Which trial papers are usually the most difficult? (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering, which trial papers are usually the hardest compared to other trial papers and the actual HSC? I've found that Catholic papers are quite solid, and papers from Sydney Grammer are also quite demanding.

I was just wondering which past papers I should do leading up to the trials, and for the HSC itself?

Another thing, is it best to practice trial papers or past HSC papers for the HSC?
I mean, don't they say trials are usually harder than the HSC, not all of them, but quite a few?

rama_v

HSC
Yeah, Ruse can be quite hard as can Sydney Boys...I find however that the hardest questions, especially in 3 unit, occur in the HSC and not in most trials, so make sure that you at least you do tee last questions from previous HSC exams...

rsingh

HSC
hmm, so you're saying that the harder questions appear in the real HSC? I guess then I better work from past HSC papers. I agree, some of the harder questions from the 70s and 80s in 3u are quite challenging!

Well thank you for your input!

By the way, does anyone have any past trial papers from North Sydney or Sydney Boys?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
I have a few. The CSSA, Grammar and Ruse ones are better though, and I have all them from the last 15 odd years. It would take me too long to scan up though.

FinalFantasy

HSC
kimmeh said:
SGS = Maths is hard (esp 4u)
CSSA = Similar to HSC
Ruse = Chem i found hard (due to the distribution of the marks and thus, making it hard to gain marks)
CSSA 3unit maths similar to HSC i agree
but CSSA 4unit is no way similar!!

ishq

brown?
HSC
I did the past CSSA papers for 3U: 1999-2004.
They are all the same! With minor changes in the numbers involved...
Especially with circle geometry, SHM an d projectiles.

Oh well, cant complain :D
hope they continue the trend:D
Past HSC papers are pretty similar to CSSA...i've done 1995-2000.

How much are you guys averaging in terms of time?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Last edited:

Isomorph

HSC
Speaking of difficulty of trials, Bored of Studies trials are great, but one of our recent school exams was in fact harder! (I have done BoS trials and papers from all sorts of public and private schools as well as HSC exams, so can accurately compare). It was pretty incredible, and is certainly one of the better exams in math extension 2 recent history both internals and externals (save the rather tight time limit).

5uMath

HSC
Speaking of difficulty of trials, Bored of Studies trials are great, but one of our recent school exams was in fact harder! (I have done BoS trials and papers from all sorts of public and private schools as well as HSC exams, so can accurately compare). It was pretty incredible, and is certainly one of the better exams in math extension 2 recent history both internals and externals (save the rather tight time limit).
Could you provide a copy?

Isomorph

HSC
We haven't received them back yet! I'm not sure if I'm yet at liberty to reveal exam questions, so I'll err on the side of caution.

However, here's a question of comparable difficulty to the moderate to harder (but not hardest) questions of the exam:

Suppose a, b, c > 0 and abc=1. Now prove that a^2+b^2+c^2 >= a+b+c

5uMath

HSC
We haven't received them back yet! I'm not sure if I'm yet at liberty to reveal exam questions, so I'll err on the side of caution.

However, here's a question of comparable difficulty to the moderate to harder (but not hardest) questions of the exam:

Suppose a, b, c > 0 and abc=1. Now prove that a^2+b^2+c^2 >= a+b+c
Couldnt you just solve for a, b and c from the equation abc = 1 then substitute, simplify and justify?

If you are allowed to post this test later on, that would be great!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
That's what a lot of people think because things turn out different when you physically sit an exam under time pressure and know it's the real deal. I have yet to see any high school paper come close to bos trial level difficulty. Even Sydney Grammar doesn't come close. When you actually sit the Bos trial under time pressure man it is insanely hard. I still remember sitting the paper lol

5uMath

HSC
That's what a lot of people think because things turn out different when you physically sit an exam under time pressure and know it's the real deal. I have yet to see any high school paper come close to bos trial level difficulty. Even Sydney Grammar doesn't come close. When you actually sit the Bos trial under time pressure man it is hard. I still remember sitting the paper lol
You could treat a b c as roots to a cubic polynomial then make a statement from that as well. True, under pressure is different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)