Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
absolution* said:
Comm (lib) @ USYD is, i think, the coolest commerce/economic degree going around.
Minai said:
It's good if you have no idea what you want to do yet.
Otherwise it's pretty much a waste of time if you know you want to work in Accounting for example (it's an extra year)
hey hey
because the degree is so flexible (and pretty cruisey in terms of hours) it's quite easy to finish a semester early if you're keen
i think it actually saves you from doing all the subjects that you don't want to do (eg. if you want to do marketing then you don't have to do 1st year accounting etc)
also you can graduate with 3 majors
it's heaps great if you want to be at uni to learn about different things that you're interested in.. it accommodates practical components that'll get you jobs as well as your interests and other skills that will come in handy in the workplace

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Toodulu said:
hey hey
because the degree is so flexible (and pretty cruisey in terms of hours) it's quite easy to finish a semester early if you're keen
i think it actually saves you from doing all the subjects that you don't want to do (eg. if you want to do marketing then you don't have to do 1st year accounting etc)
also you can graduate with 3 majors
it's heaps great if you want to be at uni to learn about different things that you're interested in.. it accommodates practical components that'll get you jobs as well as your interests and other skills that will come in handy in the workplace
Exactly. Dont be hatin' Minai. I get to do subjects id actually interested in and have broadened opportunites because i can do 3 majors. And its only one extra year, which in the overall scheme of things isnt very much at all.

Jonathan A

HSC
MGSM say they are the best, but i have noticed that SGSM to claim certain prestige making them superior in offering the MBA.

Which is the best uni? Makes no diff, if you can't be a good and committed student.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i believe that MGSM > AGSM ...its got a good reputation now, but im not too concerned with prestige...its the quality of the MBA that matters...but each to their own, this is opinion mixed with a handful of facts

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Supra said:
i believe that MGSM > AGSM ...its got a good reputation now, but im not too concerned with prestige...its the quality of the MBA that matters...but each to their own, this is opinion mixed with a handful of facts
yeah exactly, coz AGSM is ranked higher than MGSM, but i'd still pick MGSM anyday...
its all opinion..

aditya

HSC
yeh liberal studies is a waste of time for accountants, but if ur majoring in accounting n finance with the hope of one day becoming an investment banker, then liberal studies is definately the way to go, because u can do like 48 credit point sin science, rather than going the whole way with the 5yr combined science/commerce degree... i myself hope to trasnfer into it, but i dunt think its gonna happen as i only got 91.55 uai... :<

but yeh sydney and unsw are heads over mac and uts, because i was comparing the things i was learning in business stastistcs to what mac was... and our assignments are 3fold harder than theirs....

but mac has this mad think that allows u to download voice recordings of the lectures!!! how mad is that... even if sydney could they wouldnt employ that, cuz they know its suicide for the lecturers lol... ( i dunno y mac does).

no but honestly, all this practical course bs that uts people are fed is realli realli bad, because they dont do subjects that mac, usyd, unsw do like the basics of economics and statistcs and i think they are VERY important in an accounting profession...

i have no knowledge of uws watsoever, except ill say this, if u goto uws, then u are by no means limimted to ur opportunities - that being said u need a HD withhonours etc etc. Because i know a guy that went to uws for economics and got into the reserve bank of australia graduate program... which takes the best of the best onyl... full mad

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
aditya said:
yeh liberal studies is a waste of time for accountants, but if ur majoring in accounting n finance with the hope of one day becoming an investment banker, then liberal studies is definately the way to go, because u can do like 48 credit point sin science, rather than going the whole way with the 5yr combined science/commerce degree... i myself hope to trasnfer into it, but i dunt think its gonna happen as i only got 91.55 uai... :<

but yeh sydney and unsw are heads over mac and uts, because i was comparing the things i was learning in business stastistcs to what mac was... and our assignments are 3fold harder than theirs....

but mac has this mad think that allows u to download voice recordings of the lectures!!! how mad is that... even if sydney could they wouldnt employ that, cuz they know its suicide for the lecturers lol... ( i dunno y mac does).

no but honestly, all this practical course bs that uts people are fed is realli realli bad, because they dont do subjects that mac, usyd, unsw do like the basics of economics and statistcs and i think they are VERY important in an accounting profession...

i have no knowledge of uws watsoever, except ill say this, if u goto uws, then u are by no means limimted to ur opportunities - that being said u need a HD withhonours etc etc. Because i know a guy that went to uws for economics and got into the reserve bank of australia graduate program... which takes the best of the best onyl... full mad
What? You don't need a HD's with honours to be successful if you go to UWS.

