Which is worth more? (1 Viewer)

johnny1996

HSC
I am struggling on which subject to drop because the whole ATAR calculator thing is messing up with my head: i can see myself getting a 92 in business studies and approx a 43/50 for ext 1 & ext 2 english. Which 2 units would be worth more?

Cos the calculator seems to think the 92 in business :S ...

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
How can you determine what marks you will get? (assuming you're in prelim next year because HSC 2014) Year 11 and 12 are completely different to previous years, you can't really estimate what marks you will get.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I am struggling on which subject to drop because the whole ATAR calculator thing is messing up with my head: i can see myself getting a 92 in business studies and approx a 43/50 for ext 1 & ext 2 english. Which 2 units would be worth more?

How do you know those are the marks you'll get?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

You really shouldn't determine what subjects to drop based on an estimate of how you think you'll go, which is scaled - which is something you have no control over.

johnny1996

HSC
its not that... i just really want to do ext english but can do better in business... unsure of how the two will scale

HSC
N/A
If you have a passion for Ext English, then go for it! You'll feel more inclined to put the required amount of work and effort into it if it's a subject area you really enjoy.

The calculator is saying that a 92 in business is better because that's a band 6 mark, whereas you need above 45/50 to achieve an E4 (the extension equivalent to a band 6). Scaling regularly changes and is dependent on factors like rank and school performance, as well as the subject area, so you can't rely on that.

Is there a way you can start the year doing both Business and Ext I, then drop one of them later on?

Capt Rifle

HSC
Dude, disregard the calculator and do the subject you know you will achieve a high rank in.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Forget the calculators as has been said and just do both during preliminary! You might feel like like dropping extension english come year 12 or not want to do EE2. It's also risky having exactly 12 units with extensions during prelimnary as it puts you in a weird position if you want to drop one of the extensions during the year.

nifkeh

HSC
in year 10, you may have high aims, but easier said than done. sorry, but this is reality

it is fairly easy to get thrown by an exam or questions in any subject, so even though you're capable of a 90+, one exam can easily thrash you to get maybe 80 instead, even though you are a good student (e.g. the question was very specific, and you don't enough detail on it so you got thrown, or the time factor).

so even though you say I can get a 92 in BS or 43/50 in EE2 or EE1 (it is pretty hard to get in both actually, I got 42/50 for prelim EE1 and english is definitely not a low maintenance sub), that can easily change in year 11. Plus, HSC content is usually more varied and difficult, so even if you were a 90+ student in year 11, you could easily become a band 5 student in year 12 if you didn't pace yourself fast.

scaling changes every year, but I think BS has kind of a lower scaling by a little than EE1, which is a bit less than EE2. However with those marks it isn't a major significance like a drop or gain to an ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)