Which uni for finance degree ? (1 Viewer)

hussk

HSC
Hey guys,
i want to do a finance degree but cant choose between two unis, UTS and macquarie. would appreciate it if someone could could tell me the best option to choose. these are my choices coz ive heard theyre the best for finance but if any1 has any other suggestions(in sydney), im listening.

thanks.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
hussk said:
Hey guys,
i want to do a finance degree but cant choose between two unis, UTS and macquarie. would appreciate it if someone could could tell me the best option to choose. these are my choices coz ive heard theyre the best for finance but if any1 has any other suggestions(in sydney), im listening.

thanks.
Hussk, I was in the same situation as you in high school. I decided to go UNSW. It's served me well, and I got the degree I wanted, got the job I wanted, and enjoying a semester on exchange rite now.

I would highly recommend UNSW to you if you are doing any Commerce discipline, particularly accounting and finance.

I think most recruiters in the finance industry probably regard UNSW as their preferred choice for graduates, however more depends on the candidate and their background (academic and extra-curricular) than what university they attended. Unfortunately, there is no unbiased means of what is "better", all you can do is take all the subjective opinions you get and do some other research to find out what suits you best.

Hope that helps!

Rorix

HSC
hussk said:
Hey guys,
i want to do a finance degree but cant choose between two unis, UTS and macquarie.would appreciate it if someone could could tell me the best option to choose.

USYD or UNSW. Coop program at UNSW is good, if you can't get that I'd be indifferent between Sydney or NSW.

these are my choices coz ive heard theyre the best for finance but if any1 has any other suggestions(in sydney), im listening.

thanks.
Mac is 3rd, UTS 4th..but the gap is quite large. As Newbie said..some banks don't even consider UTS for front office.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Banks try to hire the best grads, and they a lot tend to come from UNSW since it has more selective-school people. This doesn't mean that UNSW provides the finance education. In the end, it's about the people, not the institution.

On the contrary, I think the finance school at UNSW is pretty crap - bunch of lecturers with almost no industry experience and no technical skills (mathematical, computing, etc) who teach straight textbook stuff and produce theoretically-weak empirical research that becomes obsolete after a few years when the market dynamics change.

Last edited:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Rorix said:
USYD or UNSW. Coop program at UNSW is good, if you can't get that I'd be indifferent between Sydney or NSW.

Mac is 3rd, UTS 4th..but the gap is quite large. As Newbie said..some banks don't even consider UTS for front office.
I know two US investment banks that do not consider UTS for their front-office positions. One of them went to UTS to do a presentation on positions in accounting, administration and other back office positions. One of the students asked during a Q&A session about jobs in investment banking. The speaker replied that they did not recruit front office positions from UTS.

I had two friends of mine from UTS email me and complain about it.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
mr_shittles said:
The speaker replied that they did not recruit front office positions from UTS.

I had two friends of mine from UTS email me and complain about it.
Wow... harsh!

atreus

HSC
i have heard its mainly unsw and macquarie that are better for finance. i havent heard many good things about usyd though.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
hussk said:
Hey guys,

thanks.
Best for finance? Nah

USYD or UNSW, the major itself is probably slightly better at UNSW, although your second major/degree type would matter too, for example if my two majors were economics and finance, I'd probably take USYD.

Mac and UTS are about the same, Mac has specific finance degrees though, not sure about UTS. I would take Mac.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
It's not really about which school is better, the problem is that if you go anywhere but NSW or Sydney people will think you couldn't get into them..

HSC
§eraphim said:
Banks try to hire the best grads, and they a lot tend to come from UNSW since it has more selective-school people.
What the fuck? Since when did going to a selective school become a factor in getting a job post degree? Im doing a commerce degree at unsw, came from a non selective non sydney publich school....so this means I cant get a job? Fuck you people get off your high horses, schools over so get over it for fucks sake.

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
RideTheLightnin said:
What the fuck? Since when did going to a selective school become a factor in getting a job post degree? Im doing a commerce degree at unsw, came from a non selective non sydney publich school....so this means I cant get a job? Fuck you people get off your high horses, schools over so get over it for fucks sake.
Sorry, but all yes equal, yes.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
RideTheLightnin said:
lol if you're that worried just write on your resume you came from SBHS, how would they know if you did or not

lmao

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
jb_nc said:
lol if you're that worried just write on your resume you came from SBHS, how would they know if you did or not

lmao
You're stupid.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
RideTheLightnin said:
I'm not talking about high school boy's club only hiring their own kind. You got to face facts and accept that the stiff competition for jobs in finance is going to come from the good people, and they tend to come from selective schools and decent private schools (like SGS as mentioned).

Also, it does help with your academic credentials.

HSC
§eraphim said:
I'm not talking about high school boy's club only hiring their own kind. You got to face facts and accept that the stiff competition for jobs in finance is going to come from the good people, and they tend to come from selective schools and decent private schools (like SGS as mentioned).

Also, it does help with your academic credentials.
It also means jack shit in university. Youre probably one of those people who prides themselves on going to a selective school, thinking its going to get you "street cred" in uni. Rid yourself of elitism you pompous prick, uni isnt about how big your (high school) academic dick is, cos no one gives a shit. Sure, theres lots of selective/private school people at uni, but it doesnt make a difference upon graduating....its what the individual puts in NOT what PREVIOUS institution that individual went to....if that person made it into the degree they have every right to be there.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
Ride you sound like that moron I was arguing with who jumps onto every high school related statement as if it's an insult without properly reading what has been said.

Seraphim had not said that selective high school = you're hired. Let me break down what he said for you.

- banks hire 'good' people

- those 'good' people tend to come from certain schools

Despite what your inferiority complex may lead you to think, there was no assertion that quality candidates only come from selective schools. But rather, that such candidates tend to come from those schools. There was nothing to suggest that you can't be a high quality candidate if you come from a public school.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)