For the RBA, it's a standard process - you must graduate in an Honours or Masters degree in Finance or Economics, with a Distinction average to be considered for the interview process.

Again, to reiterate on the recruitment process (in Accounting jobs anyway) - I have a lot of friends who have either had summer interships or have a graduate job at a Big4 firm, and according to all of them, at no stage was their university considered in the recruitment process.

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
aditya said:

arh yes stats, yes i agree i seen my friends business stats for usyd compared to my stats at uws, its is a lot harder indeed. you gotta do some excel stuff. while i dont muahahaha.

X

xeuyrawp

Minai said:
wouldn't that be Macq? where you can transfer into commerce by getting a Pass average in any degree? UTS require external UAC transfers into B.Business.
Yes it is, what's your point? The drop kicks transfer easily, then drop out / flunk out in about a month.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
PwarYuex said:
Yes it is, what's your point? The drop kicks transfer easily, then drop out / flunk out in about a month.
Refer to the context of my post.

X

xeuyrawp

Minai said:
Refer to the context of my post.
Sorry, I re-read it, but I still don't understand. Maybe sarcasm or something that doesn't transfer over well in the net?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I was simply making the point that if he intends to bag another university out, he should see how it feels for him about the university he attends.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
aditya said:
mac has this mad think that allows u to download voice recordings of the lectures!!! how mad is that... even if sydney could they wouldnt employ that, cuz they know its suicide for the lecturers lol... ( i dunno y mac does).
umm actually USYD does have lecture recordings for download. Just not for everything.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah168 said:
umm actually USYD does have lecture recordings for download. Just not for everything.
AHHHH! WHAT SUBJECTS! I'll do them regardless of whether I'm interested in them or not. It'd be so trivial

X

xeuyrawp

Minai said:
I was simply making the point that if he intends to bag another university out, he should see how it feels for him about the university he attends.
hmm, ok sorry. It didn't click because you go to UNSW, rather than UTS (the uni being bagged out.)

Anyway this thread is asking for uni-bashing.

L

LaraB

PwarYuex said:
hmm, ok sorry. It didn't click because you go to UNSW, rather than UTS (the uni being bagged out.)

Anyway this thread is asking for uni-bashing.
i woudn't say that

way iu read it was more inviting people doing business to comment on why their uni is or isnt good..

i mean, how can y ou comment on a uni's course unless u have or are doing the course?

L

LaraB

anyways, im jusy ignore all the uni bashing..

i think uws is best for B Busines (HRM and IR) given that its one of the few unis that has these majors as one course in the manner it does, it has a high employment rate, draws a heap of funding for uws as the ER school ive been told is one of it notthe most profitable in the uni

big deal if the uac entry is low, its a pretty hard course and its interesting and give you a wide rang eof areas you can seek employment in

i think peopel should stop saying uni x is the best for all business or whatever like a lot of people seem to be doing coz it simply isnt true - each uni is better or worse at specific majors...eg mac seems to be great for actuarial n stuff but not for HRM type course, n uws is the opposite

it depends on the majors, the subjects you do in the majors, how hard you work etc as to whether you'll succeed...any sensible employer doenst look for a uni name, rather how you respond in a resume and how well you'll fit in and be productive in their organisation..:)

X

xeuyrawp

LaraB said:
i woudn't say that

way iu read it was more inviting people doing business to comment on why their uni is or isnt good..

i mean, how can y ou comment on a uni's course unless u have or are doing the course?
And who here has done two business degrees at two more different unis, and can then comment which is better? Very few. The fact is very few people will even admit slight bad things about their uni, and will also say it's much better than it is (
cr in accg said:
Macquarie HANDS DOWN[is the best business uni in the world]!!! This is the only uni that offers high quality business and commerce degrees! no other uni does
).

edit: that guy was in another, but similar thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)