Which uni is the best for Design, Digital Media, Visual Communication & Architecture? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Alright, I've narrowed down the courses that I want to do to either Design (as in graphic design), Digital Media, Visual Communication, Architecture, Interior Architecture or Media and Communications. :D

Which universities would be the best for each respective course? I've heard UNSW is probably the best for design (cos of CoFA) but I'm not 100% sure.

Also are there many career oppotunities when I finish my design course? Cos I'm really scared that when I finish my course I'll find myself on the dole with my useless diploma nailed to the wall of my parent's house.

Thanx in advance....

Trinitae

Originally posted by mercurydrinker

Cos I'm really scared that when I finish my course I'll find myself on the dole with my useless diploma nailed to the wall of my parent's house.

heya,

:( i think i understand your apprehension about go into uni - for what? 4/5 years?! - and finally coming out with a degree that will ultimately be 'irrelevant' and 'a waste of a good chunk of ur life cos it can't really get u anywhere'! ahh! do i know! my parents are constantly objecting to what i want to do because they're convinced that teaching will NOT get me anywhere in life. i'm also worried abt the future and whether the degree i choose next year will help me later in life, etc.,etc. frankly when it comes down to it, if u really love what u do, and u have the passion and commitment and talent for it, u can do whatever u want, so don't let uncertainty hold u back.

well regarding u'r question, i've heard UTS is particularly good at visual design, digital media, etc. degrees - a friend of my is determined to go 2 UTS n she's doin something in that field too. i'm not very sure about the exact position of the other Uni.s on the status ladder, but general opinion that i'm exposed to says UTS is prob'ly the 'best' in that field.

hope i've helped - or reassured at least.
good luck, and make whatever u do FUN!!
trinitae:D

HSC
Re: Re: Which uni is the best for Design, Digital Media, Visual Communication & Architecture?

Originally posted by Trinitae

heya,

:( i think i understand your apprehension about go into uni - for what? 4/5 years?! - and finally coming out with a degree that will ultimately be 'irrelevant' and 'a waste of a good chunk of ur life cos it can't really get u anywhere'! ahh! do i know! my parents are constantly objecting to what i want to do because they're convinced that teaching will NOT get me anywhere in life. i'm also worried abt the future and whether the degree i choose next year will help me later in life, etc.,etc. frankly when it comes down to it, if u really love what u do, and u have the passion and commitment and talent for it, u can do whatever u want, so don't let uncertainty hold u back.

well regarding u'r question, i've heard UTS is particularly good at visual design, digital media, etc. degrees - a friend of my is determined to go 2 UTS n she's doin something in that field too. i'm not very sure about the exact position of the other Uni.s on the status ladder, but general opinion that i'm exposed to says UTS is prob'ly the 'best' in that field.

hope i've helped - or reassured at least.
good luck, and make whatever u do FUN!!
trinitae:D
Thanx for the encouragment :)

UTS eh? Hmm.... yeah I was thinking on the lines of either that or UNSW (or even Sydney).

I've got two friends getting into teaching. And there's nothing wrong with that..... :)

Trinitae

glad to be of help

hey:p,
yah, u kno u'r pretty well ahead of a LOTof ppl i kno who still have NO IDEa what they want to do! u've got ur interests set and u seem determined to go for them so that's *good*.
u said a couple of your friends are goin to do education?? can u get back to me on that? or get them to send me a few words if they wanna talk to some1 else who wants to do it. i'd really like to get in touch w/ ppl who are interested in it, cos as yet not many ppl have replied to my thread abt education..:confused: .
btw, have u done u'r uac pref's yet? mine are finished! *thankfully*!
cya later,
trinitae:)

HSC
Re: glad to be of help

Originally posted by Trinitae
hey:p,
yah, u kno u'r pretty well ahead of a LOTof ppl i kno who still have NO IDEa what they want to do! u've got ur interests set and u seem determined to go for them so that's *good*.
u said a couple of your friends are goin to do education?? can u get back to me on that? or get them to send me a few words if they wanna talk to some1 else who wants to do it. i'd really like to get in touch w/ ppl who are interested in it, cos as yet not many ppl have replied to my thread abt education..:confused: .
btw, have u done u'r uac pref's yet? mine are finished! *thankfully*!
cya later,
trinitae:)
The people I know that are doing education unfortunately don't use the internet much, so they don't have emails, ICQ or MSN etc...So I don't think I can get you in touch with them...

