Which uni is best for psychology? (1 Viewer)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd like to get into Psychology at UNSW but the cutoff is at 98, which may not be realistic for me
USYD's cutoff is 96 which is a little more realistic, but I've heard mixed reviews about USYD
Also if shit hits the fan and I don't make it into either, are there any other unis that are good for psych?

Robbie M

HSC
Yeah like to be honest i don't think the uni you go to matters a whole lot, i would base it off over personal preference, ease of transportation etc. And everyone is biased against their own uni its not even funny, i would come to your own conclusion.

izzy_m

HSC
I agree with si2136. If you miss the cut-off for the Bachelor of Psychology you can always enrol in a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or Science and major in psychology and complete honours (I have been told this is a totally valid option by people who work in the psych department at UNSW). That way you can pick the university you feel is best for you as the cut-offs for these courses are generally lower (95 for advanced science or 85 for science at UNSW). If the Psychology degree is what you really want to do it is possible to internally transfer into it after your first year provided your uni marks are good enough. Hope this helps :)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with si2136. If you miss the cut-off for the Bachelor of Psychology you can always enrol in a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or Science and major in psychology and complete honours (I have been told this is a totally valid option by people who work in the psych department at UNSW). That way you can pick the university you feel is best for you as the cut-offs for these courses are generally lower (95 for advanced science or 85 for science at UNSW). If the Psychology degree is what you really want to do it is possible to internally transfer into it after your first year provided your uni marks are good enough. Hope this helps :)
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that I could do a science degree with a major and complete honours. That takes off a lot of the stress haha

Frostguard

HSC
yay another psych student, basically my backup plan is that if I don't get 98 or 99 for Psychology (Hons) at UNSW, which I probably won't, I was going to enrol in Psychological Science which only needs an ATAR of 88!!! :thrust: then I would just try my best to get the credits required or the high distinctions or basically anything required and have an internal transfer into Psychology (Hons) :D maybe you could do this too?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
yay another psych student, basically my backup plan is that if I don't get 98 or 99 for Psychology (Hons) at UNSW, which I probably won't, I was going to enrol in Psychological Science which only needs an ATAR of 88!!! :thrust: then I would just try my best to get the credits required or the high distinctions or basically anything required and have an internal transfer into Psychology (Hons) :D maybe you could do this too?
Haha that sounds like a plan. I kinda prefer getting into UNSW anyways, even though its the least convenient for me travel-wise lmao

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
You can internal transfer. Sure.

But I do have to say, Psychology degrees are useless unless you've done Honours. That's how oversaturated the market is. If you're passionate about it, I'd say go all for it. But make sure it's a long term 4 year investment, and probably more if you want to do clinical/research. USYD/UNSW are fine.
Damn thats a shame to hear
I'd really like to do the honours year and even a masters if time and money will allow.
Also I've been tossing up between research or therapy, but I guess I've still got time to decide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)