Which maths for Neuroscience major? (1 Viewer)

plasticities

HSC
I originally enrolled in MATH1041 because it was part of the course structure for a Neuroscience major (though I am keeping my options open) but a friend already at UNSW said that it was a lot harder and wasn't necessary. He recommended doing MATH1031, but would doing that have any impact later on if I did choose neuroscience as a major?

dotslikeme

HSC
Thank you! So it's not really a subject up for debate?
yeah, I don't think so. But if you're in Bachelor of science, you might also be able to do BOTH math1031 and math1041 because the math1031 can be counted as the free level 1 science electives :)

I'm also doing babs1201 next semester!

plasticities

HSC
yeah, I don't think so. But if you're in Bachelor of science, you might also be able to do BOTH math1031 and math1041 because the math1031 can be counted as the free level 1 science electives :)

I'm also doing babs1201 next semester!
Oh okay, so I would do math1031 this coming semester and then math1041 in semester 2?

Hey me too! :D

dotslikeme

HSC
I checked the handbook and both math1041 and math1031 is only offered in semester 1. So you better enroll in math1041 this semester because that's your major requirement!

haha, I'm in bachelor of psychology and doing BABS1021 for my elective.. Next sem I will be doing NEUR2201 because I'm interested in neuroscience.

HSC
If it's your major requirement and it doesn't recommend the other maths subject as a 'recommended elective' I wouldn't bother taking it, because it seems they deem statistics to be enough maths to complete further coursework in that major. I guess however if you want to take more maths, and like maths, then go ahead and take it next time around, but I wouldn't if it were me in that situation:)

plasticities

HSC
I checked the handbook and both math1041 and math1031 is only offered in semester 1. So you better enroll in math1041 this semester because that's your major requirement!

haha, I'm in bachelor of psychology and doing BABS1021 for my elective.. Next sem I will be doing NEUR2201 because I'm interested in neuroscience.
Yeah I think it was a good decision that I went with my gut instinct and enrolled in 1041. That sounds awesome, I'm doing psyc1001 this semester :)

dotslikeme

HSC
oooh, psyc1001 is good, it's really interesting. I did it last year and I really liked it.

plasticities

HSC
If it's your major requirement and it doesn't recommend the other maths subject as a 'recommended elective' I wouldn't bother taking it, because it seems they deem statistics to be enough maths to complete further coursework in that major. I guess however if you want to take more maths, and like maths, then go ahead and take it next time around, but I wouldn't if it were me in that situation:)
Yeah it doesn't list it as a recommended elective and if I need to take 1041 anyway, I am most definitely not doing more maths then needed hah

Last edited:

plasticities

HSC
oooh, psyc1001 is good, it's really interesting. I did it last year and I really liked it.
Yay, this is making me keen. Although I heard from a friend that marks are capped and there's a lot of essay writing (which was to imply it's hard but I don't mind essay writing) is that true?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Yay, this is making me keen. Although I heard from a friend that marks are capped and there's a lot of essay writing (which was to imply it's hard but I don't mind essay writing) is that true?
I think that is quite true, it becomes harder to score marks in essay questions and sometimes it can be that they want to maintain standards so they are reluctant to give out marks. but if u do well, u should be fine.

Last edited:

plasticities

HSC
I think that is quite true, it becomes harder to score marks in essay questions and sometimes it can be that they want to maintain standards so they are reluctant to give out marks. but if u do well, u should be fine.
So it's not something to make a big deal out of? She didn't want to do psych because of it :/

dotslikeme

HSC
For psyc1001, there was very minimal writing.

1) There was half a report to write. Many people did badly at this. However, just do your referencing carefully, answer the question and good format and they will give you great marks. I got 86 for this one although I am not an amazing writer.

2) A very brief writing about referencing and answering questions based on a given journal.

So yeah there was very little writing for psyc1001 :)

plasticities

HSC
For psyc1001, there was very minimal writing.

1) There was half a report to write. Many people did badly at this. However, just do your referencing carefully, answer the question and good format and they will give you great marks. I got 86 for this one although I am not an amazing writer.

2) A very brief writing about referencing and answering questions based on a given journal.

So yeah there was very little writing for psyc1001 :)
Thanks for the advice and heads up :D

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the advice and heads up :D
yeah it depends on what level you study psyc to, i think the writing thing capping comes into play quite strongly, once you pursue it to high levels (that is the subjects).... so your friend is correct when she says it becomes difficult to score marks, because it relies on essay writing obviously so much more when compared to your straight science/math units..so hence become more difficult to score marks, because marking deviates from been the standard marking scheme answers to how they perceive ur answer. That said, if you do well there is nothing to debate. Good Luck

plasticities

HSC
yeah it depends on what level you study psyc to, i think the writing thing capping comes into play quite strongly, once you pursue it to high levels (that is the subjects).... so your friend is correct when she says it becomes difficult to score marks, because it relies on essay writing obviously so much more when compared to your straight science/math units..so hence become more difficult to score marks, because marking deviates from been the standard marking scheme answers to how they perceive ur answer. That said, if you do well there is nothing to debate. Good Luck
Okay, that makes sense. I was looking at the handbook and I have psych subjects right up until 3rd year so I would have take the capping into consideration then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)