I haven't submitted the preferences *yet*, but I should have them done by the end of the weekend (or so I say).

Yeah I'm sure there plenty of people that are even more unsure than I am.... So I'm glad I do know what I want to do....

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey freaky, dude! i put down almost exactly the same things on my uac thingy last night...

i also put arch, visual comm, design and media and communications (not in that order). but insteada interior arch. i had art theory, and writing.

but like,, as for best uni's, it's hard to say i reckon? i think i know most about arch., cos it's the only thing i've stayed wanting to do for like a long time. but i'll prolly be going to uts, cos like u can do it part time there, in just as many years (5 years i think it was ? or 6? i dunno, the uts course for arch. has changed heaps so it's all different now), and well i wanna move out asap so i need to make some money at uni, so that's why uts arch. is best for me.

but like, i don't really know much about sydney and unsw for architecture, though i've head sydney is shit cos they are pretty much theory-based, but i really have nfi sorry!

design, defiinitely cofa. (shit i just realised, i didn't put that down, i need to go change my uac preferences later =( ]
but yeh, design at cofa is definteily really good, they have the best resources, and career-wise, cofa is very prestigious;.

vis. comm., i really don't know about that either sorry! media and comm. at suydney is sposed to be good, but if u wanna be specific (like, i put down macq. media nd comm, but that's REALLY general,), like a specific area in media and comm (like me, i put writing and contemporary cultures at uts, as my first choice), then uts is sposed to be really good for that (they also have journo, social inquiry, ...err...public comm., a few others can't rem.)

and well, yeh, anyone who does these 'arty' courses like us will i guess have some trouble at some stage in our lives finding jobs, but like, if you're really motivated enough with your profession, you'll work hard at finding something u love doing.

and worse comes to worse, be a taxi driver! ; ) haha just kidding, i hope it doesn't come to that for me! =( but i know that if i don't do something related to art or writing, i'll hate my life and be bored and will hate everything. so yeah.

hope that helped!
-jian
=)

HSC
Originally posted by johnson
hey freaky, dude! i put down almost exactly the same things on my uac thingy last night...

i also put arch, visual comm, design and media and communications (not in that order). but insteada interior arch. i had art theory, and writing.

but like,, as for best uni's, it's hard to say i reckon? i think i know most about arch., cos it's the only thing i've stayed wanting to do for like a long time. but i'll prolly be going to uts, cos like u can do it part time there, in just as many years (5 years i think it was ? or 6? i dunno, the uts course for arch. has changed heaps so it's all different now), and well i wanna move out asap so i need to make some money at uni, so that's why uts arch. is best for me.

but like, i don't really know much about sydney and unsw for architecture, though i've head sydney is shit cos they are pretty much theory-based, but i really have nfi sorry!

design, defiinitely cofa. (shit i just realised, i didn't put that down, i need to go change my uac preferences later =( ]
but yeh, design at cofa is definteily really good, they have the best resources, and career-wise, cofa is very prestigious;.

vis. comm., i really don't know about that either sorry! media and comm. at suydney is sposed to be good, but if u wanna be specific (like, i put down macq. media nd comm, but that's REALLY general,), like a specific area in media and comm (like me, i put writing and contemporary cultures at uts, as my first choice), then uts is sposed to be really good for that (they also have journo, social inquiry, ...err...public comm., a few others can't rem.)

and well, yeh, anyone who does these 'arty' courses like us will i guess have some trouble at some stage in our lives finding jobs, but like, if you're really motivated enough with your profession, you'll work hard at finding something u love doing.

and worse comes to worse, be a taxi driver! ; ) haha just kidding, i hope it doesn't come to that for me! =( but i know that if i don't do something related to art or writing, i'll hate my life and be bored and will hate everything. so yeah.

hope that helped!
-jian
=)
Yeah thanx for that....

