Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

phrred

HSC
Re: USYD vs UTS. Who's better Need 2 make quick decison

u hafta get a co-op scholarship at UNSW there is no B.Acct so everyone is a BComm student

If u do it ur way u take out all the best students from UTS and UNSW but not Usyd so ur rank is even more misleading

grimreaper

HSC

Yeah theres only co-op at unsw (no cadetship as far as I know?), and even then its not only with "big 4" firms is it? (correct me if I'm wrong). From memory its around 10 firms for accounting. Additionally, graduates arent guarenteed a job when they finish uni

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC

sHoCkWaVe said:
The stats from BRW 2003 on recruitment by the Big 4:

UNSW - 57
UTS - 44
USYD - 36
Macq Uni - 18
For UNSW Accounting Co-op graduates in 2003, only three went into big 4 firms. So even if you strip that number out, UNSW still had 54 get in. In the accounting industry, UNSW and UTS are probably the ones that Big4s prefer.

And someone said that Deloittes prefers USyd. When I worked at Deloitte, the grad recruitment manager told me that in 2004, nearly half their total graduate recruits (including Accounting, Actuary, Corporate Finance, IT) were from UNSW.

Either way, what uni you went to won't make much of a difference in terms of recruitment if you're a better candidate than the others applying.

2kool4skool

HSC

Woah!! So much info.

Anyway regarding what the big 4 like, from wat iv gathered from people that have applyed, people that currently work there and partners themselves, UTS and UNSW are pretty much on par. A friend told me that at KPMG 26 out of 35 graduates of Actuarial studies were from UNSW. I've also heard from delloitte that they prefered uts students because of the parctical nature of the course. But this can vary between different people because of personal bias aswell

HSC

so did u choose uts over sydney?

2kool4skool

HSC

I ended up picking uts. This is mostly because the degree is easier for me. That and i spoke to a lot more people and they all agreed that uts was the better course and even if USYD commerce is better, it wasnt the right course for a laidback, lazy guy like me. I really don't think I wanted to do a pure, traditional, hardcore theory course, and I dont know if itz true, but that thing about Big-4 companies not allowing the cadets to go to USYD was kinda wierd.

Oh and BTW thanks to everyone who posted their opinions. Really big help

Armin88

HSC

just to brief- usyd's old, usyd smells, usyd is only good coz its called University of Sydney and nothin else, and usyd sucks....oh and it really truly deeply needs to learn from uts and start renovating its INSIDES!!!:bomb:

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC

sHoCkWaVe said:
Accounting students get to choose which firms they want to do their cadetships in, and that they had a 100% employment rate for them. So let's assume that most of them choose one of the Big 4 firms, and that all of them were employed by them. There are usually about 30 of B. Accounting students each year in UTS, and that basically has taken up many of those places that was shown in that BRW survey in regards to the number of UTS students employed by the Big 4. Where does that leave those regular B. Business students in regards to Big 4 employment chances then?
I would say that hardly any of the B.Acc or Coop people would actually choose a Big 4 firm. They can get far better jobs at an IB as Business Analysts.

Working for a Big 4 is shit.

ishq

brown?
HSC

Go for UTS.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC

uts if u doin accounting

usyd if any other major

Chicago

Now how heavy is that??!!
HSC

All the people who cant get into USYD go to UTS then say USYD sucks.... one of my mates had combined law as #1 at USYD then got into UTS LAW at #2 and now says the USYD sucks....hypocrites

Last edited:

Armin88

HSC

HAHA yeh man i was so stupid puttin usyd as my first pref....luckily put uts as my first pref afta i got my uai.....now ive realised that the highest uai courses arent always the best ones...go uts!

phrred

HSC

I dont go to either n i said accounting at UTS is better but otherwise USYD

pete_mate

HSC

sHoCkWaVe said:
Yeah, what's this about firms specifically not recommending USYD's B. Commerce here? This is beginning to sound very scary man. Do the 'real world' of accounting/financial firms really have something against USYD's Commerce degrees? Do they really much prefer UTS/UNSW's Commerce degrees instead???

Anybody with real experiences in this (job interviews, cadetship interviews, etc) care to comment on these very disturbing allegations?

Quick, because I have to decide as well. Thanks heaps! :)

no godamnit, they dont like it because sydney's timetabling is not very flexible. because they need you to be able to goto night lectures so they can enslave you.

usyd has poached most of the unsw accounting staff anyway,

phrred

HSC

pete_mate said:
no godamnit, they dont like it because sydney's timetabling is not very flexible. because they need you to be able to goto night lectures so they can enslave you.

usyd has poached most of the unsw accounting staff anyway,
thats cause ur still trying to catch up, its the same for Psych. UNSW alumni have professorships at USYD

yook

HSC

haha i agree...
some ppl say watever they cant get into sucks..

but then again usyd does suck

[no it was not my first pref... unsw was..]

boon

HSC

yook said:
haha i agree...

that what all you faliures will say
haaaa
usyd the best and you fucks know it
so dealllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
oh ya the uts building is real nice i would love to be stuck in a small box with a nice interior that i cant see

boon

HSC

yook said:
haha i agree...

Go blow yourself, gutter whore.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC

usyd is the BEST !!!! :D

pete_mate

HSC

this is a complete load of crap,

i mean, the unw versus usyd is fair game. but uts? c'mon.

if you've you're reasonably competent at hsc economics you'd of heard of the pitchford thesis right?

he's our fucking 2nd year economics lecturer!

but generally, usyd has a higher rep because it publishes more in research journals and therefore attracts higher talent = better staff = better teaching

in addition, uts' degree is a "bachelor of business" sounds like a cop-out. it sounds like you've how to do business rather than all about business, how it works, how to manage it; how to understand it.

bagging out sydney is not productive, it would be better to acknowledge the fact that it is perceived to be better and try and find out for yourself, compare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)