Who are the ANU 1st year students 2004 (1 Viewer)

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
oops.. i was wrong... I know one very cool girl... her name is Anna. and I think she frequents this forum... ;)

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
dont mind matt..

we met on pea day.. he's cool. study his avatar (pic thing) and you'll spot him no probs at o-week :p

peut-etre

Yeah I'm going to ANU this year and I'm from Canberra although I did the HSC. As far as not knowing many people goes I'm certain that changes pretty quickly especially if you live in one of the colleges and it's not as though you're alone in the not knowing anyone boat. So who out of you went to that open day thing the other day? Any thoughts on what you saw?

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Hey peut-etre can I ask a dumb question... in Canberra, where are the "happening" places? It seemed so dead when I went there... Is it the type of place you need to know where things are? I heard there is heaps going on, but I couldn't find much.

The campus is spread out, but it's a nice setting. What course are you doing peut-etre?

Last edited:

2003HSC

Dont forget me! I'm moving down from Sydney. Holy shit I just checked that pdf download and it says we have to accept by this friday and my enrolment pack hasnt even arrived yet.

blah says she, I thought Canberra was really dead as well because there was barely anyone in the 'city centre'. Most of where all the shops and cafes are actually in civic, which I think is in or near to the area/suburb braddon.

Ribbon

I went last week for a campus tour (because I couldn't make the open or pea day) and took a canberra brouchure from the hotel. Its mostly touristy stuff but it does have a list of the shopping malls, which came in handy... I've been told as far as pubs and things go, its not like here where there is a pub on every second corner, you have to go into civic to the nightclubs and stuff. My guide for the tour told me no one really goes to the uni bar at night because its only 10mins or so to walk from there to where the real stuff is happening...

sorry I forgot about you 2003! Don't worry about not having the enrollment pack. All you need to accept is the tearaway section of your UAC acceptance letter, which you sign and date, then, if your like me and live in a crappy town with slow, crappy postage, you express post it today :) You can get a pdf of the enrollment guide from the anu website, same with the o-week info.

Last edited:

2003HSC

ah, I'm going to send out my slip today.

Ribbon, do you have the link to arranging your timetable? I cant find it. And just so I'm completely clear (because I suck at understanding uni subjects) since were both doing the same degree, our first year course will be exactly the same right. ie:

First semester

LAWS1201 Foundations of Australian Law (6u)
LAWS1203 Torts (6u)
BUSN1001 Business Reporting and Analysis
STAT1008 Quantitative Research Methods

Second semester

LAWS1202 Lawyers, Justice and Ethics (6u)
LAWS1204 Contracts (6u)
BComm elective (6u)
BComm elective (6u)

but then, why does it say we choose commerce electives in the 2nd semester? I thought everything was core subjects in the first year? This stuff is freaking me out.

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
im off to send my slip off today! damn enrolment pack better come soon!!

2003hsc - yeah the "city centre" was pretty dead. though the irish pub looked alright.

oh a question - which addy do i send it to? the one i got from the UAC how to accept is different from the one in the pdf enrolment thing i downloaded :confused:

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
Anyone know why certain subjects are just for semester 2 or just for semester 1?

2003HSC

bolkonski, I think its because some courses are like intro subjects that you have to do first in order to do a different one later? I dont know, I'm really confused.

Ribbon

yup as 2003 said, its the same as subjects for first and second year ect. you have to do one before you do the other. or it might be that you have to do the core subjects in semester 1 before you can understand the concepts of the subjects in semester two.

and everything for law is core subjects for the first two years, but in commerce (as you already know) you get to choose electives in second semester. One of these has to be for your major so you have to know what you want to do by 2nd sememster.

blah... I didn't know there was an address that UAC gave you to send it to? unless you mean the return address on the letter (UAC office or whatever). You don't send it to UAC, you send it to ANU, so its the address on the enrollment info.

oh and for timetables: http://timetable.anu.edu.au/

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
i checked my offer online and it gave a different addy for anu tis all. not to worry. all sorted! cheers :)

Ribbon

oh ok then I have no idea? They like to confuse the poor first years I think....

2003HSC

i just chekced my offer online again and followed the uac link to the anu site where it has instructions on how to accept and the address is

Admissions Office
Pauline Griffin Building (11)
Australian National University
CANBERRA ACT 0200

but the pdf file said

student and academic services
the australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200

Seriously, I think I'm going to kill someone by the end of the day

Ribbon

Student and academic services is in pauline griffin building as well, so I'm sure it will get to the right place, whichever way you send it.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
another idiotic question;

i know there are no tutorials for the first week, but after that.. you know when lectures are but how do you find out when tutorials are... probably a useless question which will be answered within 2 seconds of being there...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)