who did you think the bnw quote was by? (1 Viewer)

Bobbles22

Banned
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Wait, what? I thought it was Leon from BR ? :confused:
Leon bsaically only said three words before deckards gun raped him in the head. I was going to use to quote anyone as john is a central character as he represents huxleys values etc

Bobbles22

Banned
HSC
cccclaire said:
Two questions though,

did we have to actually begin our essays with the quote?

How much would we have had to refer to the quote throughout our essays?
Ive been told that just starting with the quote is bad technique

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
uhhh.. it was pretty obvious wasn't it??
i put the quote in my essay with "- John Savage from Brave New World" after it.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
It was actually one of the quotes I used =O
So I knew straight away who said it.

Alraith

HSC
cccclaire said:
You're an idiot.

There really wasn't that much to the quote anyway.
Your a complete spastic, and I hope your mark reflects that. I mean, seriously, There wasn't much to the quote? Well it only explores one of the main critisisms Huxley was making, but yeh ok keep thinking that.

Oh and let me guess, if you did the tempest you would think that Prospero's final plea had nothing at ALL to do with the play.

P.s. You were right about not having to refer to it every line, but it still should be explored in the essay.

Hatta

HSC
Alraith said:
Your a complete spastic, and I hope your mark reflects that. I mean, seriously, There wasn't much to the quote? Well it only explores one of the main critisisms Huxley was making, but yeh ok keep thinking that.

Oh and let me guess, if you did the tempest you would think that Prospero's final plea had nothing at ALL to do with the play.

P.s. You were right about not having to refer to it every line, but it still should be explored in the essay.
Actually, I agree with her -- there are much more important quotes in that section.
Also, Prospero's epilogue has more to do with Shakespeare saying goodbye to the stage/his career.

sillymuppet

HSC
gloworm14 said:
uhhh.. it was pretty obvious wasn't it??
i put the quote in my essay with "- John Savage from Brave New World" after it.
Well thats fantastic to know.

While you were wasting time writing that useless piece of information, the rest of us were actually writing stuff which will allow us to achieve a higher mark than you. Thank you.

Furthermore its fantastic to know that while you wasted time reading the book, the rest of us were able to have a life.

Thankyou for making my day so much better.

Alraith

HSC
Hatta said:
Actually, I agree with her -- there are much more important quotes in that section.
Also, Prospero's epilogue has more to do with Shakespeare saying goodbye to the stage/his career.
I would say that John's demand for, "God..." blah blah blah, is just about important as anything else in the text. There are other quotes in this which also explore this, but to say this one is of less importance is just wrong. You could possibly say that one dealing with the Scientific Rationalism of the 'World State' may be easier to deal with in respect to 'the wild' however the quote was a bloody gift from the BoS.

P.s. Prospero's epilogue has much to do with the play... please don't tell me you don't belive so? Of course it is to do with his "goodbye" but the whole idea is that the ending contains a multitude of different messages and ideas ALSO related to the play.

Hatta

HSC
Alraith said:
I would say that John's demand for, "God..." blah blah blah, is just about important as anything else in the text. There are other quotes in this which also explore this, but to say this one is of less importance is just wrong. You could possibly say that one dealing with the Scientific Rationalism of the 'World State' may be easier to deal with in respect to 'the wild' however the quote was a bloody gift from the BoS.
I think that quote is like a lot of the other parts of the novel, pretty much Huxley jumping up and down going "look at me, I can critique society!"

Other things said, especially in that section, convey more powerful messages, and not just for "in the wild".
Johns claiming of the right to be unhappy can be seen as a foreshadowing of his deafeat, and also the World State/new world's failure to acknowledge that unhappiness, solitude etc are important (hence Mond's flippant reply after the next "right to get old" bit of "You're welcome"), even when faced with John.

