• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

which major should i choose from commerce for the course of Bcomce/Bscience(ad maths) (1 Viewer)

owenzou

HSC
i do B commerce/B science(advanced maths) at UNSW, i will shoose the major of quantitative risks for the B science(advanced maths), which major am i supposed to choose for the commerce in order to suit with the quantitative risk? i am afraid that if i choose finance from commerce,that might overlap with quantitative risk.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Re: which major should i choose from commerce for the course of Bcomce/Bscience(ad ma

quant risk won't teach you fuck all so just do finance

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: which major should i choose from commerce for the course of Bcomce/Bscience(ad ma

I'm glad I asked first before I decided on my Adv Maths major. Thanks Studentleader =)

deterministic

HSC

^That, or alternately either do:
- Quant risk alone in an advanced maths degree (You do most of the finance courses as you would in a finance major + you may learn some real maths in maths courses). The extra year is a waste of time.
- Do finance and statistics/applied/pure maths if you want to do some maths

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

- Quant risk alone in an advanced maths degree (You do most of the finance courses as you would in a finance major + you may learn some real maths in maths courses). The extra year is a waste of time.
This guy knows what he's talking about.

Would you hire someone with honours or a commerce degree for a maths job? Seriously.

owenzou

HSC

Does your first option mean finance+quantitative risk?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Does your first option mean finance+quantitative risk?
Subscribe to WSJ/The Economist (not recommended)/AFR
Read for 3 years during your maths degree on the bus
Beat every cunt in finance interviews

owenzou

HSC

fine, i might choose finance and quantitative risk as my majors and try to get into a financial institution after i graduated.

deterministic

HSC

fine, i might choose finance and quantitative risk as my majors and try to get into a financial institution after i graduated.
\facepalm

This is what we are suggesting you don't do. Either do finance in a single commerce degree OR quant risk in a single maths degree, but not both together. If you insist on doing finance in commerce, then do some applied/pure/stats in the adv maths component.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

I'm doing Finance/Stats.

I'd do pure... but uhh, that might be a little outrageous for me.

owenzou

HSC

\facepalm

This is what we are suggesting you don't do. Either do finance in a single commerce degree OR quant risk in a single maths degree, but not both together. If you insist on doing finance in commerce, then do some applied/pure/stats in the adv maths component.
why shouldnt i do finance and quantitative risk together?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

quant risk is for people who dont realise doing pure maths is better

deterministic

HSC

Because you are essentially doing the same thing twice as most of the courses in each major overlap, while wasting one year in doing so.

owenzou

HSC

Because you are essentially doing the same thing twice as most of the courses in each major overlap, while wasting one year in doing so.
But i think the quantitative risk is more mathematic than finance so if i do both i could have deeper understanding about finance. and i feel quantitative risk is similar to actuarial studies but easier to study.
by the way, i just wanna do the course about finance, the course for applied maths is more about physics and chemistry. Pure maths is too theoretical. statistics,i dont know too much about this course.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

Subscribe to WSJ/The Economist (not recommended)/AFR
Read for 3 years during your maths degree on the bus
Beat every cunt in finance interviews
Sounds interesting. More info on this WSJ/AFR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)