Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
You're an idiot HerO, i've talked to employers and they really don't care about prestige.
If you get a D average at uws, u'll do better than someone with a C average at usyd...
If you both get a D average, they'll take it on a case-by-case basis.

Employers are after people that'll do their job in the best way for the cheapest ammount of money.
No need 4 expletives man, i'm juz putting my point across and u don't have to agree with it if u don't wanna. I know if I become a manager one day, then prestige is definitely on my checklist, not the deciding factor but a factor none the less. I also agree with u that grades do count, i would definitely employ a D avg graduate ahead of a person who barely survived and couldn't hack uni no matter which uni they went to. But I doubt If u were able to make into some the the top uni's in the first place, i doubt they would do THAT badly.

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
natstar said:
I think your kidding yourself mate. Of course they will think of Usyd. Its been around since the 1800's, and of course its intially associated with "Sydney".
How many employees do you know that will employee granduates from more prestigious uni's ahead of grads from less prestigious uni's?

In my field of marketing, a lot of communication and interpersonal contact is made. You have to have a outgoing persoanlity to be able to succeed in the career. Havent you seen ad's for marketing, communication, advertising, PR etc types of jobs- Always- a big personality and energy is a must.

Everyone has a choice of what uni they go too. I didnt want to go to USYD. It wasent even on my preference list.
Hmmm, "how many employees do you know that will employee granduates from more prestigious uni's ahead of grads from less prestigious uni's", that just didn't make any sense lol, UWS is kinda in shambles at the moment don't u think?...u definitely should of went to macquarie for marketing ;)

sarevok

HSC
It's hilarious to see UWS students get so defensive when any one makes the slightest negative comment about their Uni.
Anyway, prestige can matter, but it depends on the employer. Employment statistics show that the Big 4 Accounting Firms recruit mainly from UNSW, UTS, and Sydney; big law firms also tend to only recruit from the more prestigious Universities. So if you want to work for one of those employers and go to a Uni which has crappy prestige like UWS, you're most likely not going to get the job.
Overall, experience and personality count for more. But a degree from a prestigious University obviously looks better on a resume than one from a less prestigious University - and this can only improve your chances of getting the job.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm already doing work experience for a 40+ employee law firm, i have been told that uws is fine etc...
I think if i choose to take a job in law, i will get it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I won't argue that the probably 3 largest law firms in sydney would accept me.
I'm pretty sure they probably take the best from usyd, unsw & maybe uts because in general this is where the best law graduates come from.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Has anyone here actually called up and talked to employers?
cuz like... before i chose my degree i actually called up and spoke to the head honcho of a few places i can picture myself working for in the future to make sure i'd be ok..

berghousemaa

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Has anyone here actually called up and talked to employers?
cuz like... before i chose my degree i actually called up and spoke to the head honcho of a few places i can picture myself working for in the future to make sure i'd be ok..
Do you actually think they're gonna say outright thta you have little to no chance if you attend one of the least prestigious uni's. Not Sayint thta he's lying but thye certainly wouldn't tell the truth if they only recruited form the big 3.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
HerO said:
So in the end, Usyd is incomparable, it doesn't matter what course ur doing, if most people had a choice they would choose Usyd in an instant. :cool:
I had a choice, and I didn't choose USyd.

If we go back toward topic, I think ANU would be the most prestigious uni at the moment. In every one of those rankings publications released in the last year, ANU has come out on top in Australia, it gets the most funding from the government and hence spends a lot more on research. Sydney Uni would be second, because of its age, its sandstone, and being the largest university in NSW (in terms of student numbers, meaning in general, the most sought after uni by students in NSW). But I think ANU comes out on top because of what its doing now.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I had a choice between USYD and UNSW....but seeing as i was doing engineering UNSW won seeing as it has the best engineering faculty....But i would say USYD is more prestigious on the whole

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
To the general person, Usyd is the most prestigious in everything. whatever that means.

But to people in the position to know in certain areas (psychologists, lawyers etc), it depends on what area you are bloody talking about. Maquarie should be the most prestigious in humanities esp. ancient history (well known scholars, they have their own museum and they have their own juicy dig in Egypt), and people in those areas of AH know that, but to the general person they will always just say usyd is more prestigous, because its older.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
The most prestigious uni? In name, I'd say that's Australian National University, since it's associated with the country as a whole. USyd would be next, since it's the oldest university in Australia.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Juicy dig, HA! THe bastards left me without any units to do this year cos they all packed up and left!

LazyBoy

HSC
yeah i disagree with that, it deepnds on what degree and what i want to do. Btw natster, im agree you can get a good job if you go to a shitty rep place like UWS. You cannot deny that it has a shit rep, because it does. When i first got into ACU the first thing everybody said was "think yourself lucky at least you dont have to go to UWS". But thats just a response on reputation, you will still get a good job because in the end it comes down on how well you can sell yourself.

With that said i can still see how prestigue could place you ahead. Say person a and b were very similar candidates, both had similar impact in the interview. One went to UWS and one went to USYD, the one who went to USYD would more probably get the job because it has more prestigue to it. If thats what it came down to, but theres no way the the D average student fromUWS would loose to the C or P average student from USYD

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Your constant attacks on the west and uws in various threads leads me to believe you're an arrogant git.

MOST employers honestly don't know the difference between usyd, uws, etc. seriously they don't, unless you're getting into law, economics of finance i doubt the 'prestige' factor will matter at all.
If Person a and person b both had nothing else, only two C averages...they both had a good interview, it would come down to a personal choice. If that person thinks that USYD has a better faculty or whatever it might come into play...
But i seriously doubt you're going to get the extra edge from how prestigious the uni is alone..

Lainee

HSC
One employer I talked to gave me this comparison: it's like unis choosing you based on what high school you went to. From this I inferred that academic and other performance (basically showing the employer that you have aptitude in whatever) is considered first and foremost, but after this is a basket-mix of other criteria - some employers emphasising some aspects more than others.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lainee said:
One employer I talked to gave me this comparison: it's like unis choosing you based on what high school you went to. From this I inferred that academic and other performance (basically showing the employer that you have aptitude in whatever) is considered first and foremost, but after this is a basket-mix of other criteria - some employers emphasising some aspects more than others.
That was a good explanation. Rep.

LazyBoy

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Your constant attacks on the west and uws in various threads leads me to believe you're an arrogant git.

MOST employers honestly don't know the difference between usyd, uws, etc. seriously they don't, unless you're getting into law, economics of finance i doubt the 'prestige' factor will matter at all.
If Person a and person b both had nothing else, only two C averages...they both had a good interview, it would come down to a personal choice. If that person thinks that USYD has a better faculty or whatever it might come into play...
But i seriously doubt you're going to get the extra edge from how prestigious the uni is alone..
1. from your avatar, and your post about banging a 15 year old would lead me to beleive your sociopathic rapist.

2. I have not attacked UWS as a university, exept its reputation. Which is fair, no one can deny that it have a good rep prestige wise. Nor did i attack the west. review some of the posts in the thread in question. All i have to say is watch how you use the words attacks, as no 'attack' on the west or uws was made.

Last edited:

shane_86

HSC
f*ck all other uni's if any uni had more prestige it would be the universiy of western sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)