Which university is best for law?: The definitive answer (1 Viewer)

HSC
Wow I have never seen anyone take a study so harshly.
If you'd been on this forum for the past 3 years you'd be vomiting when you read shit like this too.

Yes you do go to the worst rated university in terms of getting a job and in general out of the 7 or so that I extracted but I'm sure you will have a bright future regardless :)
According to that very guide two years ago we were the best in terms of employment. I take it with a grain of salt.

Also UWS is a fine university and I enjoy it here. Perhaps don't attack mine because of the (unfounded) insecurities that you have about yours. Thanks.
You're right, it is a fine university. I think it could move to a PLT model like UNCLE and UWoW have to better compete with the other sydney unis but apart from that it looks great.

I don't have insecurities about mine, here I can live with my parents in a master bedroom with an ensuite and spare room for my clothes, so as far as I'm concerned it shits on any uni.

What I feel uncomfortable about it the general 'X uni is better than Y cause my dad's uncle who knew this judge said so' bs which gets kicked around by noobs on here, and the sharks who tell year 12 kids that if they dont work top tier their legal career will be inferior.

cookieeater

HSC
Lawbaroness, did you really compile that table by yourself , it looks awfully like the one from the unsw law advertisment...... in fact it looks identical apart from the " UOW N/A n/a" parts. ????? please explain?

Last edited:

jenecis

HSC
what i feel uncomfortable about it the general 'x uni is better than y cause my dad's uncle who knew this judge said so' bs which gets kicked around by noobs on here, and the sharks who tell year 12 kids that if they dont work top tier their legal career will be inferior.
+1

TheLawBaroness

HSC
Lawbaroness, did you really compile that table by yourself , it looks awfully like the one from the unsw law advertisment...... in fact it looks identical apart from the " UOW N/A n/a" parts. ????? please explain?
Yep all mine, well I used the stats from the guide but when I copied the table into this message box it totally unformatted it so I had to print screen and upload it to tinypic.com so it doesn't look as good as it should.

Where can I find this unsw ad?

cannibal.horse said:
what i feel uncomfortable about it the general 'x uni is better than y cause my dad's uncle who knew this judge said so' bs which gets kicked around by noobs on here, and the sharks who tell year 12 kids that if they dont work top tier their legal career will be inferior.
I agree 100% but that's got nothing to do with what the study or this thread is about.

cookieeater

HSC
Look the whole "lesser" "lesser" average thing is the same. I am going to go as far as to say you might have copied it , if not I apologise but for me its just too coincidental. I have the brochure infront of me and it looks the same, and it is also on their website somewhere. Quite frankly I think your whole post is not unbiased and an advertisment ploy to play on those students who are undecided on their law schools.

TheLawBaroness

HSC
Look the whole "lesser" "lesser" average thing is the same. I am going to go as far as to say you might have copied it , if not I apologise but for me its just too coincidental. I have the brochure infront of me and it looks the same, and it is also on their website somewhere. Quite frankly I think your whole post is not unbiased and an advertisment ploy to play on those students who are undecided on their law schools.
You, sir, are an idiot. The good uni guide has things listed as either average, better or worse, I picked a bunch of unis and compared the fields from the report. Not surprising if UNSW did the same but I would hope they didn't use a ms word table as I did.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
You, sir, are an idiot. The good uni guide has things listed as either average, better or worse, I picked a bunch of unis and compared the fields from the report. Not surprising if UNSW did the same but I would hope they didn't use a ms word table as I did.
...because the Good Universities Guide is a completely accurate viewpoint of quality of programs. :rolleyes:

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, I didn't really have much choice with the Melbourne Model (And I wasn't going to do JD) so Monash BA/LLB was the go for me :)

cr1cket

HSC
My sister does law. She was doing it at UWS but she did not like it very much.
I think she is transferring but I do not know where to.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
I thought I would add some oil to our little UWS fire:
After giving a talk on administrative law at American University Washington College of Law on April 24, [US Supreme Court] Justice Scalia took a few questions. One was from a student who wanted to know what she had to do to become "outrageously successful" without "connections and elite degrees."

Her law school, according to U.S. News & World Report, is ranked 45th in the country.

Justice Scalia gave a general answer. "Just work hard and be very good," he said.

But then he turned to a discussion of the student's chances of obtaining the ultimate credential in American law, a clerkship with a Supreme Court justice. Not good, he said.

"By and large," he said, "I’m going to be picking from the law schools that basically are the hardest to get into. They admit the best and the brightest, and they may not teach very well, but you can't make a sow's ear out of a silk purse. If they come in the best and the brightest, they’re probably going to leave the best and the brightest, OK?"
- Sidebar, New York Times, 11 May 2009.

Yes yes, you UWS fans will remind me that Kirby J took a UWS graduate as one of his Associates.

I wonder whether our High Court (or any other Australian court, for that matter) shares Scalia's views.

Lara1986

HSC
I thought I would add some oil to our little UWS fire:- Sidebar, New York Times, 11 May 2009.

Yes yes, you UWS fans will remind me that Kirby J took a UWS graduate as one of his Associates.

I wonder whether our High Court (or any other Australian court, for that matter) shares Scalia's views.
Whilst those comments are valid, I, and other UWS students, have had interviews for tipstaff/associate positions in the past and whilst I was far from the most qualified or 'intelligent' student interviewed so was not surprised that i did not get the position, the fact that I am a UWS student and reached an interview is perhaps indicative of the views of some Australian courts.

Irrespective of the outcome, i took this to mean that they are at least interested in UWS students and willing to give them the opportunity to attain such positions. They wouldn't put you through to an interview if they weren't interested in UWS students :) The Supreme Court judge that I had the interview with was actually quite positive about the fact that I went to UWS upon asking my reasons for choosing the uni and my ideal career path.

Last edited:
HSC

Doubtful. They'd more likely choose candidates based on the university they went to and its ranking according to the Good Universities Guide.

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I've heard UNSW has a great law faculty. Plus their law building is so bloody funky.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
styling4sure said:
My brothers friend went to the university of newcastle. Shit u.a.i completely shit, she went to uni did decent and her starting graduate salary was $80,000 at Westpac. shes a lawyer for westpac... she did business/law, but her sister did arts/law and is working at maliesons a law firm in sydney. never heard of it but she started off at $75,000 with just credits and few distinctions.
i'm a bit skeptical though. i'm not surprised malles pays $5K more than market rate (around $65-70K package this year), but westpac paying a full $10K more than market rate? hmmm... :confused:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I thought I would add some oil to our little UWS fire:- Sidebar, New York Times, 11 May 2009.

I don't think its that comparable, how many universties are there in the states and its a different country with different people and bias'.

Does it count in the support of UWS stakes that me being a 1/4 UWS 3/4 Mac student has worked someone until they were appointed to the Supreme Court and his only comment was that UWS and Mac seemed hard to get to.

Oliver04

HSC
...wilson kwok went to maitland grossmann high school got a u.a.i of 98.5%, and is now working at the commonweath bank as a lawyer. he's carving up. there are so many other great people. universities mean absoulte SHIT ask anyone...
That's cause he was either taught by my mother or my mother's awesomeness rubbed off on him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)