One part that's more powerful, for instance, is the section where Mustapha and John are talking about King Lear. I don't have either copy of BNW with me, so this is from memory:
"Are you sure? Are you quite sure that the Edmund sitting in that pneumatic chair has not been just as heavily punished as the Edmund who's wounded and bleeding to death?"
Aside from going "I don't fit in here because your ideals and morals are different to what I've learned from a musty old book, waaah", John's saying something useful. These people are punished by their "pleasant vices" and ignorance. They never learn for themselves because everything's provided, they never think for themselves because "there's always soma", they never have any strong emotion because it's been conditioned out because it causes instability. But a lot of characters experience strong emotion and don't know how to deal with it. Wouldn't you call them punished?

I find that a lot better than John's dramatic exit from Mond's interest.

:rolleyes: Haha, I ranted quite a bit, sorry.

P.s. Prospero's epilogue has much to do with the play... please don't tell me you don't belive so? Of course it is to do with his "goodbye" but the whole idea is that the ending contains a multitude of different messages and ideas ALSO related to the play.
Yes, but I was just pointing out that it isn't entirely to do with the play. Most of the stuff Prospero says and does can be read as Shakespeare saying "toodle-oo"... and, well, any other justifiable meaning. Pretty much the only thing English teaches anymore is that you can say that a text says whatever the hell you want if you can loosely rationalise it.
I feel sorry for Mark Baker, at least the others aren't seeing their works get butchered and manipulated by teenagers.

Prosper

HSC
Didn't the exam even say John the Savage? Oh well, if you read the text you should have known who it was. I don't mind people not reading the texts, just pushes my mark higher up.

Alraith

HSC
Hatta said:
I feel sorry for Mark Baker, at least the others aren't seeing their works get butchered and manipulated by teenagers.
To be honest I was just arguing because I felt like it :D and I would keep on but I can't be stuffed as English is over.

In response to Baker's novel, I think the Fiftieth Gate is really contrived anyhoo (not due to the fact we had to butcher it). I admit he can string a sentence or two together but it just seems so superficial/fake in many parts. I think he could have done more by trying less to appease the audience and more to convey the reality. It was extremely well written, though, unlike my posts.

Hatta

HSC
Alraith said:
To be honest I was just arguing because I felt like it :D and I would keep on but I can't be stuffed as English is over.

In response to Baker's novel, I think the Fiftieth Gate is really contrived anyhoo (not due to the fact we had to butcher it). I admit he can string a sentence or two together but it just seems so superficial/fake in many parts. I think he could have done more by trying less to appease the audience and more to convey the reality. It was extremely well written, though, unlike my posts.
*squints* Are you me?
I was arguing for the sake of it, too. I feel a bit let down that I have so much extra knowledge of these texts, and I am never ever ever going to use it. I sincerely doubt that a stranger on the street is going to ask me if I know what Centrifugal Brumble-puppy is, or if I'll be watching Blade Runner and someone'll ask "gee, I wonder why J.F Sebastian's chess set is made of animal figurines?". I think I'll pin my teacher down and just tell him all the accumulated useless textual knowledge.

Also, I got specifically told not to write what I think about Baker and his approach to the Holocaust. Apparently, the markers dislike anything that sounds negative toward the victims...

Alraith

HSC
Haha don't worry, that is one of the reasons I hate the english syllabus so much. I guess HSC english is a bit of a joke, it's play the game... not express your true knowledge of the text as it was quoted in the SMH "There's something rotten with HSC english."

P.s. I'm not you, I'm much better looking:haha: .

cccclaire

HSC
Alraith said:

Well obviously it should be explored in the essay, but your essay shouldn't be about the quote.

And thankyou, I appreciate being called a spastic.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
Prosper said:
Didn't the exam even say John the Savage? Oh well, if you read the text you should have known who it was. I don't mind people not reading the texts, just pushes my mark higher up.
hahahaha
and to the OP... not reading the text is obviously going to get you a good mark.

Grieg

HSC
wtf???!! Im pretty sure that the quote was from Rob Sitch....like seriously are you guys retarded?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)