Which uni is better.... (1 Viewer)

versacegal

pink_razr
HSC
Hey guys, im currently at UNSW doing a B/Ed . B/Arts , next year though if my marks allow i would love to follow my first passion of primary teaching- id just like some unbiased information on which uni is better. I really like UTS because it offers prac every semester but everyones telling me that Sydney and ACU are the better options for Primary Teaching, so anyways thnks in advance .peace.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I'm biased, but....
NEWCASTLE!

and I have no supporting reasons for that :D

Ok, its late.. time for bed... nite nite!

and good luck with your choice!! not that I have been any help... sorry

SJ

versacegal

pink_razr
HSC
secret said:
Why is Sydney better? cause it's made out of sandbrick and looks like a castle?
LOL dats true i spose

Thnks for your food for thought without wings you have given me lots to think about - the other question i have is to gain entry into uts next im looking at at a uai of 75 (dfee) my uai last year was 70.5 does anyone know what ill have to be achieving to at least be considerd at uts? (example- pass, credit etc)

choc-chip

HSC
UNSW I'd say..Excellent resources, the program is thoughtfully structured, sophisticated lecturers...

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
The reputation of a uni shouldnt be the no. 1 factor in choosing between unis like WW has said - it is no more important than any other criteria when selecting a uni to attend.

if you want to stay in Sydney - USyd, UTS (Ku Ring Gai), UWS, ACU and Notre Dame offer CSP for primary ed. Consider UoW as well - it is a great uni and only an hour away from Sydney by train.

Each uni has its own strengths and weaknesses and it also depends on what you want to study.

UTS allows you to be very flexible in terms of units of study choices but i dont think there is an allowance for any electives outside of education units of study. There are also heaps of opportunity fro pracs.

USyd is more traditional and it allows you to study 24 credit points of an elective from Arts, Business or Science. And there is a rigid study structure of compulsory first year general education subjects, and specific units in science (boring), creative arts and an eight day prac unit fro literacy.

UWS requires you to complete a 3 year B Arts but when you graduate you get automactic entry into the one year primary ed program so long as you have a pass average (i think).

Celiast

HSC
UWS requires you to complete a 3 year B Arts but when you graduate you get automactic entry into the one year primary ed program so long as you have a pass average (i think).[/QUOTE]

How does the system of practicals work in UWS?
All i know is that primary teaching is taught at an accelerated mode ( 1 year)

Pwincez Cherry

HSC
Hi,
Well im currently studing a Bachelor of Education (primary) at The University of Notre Dame Sydeny, which is smack bang in between UTS and USYD, and being a lil biased, i think i made the best decision! All of my other friends are at ACU, but by Notre Dame being a new university, opening at the beginning of 2006, and with a small year group of around 100 (exaggerating slighty), i find that i have learnt a hell of alot more than graduating at the end of my 4 years in a class of 1000 or so. Notre Dame focuses on huge amounts of prac, with 10 weeks every year, between semester 1 and 2.
Not many people know about Notre Dame, Sydney, so i think all NDers are trying to get our name out there, coz really, it is a great university!
Take the time to look at Notre Dame and dont dismiss it coz of its absent reputation.
Take my word for it, you will receive a most excellent education!

versacegal

pink_razr
HSC
Hey guys thnks for all ur advice!! keep it coming to !
Pwincez Cherry- Nd looks liek an excllent uni i also liKE it coz its small , so im still thinking bout it, at this stage im looking at uts - simple because i love the idea of prac evry sem and also because of the new one yr post grad courses just hoping i get in!! As for usyd its an excellent uni (im a x-institutional student there) but unfortunetly i dnt think ill hve the marks :(

Speaking of marks u guys seem like a smart bunch so ill pose this question , last year i got 71 UAI , what marks do u think ill be needing to get into the course (UAI 75??) its hard to say i know just an estimate....

Thnks for ur advice , =)

volition

arr.
HSC
University of Notre Dame had about 560 applicants last year, and it ended up taking about 450 of them. This year it's already taken over 1000 applications though, so I don't really know what your chances are. I even an ad for them on the radio today.

I know that for at least the first year in Sydney they stressed the interview process over your UAI. With more applications this time around, they'll be able to reject many more candidates. My friend goes there and he's very happy with it.

VollDoggy

HSC
Does anyone know of any unis in Sydney that just to a b education (maths), so i dont have to do a freakin science degree

As far as unis go for maths teaching is Sydney the best? it will be my no 1 preference, but does anyone else in sydney offer a b education (maths), UNSW i think also offers it with science but science is gay, i just want to be a maths teacher, uai is not a problem

vg_woz_here

HSC
im interested in becoming a Food Tech Teacher...but i dunno what courses there are...except for one at ACU...

are there any others????

HSC
Pwincez Cherry said:
Not many people know about Notre Dame, Sydney, so i think all NDers are trying to get our name out there, coz really, it is a great university!
Take the time to look at Notre Dame and dont dismiss it coz of its absent reputation.
I don't know if this helps, but Notre Dame Perth, which is much more established, has a fantastic reputation for Primary Education

SweetSeasons

HSC
vg_woz_here said:
im interested in becoming a Food Tech Teacher...but i dunno what courses there are...except for one at ACU...

are there any others????

Newcastle Uni has one and also CSU has a TAS teaching course...

I must say how ever that ACU is the best uni, I love it. I was worried about it being a catholic uni and getting preached to all the time but it's totally not like that at all. And all the lecturers are great and have heaps of experiance... although the education lecturers are all a bit ding batty...

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I think that goes for education lecturers in general...

I had one in first year who spent at least 6 weeks talking about monkeys...

We almost forgot that we were going to be teaching children in the end..

foxydena

HSC
According to the new rankings for Faculty of Education by the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research rankings as apart of University of Melbourne, University of Western Sydney's School of Education is ranked 2nd in NSW and 9th in
Australian Universities.

http://apps.uws.edu.au/media/news/index.phtml?act=view&story_id=1799

http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/publications/reports/dr_aus_uni/Main Paper.pdf
pp18. Rating Major Disciplines in Australian Universities: Perceptions and Reality

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)