Which Uni's in sydney would you consider part of the elite? (1 Viewer)

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
for certain courses it does have bearing what uni you went to...for other courses it doesnt matter
yes indeed such as accounting.. u can do that anywhere, even tafe and still get employed, however the only thing different is the wage.

MoNNiE

HSC
my sister did marketing at uws.. back then.. i would have to agree that the marking at uws was much harder compared to the marking criterias at unsw or usyd...

anyway ways i think the snobboroos of aus is usyd..
unsw -- they have too many international students --
anu is highly recongnised across the world i would have to agree same with umelb.. you can see there names being mentioned in journals etc.
anyways maq.. needs a big technology boost
uts -- well i think it's alrite now..but very good in technology.. and communications -- afterall it is a technology university.. right??

Matthew_152

When someone suggested that getting a credit at UWS is better than a pass at Sydney....were they suggesting that it is harder to gain a credit or distinction at Sydney...? ...im worried now cause im going to Sydney....

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
ANU is generally recognised in its research capacity.
In a recent study, ANU was the only Australian university in the world's top 50, and the study was based on research and other such stuff.

^___^
HSC
why do ppl get so 'tense' bout the "reputation" of each uni

like Majesty said, its a single paper afterall..

u go out and apply for a job, the employer will not go uptight and start whinging if u come from so and so uni..

as long as ur impressive with oral skill and showed u have a great human-human relationship, a decent CV will most likely land u a job(not high position)

however, in one scenario, my dad works in westpac and every yr he said westpac hires a few UTS B IT ppl..
why is that? its becoz UTS has a good reputation for IT
but does this apply to everywhere? No..

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Asqy, what the fuck is Umelb. No one calls it that. It is Unimelb!

Also who calls Uni of Adelaide, ADLU. They just refer to it as ADELAIDE!
Calm Down melbournian, its called using abbreviations. Free speech, right? He can call it whatever he likes. Not like he insulted your universities or anything.

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
Originally posted by Cyan_phoeniX
Its easier for ANU to be more recognised (by general people that
is)overseas as being an Australian University as it has 'Australia'
in it. University of New England has no chance... Maquarie could
also be mistaken as being in England (Well there is one of them
there too).

Whats ANU got that makes it special overseas? I'm interested
thats all :/
i posted this in some other thread bet eh
ANU's reputation doesnt come from the faculties but rather from the insitute for advanced studies which are kind of parra-faculties yet no under grad and even most post grads will never have anything to do with these. they are research instutes for the top minds in the country and from around the world only, hence where there prestige come from.

^___^
HSC
no..

i stated the uts scenario because westpac hires like what..2ppl out of god damn how many a yr..

and they dun just look at what uni u go to...they also look at ur marks..

so when they hire the uts, they ain't ppl that just managed to scrap their way through, but rather the elite...

i just dun see the pt when u have a Harvard degree but when u turn up for interview u look like a bum...

the uni prestigue means nothing, but rather what degree u have, and how u impressed the interviewer..

and stated that scenario for what reason? not to fucken contractied myself, but to show that this world anything can happen..

edit: if u read it, i said uts is has a good reputation in its IT field and thats true...cos it engages its student to the practical world

but in terms of prestigue for the uni as a whole..:rolleyes:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ...
no..

i stated the uts scenario because westpac hires like what..2ppl out of god damn how many a yr...
yeah, but UTS prolly has connections to 100 more companies like that...:p

hence industry links and prestigue does matter. :p

^___^
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out

ahaha..

and yea, westpac hires dorks that dunno what to do only cos UTS is connected to them..

ahaha..go son, ur almost there

Aaron1911

Originally posted by freaking_out

UTS also has that 1 year work experience or something. That really helps them to get a job unlike the other elite unis. When my mum was working for Prudential (an insurance company b4 it merged) most of the new programmers hired were the work experience people from UTS. Guess that doesn't really matter now since Australia's IT industry has literally gone to the dogs.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Aaron1911
UTS also has that 1 year work experience or something. That really helps them to get a job unlike the other elite unis. When my mum was working for Prudential (an insurance company b4 it merged) most of the new programmers hired were the work experience people from UTS. Guess that doesn't really matter now since Australia's IT industry has literally gone to the dogs.
well, the 1 year work experience is something that u gotta find yourself- so yeah, at the moment (what i heard from fatmuscle) is that many ppl. are finding it hard even to get this work experience- let alone a job! :D

MoNNiE

HSC
Originally posted by natstar
Thats interesting to know cuz im doing Marketing at UWS
cools cool..
though my sister was abit of a pain in the butt... she kept partying during uni..we still have a whole bunch of her crap... but it's so disorganised.. i dunno how she survived

MoNNiE

HSC
freaky out...apparently they do help you in finding a job... aka "internship'.. i've sorta already got mine sorted.. even though i have ages to go..but lets see what happens in the future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)