which laptop is better? (1 Viewer)

= Jennifer =

HSC
i am trying to decide on a laptop for me to use to type up my uni stuff and surf the net for assessments and stuff, it is not for gaming or pictures or music really and i found these two:

Toshiba Satellite L10 Notebook. $1,482.00

PROCESSOR - Intel Celeron M Processor 360 1.4GHz (400MHz)
MEMORY - 256MB (PC2100)
HARD DRIVE - 40GB
OPTICAL DRIVE - DVD SuperMulti Drive (DVD±R±RW, DVD-RAM)
READ AND WRITE SPEED - Read: CD-ROM⁄CD-Rx24, CD-RWx12, DVD-ROMx8, DVD-R⁄-RWx4, DVD+R⁄+RWx4, DVD-RAMx3; Write: CD-Rx24, CD-RWx4, HS CD-RWx10, DVD-Rx8, DVD-RWx4,DVD+Rx8, DVD+RWx4, DVD-RAMx3
COLOUR DISPLAY - 15" T-XGA Active Matrix colour display
RESOLUTION - 1024 x 768
VIDEO - Intel 852GM Extreme Graphics with up to 64MB shared video memory (UMA)
TV-OUT PORT - S-Video
AUDIO - AC '97 Software Sound with Direct3DSound
LAN - 10⁄100 Base TX Ethernet
MODEM - International V.92 data modem + fax
SPEAKERS - Stereo speakers
CARD READER - Not specified by Manufacturer
DISKETTE DRIVE - No
USB PORT - 3 x Hi-Speed USB 2.0
PARALLEL PORT - No
SERIAL PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
PC CARD SLOT - One PC Card slot supports one Type II PC Card
IEEE1394 PORT - No
INFRA-RED PORT - No
BLUE TOOTH - No
SECURITY OPTIONS - Not specified by Manufacturer
SOFTWARE - Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 (OEM), Toshiba Assist, Toshiba utilities, Microsoft OneNote 2003, RecordNow! Basic for TOSHIBA, ConfigFree, Intervideo WinDVD, Intervideo WinDVD Creator 2 Platinum, Norton Antivirus 2005, Adobe Acrobat Reader
ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE - 3 hours
WEIGHT - 2.8kg
WARRANTY - 1 year international parts and labour warranty. Domestic warranty includes onsite courier pickup and return service

Compaq Presario v2157AP Notebook $1599

PROCESSOR - Intel Celeron M Processor 350 1.3GHz (400MHz)
MEMORY - 256MB DDR266
HARD DRIVE - 40GB 4200RPM
OPTICAL DRIVE - DVD+⁄-RW with Double Layer Support
READ AND WRITE SPEED - Not specified by Manufacturer
COLOUR DISPLAY - 14.0" WXGA BrightView Widescreen LCD panel
RESOLUTION - Not specified by Manufacturer
VIDEO - Integrated Intel Extreme graphics 2
TV-OUT PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
AUDIO - Not specified by Manufacturer
LAN - 802.11b⁄g WLAN Integrated 10⁄100 LAN
MODEM - High speed 56K modem
SPEAKERS - JBL Pro speakers
CARD READER - 6-in-1 media reader
DISKETTE DRIVE - Not specified by Manufacturer
USB PORT - 3 USB 2.0
PARALLEL PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
SERIAL PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
PC CARD SLOT - 1 Type I⁄II PC Card slot
IEEE1394 PORT - IEEE 1394
INFRA-RED PORT - Not specified by Manufacturer
BLUE TOOTH - Not specified by Manufacturer
SECURITY OPTIONS - Not specified by Manufacturer
SOFTWARE - Microsoft Windows XP Home, Microsoft Works 8.0, Microsoft Money 2005, Microsoft Encarta 2005 (CD), Microsoft Windows Media Player 10, Intervideo WinDVD, InterVideo WinDVD Creator (CD), Sonic RecordNow, Muvee AutoProducer DVD Edition, Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, Apple iTunes for Windows, Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2005 (60 days live update)
ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE - Not specified by Manufacturer
WEIGHT - 2.36kg
WARRANTY - 1 year warranty

sunny

meh.
HSC
For what you have said you want a laptop for, either is fine and can do the job you want. The only plus the Presario has over the Satellite is it has got a wireless network card built in to it. If you plan to carry this laptop around I would suggest you look at the weight - they are both quite heavy laptops.

= Jennifer =

HSC
sunny said:
For what you have said you want a laptop for, either is fine and can do the job you want. The only plus the Presario has over the Satellite is it has got a wireless network card built in to it. If you plan to carry this laptop around I would suggest you look at the weight - they are both quite heavy laptops.

thanks for your advice...i forgot to look at the weight :p

even the apple ones are 2.2 kg

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
= Jennifer = said:
celeron is?
It is a type of processor. Its the first item listed in the specs. Celerons are not as powerful as Pentium processors, but for web browsing and word processing its not going to matter.

jm1234567890 said:
2.3kg ain't too bad

to carry in your bag you should look for ~2kg
I agree. Anything over 2kg will get heavier and heavier when you carry it more....

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I've been told that celerons were good for battery life...?

Or was that Centrinos?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ujuphleg said:

Or was that Centrinos?
Centrino -> Intel's brand for Pemtium M + Intel Wireless set

Pentium M -> a good laptop processor

Celeron M -> little brother of Pentium M, less performance, poorer battery life, cheaper

sunny

meh.
HSC
ujuphleg said:

Or was that Centrinos?
A "Centrino" is just a badge name for a combination of a Pentium M processor, certain Intel family chipsets and a onboard wireless network card.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
jennifer what u gonn use the laptops for? internet and writing notes? well if thast it , u wont need any more powerful laptops then these, which means dont need to spend money, but like some other dude said , weight is yuor main concern now

HSC
I don't know why everyone seems to think weight is such an important factor :/ Mine is about 3.5 kg and I don't have any trouble carrying it around; I think weight is probably the last thing I'd look at when deciding on a system to buy.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
I don't know why everyone seems to think weight is such an important factor :/ Mine is about 3.5 kg and I don't have any trouble carrying it around; I think weight is probably the last thing I'd look at when deciding on a system to buy.
i personally dont own a laptop so dont know if weigh is really bad or not to me, but i watch my friend who has a 3+ kg laplot and when he has sweat dripping from him and constantly complaining of shoulder pain, i think its a big deal to him. he doesnt like the weight

klh

HSC
weight is a factor if , as well as your laptop, you have to lug around textbooks and etc.

have you guys heard the transmeta processor laptops? theyre dead cheap at just 1300 which is good if its nothing to do with games and stuff...ill post a link to it but i dont knw the reliability of the brand..have you?

HSC
I carry mine around as well as a seperate bag of textbooks, and I still think I'd be more concerned with the system itself. But fair enough, I guess if it's causing shoulder pain and what not then that's a pretty good reason for people to go with something light :)

Regarding the Acer machines, I've looked at a few of them recently and they all look to be pretty respectable systems.

klh

HSC
acer is alright...just alot of the computer geeks [that i know of] have said no to acer or indeed any pre-made brand name becoz they prefer to build it themselves and see that the specs arent as good etc...many constraints for them to fiddle withthe system. but its totally ok with someone who just uses it and not a fiddler

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)