Which major Commerce/Law? (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Hey guys,

Which major would be most appropriate if I wanted to do corporate law in the future? (UNSW btw)

ACCTA14733 Accounting
ACTLB14733 Actuarial Studies
ECONF14733 Business Economics
ECONI14733 Business Strategy & Economic Mgmt
ECONJ14733 Financial Economics
FINSA14733 Finance
MGMTH14733 Human Resources Management
INFSA14733 Information Systems
IBUSA14733 International Business
MGMTA14733 Management
MARKA14733 Marketing

I detest Maths and I didn't do Maths so Finance or Financial Economics don't seem viable. Which would be most appropriate and relevant? I was thinking Business Strategy and Eco Management.

Thoughts?

Cheers

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say if you plan on doing corporate law in the future, either accounting or finance. Finance because then you'll understand a lot more about what's going on in deals and transactions (nb. I work in this space from the accounting side and regularly deal with lawyers and IBers), or accounting because then you'll understand the stuff which you're actually reviewing the legal documents for. I don't think business strategy or economics will be very useful because they'd be more towards either consultancy or finance rather than commercial law.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Will my lack of knowledge of 2U Maths disadvantage me?
It's not a required anymore but highly recommended. Did you do general maths or none at all? If none at all, I'd say you would struggle with the finance/economics related subjects since even the core Commerce subjects (i.e. the first year subjects) will require some calculations involving calculus and mathematical analysis.

ps. From the list you posted first, I'd say actuarial and economics are out for sure (since these are very heavy maths focussed). Finance can be done on the qualitative side but you'll still need to do the basics which involve some maths.

acemusic415

HSC
I did General in Year 11 and some of 2U before dropping it. So would I need to touch up on some of the course or the entire course? I have numerous friends who could help me, but would it extremely disadvantage me? Is it more statistics and algebra?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go to the open day and quiz them about it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I did General in Year 11 and some of 2U before dropping it. So would I need to touch up on some of the course or the entire course? I have numerous friends who could help me, but would it extremely disadvantage me? Is it more statistics and algebra?
I'll put it this way, I was band six in 2u maths and I struggled with statistics (core subject). Different people will fare differently but I'd say stats was up there as one of the most challenging subjects for me.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
besides stats, which is a core subject for commerce, has some baby maths in it. most people get through it, unsw offers quite a lot of help on stuff people struggle with

accounting maths = addition, subtraction, multiplication, division

finance maths = memorize given formula.. maybe... 10 formulas per course, enter numbers, occasionally you need to do some simple rearranging to make something else the subject. no manipulation/calculus etc
e.g. typical question would be, using a memorized equation "RE = rf + b[RM-rf]" find RE when they give you rf, b, RM

enoilgam

HSC
besides stats, which is a core subject for commerce, has some baby maths in it. most people get through it, unsw offers quite a lot of help on stuff people struggle with

accounting maths = addition, subtraction, multiplication, division

finance maths = memorize given formula.. maybe... 10 formulas per course, enter numbers, occasionally you need to do some simple rearranging to make something else the subject. no manipulation/calculus etc
e.g. typical question would be, using a memorized equation "RE = rf + b[RM-rf]" find RE when they give you rf, b, RM
This, especially with regards to accounting. I always thought that accounting was heavy on maths, but really the only maths you do is the basic operations.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait until you get to higher level finance :p Black scholes much? That being said, it's not just memorising the equation, but trying to remember the little details as to how it works. I guess in hindsight it wasn't *that* bad, but if you don't have general maths under your sleeves you may want to try and get your brain/mind back in the mood to calculate stuff since the core quantitative subjects in Commerce are very numbers focussed (e.g. NPV calculations of different scenarios).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)