I just put in my preferences, here they are:

1. B Digital Media UNSW- COFA
2. B Design UNSW- COFA
3. B Design (Visual Communication) UTS
4. B Design Computing Sydney
5. B Architecure UNSW
6. B Arts (Media and Communications) UNSW
7. B Interior Architecture UNSW
8. B Design (Architecture/ Urban Planning/ Digital Media) Sydney
9. B Arts (Media and Communications) Sydney

The top three are probably definite, but the others I'm not sure of.
But I can still change it later perhaps...

jennals

UTS and UNSW are good.

Pretty much anything listed under AGDA will give you a good career opportunity since they list a number of tertiary institutions and reccommend students that have graduated from the courses to employees.

So that also includes visual comm at UWS (yeah - i know...the uni itself doesn't exactly speak to me, but it's got the course...) and colleges such as Billy Blue Graphic Shool of Arts (BIG plug, but very expensive :0. or even TAFE for those who don't get into uni (Enmore design centre in particular).

stressed02

mercurydrinker..

hey Mercurydrinker, i put down almost the same courses as you did (in some diff order) - but my no.1 was design at COFA, and had fashion design in there instead of Design (computing) at USYD.

good luck!

HSC
Re: mercurydrinker..

Originally posted by stressed02
hey Mercurydrinker, i put down almost the same courses as you did (in some diff order) - but my no.1 was design at COFA, and had fashion design in there instead of Design (computing) at USYD.

good luck!
Thanx dude...

And good luck to you as well..

My no. 1 choice was Digital Media with Design second... we might even end up in the same course :)

juni

juni
HSC
Judging using the UAI cut-off, UTS is the most popular choice for majority considering they have the highest UAI cut-offs for all of the Bachelor of Design courses which can be combined with International Studies. :)

Last edited:

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
Re: Which uni is the best for Design, Digital Media, Visual Communication & Architect

juni said:
Judging using the UAI cut-off, UTS is the most popular choice for majority considering they have the highest UAI cut-offs for all of the Bachelor of Design courses which can be combined with International Studies. :)
judging the quality of the courses by their UAI cutoffs

excellent

posting this information for a student who finished their degree already

excellentness * 2

juni

juni
HSC
Re: Which uni is the best for Design, Digital Media, Visual Communication & Architect

DeathB4Life said:
judging the quality of the courses by their UAI cutoffs

excellent

posting this information for a student who finished their degree already

excellentness * 2
lol well i didn't realise it was an old thread sorry.

but!! why don't you think judging from a uai cut off isn't a good indication of a courses popularity? Uai cut-offs are all about demand and popularity at the end isn't it? Why would a certain course at certain uni be popular if it wasn't good or if it doesn't have industry reputation to start with? :)

Last edited:

msh

HSC
im at UWS at the moment doing vis comm and hoping for a transfer into UTS vis comm for they have an excellent reputation etc :(
its fuckin hard though... they pick like 10 ppl out of 500 or so applicants :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: :burn: which says alot for where is the place for design :burn: (yeh i got rejected but im gonna try again like many ppl did. some guy apparently tried out for it 5 times :eek: and got in on the 5th attempt :eek: hopefully i wont be in this boat lol

i know someone who did UNSW design and she hated it so she applied to transfer to UTS but she got rejected and she had a uai of 86. wtf

UTS does have the industry reputation and recognition by far.
So many uts design grads/students win lots of design awards. ie: the best design grad of the year went to a uts interior design student by Design Institute of Australia (DIA), the international Dyson awards to name a few. i swear when you read smh and whenever there is an article about some design award winner it's usually some UTS student.
the uts arts & humanities faculty ranked 29th in the world as well accordng to the times.. :eek:

That's probably why it's so popular and selective for a creative arts degree :(

in fact, uts always has the most amount of first preferences for creative arts degrees in the state.

so..i also say uts for design by far. lol i really wanna get in.

PS: i was refering to non current school leavers method of getting in. i think getting the required uai is probably slightly* (note slightly..i know getting a uai between 90~99 is not easy) easier than going in through non curent school leaver method :( its too competitive

Last edited:

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
When I picked Barch @ UTS as first choice <and got in>, i was under the impression that it was the best as well, but now there are a few tafe people telling me that unsw is better. There are SO many people over 25/married in my architecture course, and first year too.. So far out of like 50 people i know, 20 are ex-tafe/work, 28 are internationals who just pay, and only 2 are domestics my age... Not much life for young adults it seems.

Yeah and its crazy workload

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)