Which should I choose?? (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
With an english essay should I choose to (A) go the easy way - agree with the question and do the dominant reading or (B) do the harder way; disagree with the question by writing an alternative, out of the ordinary reading/response that will be really challenging.

Option (B) will be harder to pull off but could potentially be much better marks but option (A) is easier to pull off!

Hmmm, which should I choose??

undalay

HSC
You can't get more then the maximum allocated marks.
Remember that.

HSC
chances are if you're in the exam you will go with the easy option but if you practice enough you can make the "harder" version the easy version.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, it comes down to what you really believe. If you sincerely disagree with the question, then by all means, go against it, and score the extra marks - because your response will be heartfelt. If you're going to go against it just to get the extra marks, forget it, as your response will be hollow.

bored of sc

HSC
Well I do disagree with the question but I have already written half my essay for agreeing with the question - and the essay is so bad. :mad: I need a draft done by tomorrow but I need sleep so I think I am going to stick with what I have! Damn! I wish I hadn't left it off for so long - its due on Thursday! :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, if I were in your situation, I'd go for the easy way out, and agree with the question, and do just your standard cookie cutter essay - with a little bit of flair - if I'm short for time.

bored of sc

HSC
Aerath said:
Well, if I were in your situation, I'd go for the easy way out, and agree with the question, and do just your standard cookie cutter essay - with a little bit of flair - if I'm short for time.
Thanks, will take that into account.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Regardless, memorising essays is not a good idea (well, I don't think it is, others beg to differ, of course).

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
bored of sc said:
Well I do disagree with the question but I have already written half my essay for agreeing with the question - and the essay is so bad. :mad: I need a draft done by tomorrow but I need sleep so I think I am going to stick with what I have! Damn! I wish I hadn't left it off for so long - its due on Thursday! :(
Oh noes! :(

Thursday 2:00AM FTW :rofl: No seriously, you have ages, don't worry about it.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Agree with the question. 90% of the time disagreeing with the question leads to a mediocre essay. However, if you're really good at constructing a plausible agument and know how to argue your points then go for it.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I'm guessing this is the Othello critical analysis right? ;)

I knew you would be in trouble if you were to blame Othello as the villainous character instead of Iago. Go the opposite :). Agree with it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lucky you - seems you prepared for the right question. :p

dpospination

HSC
i have been told, (by people who have previously completed teh HSC (and have achieved brilliant results)) that writing a generic essay is the way to go, beacuse then u can adapt it. however, generic essays may not have as many storng arguements as a 'question specific' essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)