Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

Mathematician

lol

Enak i still wanna know if ur thomas, or maybe sucith.

Anyway i do both, but i think they really do not complement each other.

I would like more physics to be in maths like it used to be but it doesnt really bother me too much.

The theory is very interesting and is probably the only subject along with math that i like to study.
But this year i really must study all.

4u Mathematical Physics questions really does have a different learning atmosphere than in Physics so physics wont have too much of a significance on u in learning maths to others doing physics. Of course the people doing physics will have a background to the terms used in mathematical physics such as velocity and tension and so on but you will know what they mean by all this when u do it and could in fact if u are interested motivate u to learning deeply into mathematical physics.

nakata

lots of ppl in my scool do the physics-4U combo, im not sure why though. But i can tell you the projectile motion does come useful in physics. I tend not to use the physics formulas for those questions.a:)

Mathematician

actually...

Actually the mathematical way of doing projectiles are the same way as doing the physics way.
The 1st derivative of example s=ut + 1/2at^2
ds/dt=u + at
ie v=u + at

in maths u are actually taking the derivative to go to the next step for things like these , but in physics their already there for u.

Projectile motion in maths provide extra formulas already supplied to u for ease.

In physics u may be asked a question in which u can only use the 4 eq's of motion and then u have to use ur logic to get to the end.
In maths its all done in one simple formula.

What im trying to say , is that both ways are exacly the same.

In maths the only reason they supply extra formulas is because the projectile q's are much harder in math and will save much more time if u have the first step done at least from a simple formula in which its proof is already 10 lines long.

LoL im probably making no sense.

nakata

you make good sense actually. All the physics formulas are derived from the maths ones. I jus couldnt be bothered remembering the physics formulas, so i derive them through starting from the basics, that is with maths.

Ozz^E

I actaully like the new explaination/understanding based science syllabuses. Like we already got MATHS for the calculations so i dont think theres a need for too much of it in the sciences.

nakata

thats the main reason why they revised the HSC for 2001/02
cause there was too much calculations, now its more english and writing based. I dont think there was much calculations in this years one, well projectile motion anyway. So i guess they want the physics to be more writing, less calculations. which is ok in a sense.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by enak

I hate how all the sciences have become more and more explanation based.... makes it so gay, but as long as you get good teachers its ok, all of our good physics teachers are leaving at the end of the year :(
I totally agree with you. Being a maths person, I was strongly against the invasion of english into the science courses, and all those stupid key words.

Really all the science courses test now is your rote learning of information and your uinderstanding of key words.

Physics just isn't physics anymore. It's always been a mathematical based subject for many decades prior to the introduction of the new HSC and it shouldn't have changed. And it's ridiculous that u get a formulae sheet for the exam. As well the calculations given are of the simplest form, and have no depth at all.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate

I totally agree with you. Being a maths person, I was strongly against the invasion of english into the science courses, and all those stupid key words.

Really all the science courses test now is your rote learning of information and your uinderstanding of key words.

Physics just isn't physics anymore. It's always been a mathematical based subject for many decades prior to the introduction of the new HSC and it shouldn't have changed. And it's ridiculous that u get a formulae sheet for the exam. As well the calculations given are of the simplest form, and have no depth at all.
unis complain about the fact that student who start uni physics know basically nothing compared to the student from the old syllabus ... and its a disadvantage to learn stuff and then start again ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by flyin'

unis complain about the fact that student who start uni physics know basically nothing compared to the student from the old syllabus ... and its a disadvantage to learn stuff and then start again ...
Yeah Lazarus also posted something about Uni physics being very mathematically based. People who do well in HSC physics don't have to be good at maths anymore, only good at rote learning.

People who do well at HSC physics and aren't good at maths could easily be misleaded into taking physics as a course in Uni which requires a lot of maths. They wouldn't go as well.

I think HSC physics should be teaching some content of uni physics. In effect we spend 2 years of high school studying physics and if physics is studied at uni, u have to start all over.

If you look at a subject like maths, it helps you with uni maths, and if you do 4 unit it is a huge advantage.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A

Yeah Lazarus also posted something about Uni physics being very mathematically based. People who do well in HSC physics don't have to be good at maths anymore, only good at rote learning.

People who do well at HSC physics and aren't good at maths could easily be misleaded into taking physics as a course in Uni which requires a lot of maths. They wouldn't go as well.

I think HSC physics should be teaching some content of uni physics. In effect we spend 2 years of high school studying physics and if physics is studied at uni, u have to start all over.

If you look at a subject like maths, it helps you with uni maths, and if you do 4 unit it is a huge advantage.
... in agreement ... in the old syllabus .... people doing physics could easily do mechanics and projectile motion and actually understand the content .. but nowadays everything in physics (well almost) must be retaught in maths ...

it just seems an immense waste of time to teach physlish to hsc students ... when inreality they need to maths ...

it doesnt affect me tho ... not doing anymore more physics ...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC

... in agreement ... in the old syllabus .... people doing physics could easily do mechanics and projectile motion and actually understand the content .. but nowadays everything in physics (well almost) must be retaught in maths ...

it just seems an immense waste of time to teach physlish to hsc students ... when inreality they need to maths ...

it doesnt affect me tho ... not doing anymore more physics ...
It doesn't affect me either, but if u look at it, 4 unit maths actually has a physics component in that of mechanics - this is very physics based, and is what I call true physics, not the BOS's english version of physics.

I reckon u could almost say that physics and chem are english extensions in science fields now, so I would have done 6 units worth of english --arrghh, just when u think english is restricted to only 2 units, perhaps that is why they made it compulsory.

And the BOS is claiming the fact that girls topped physics and chemistry for the first time in decades - as I've explained this is only because HSC science is now an extension of HSC english. If both were mathematically based, it would be an entirely different story (also for me personally in terms of my UAI).

spice girl

magic mirror
And the BOS is claiming the fact that girls topped physics and chemistry for the first time in decades - as I've explained this is only because HSC science is now an extension of HSC english. If both were mathematically based, it would be an entirely different story (also for me personally in terms of my UAI).
that is SOO true

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
BOS guy was visiting our school to talk about how the system works. I had a whinge to him about how Physics is not as maths based as it used to be... he replied in a wiseass manner.
"So you'd prefer to do another 2 units of maths called Physics eh?" He laughed :/

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by InfiniteQ
BOS guy was visiting our school to talk about how the system works. I had a whinge to him about how Physics is not as maths based as it used to be... he replied in a wiseass manner.
"So you'd prefer to do another 2 units of maths called Physics eh?" He laughed :/
hehehhe ... the more maths the merrier ... the old system was a maths-freak system ... four maths, phys and chem ... and thats eight units of maths plus the english and another unit ... :)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC

hehehhe ... the more maths the merrier ... the old system was a maths-freak system ... four maths, phys and chem ... and thats eight units of maths plus the english and another unit ... :)
That would've been bliss. It's much easier to study for maths.

jessika

law chicky
HSC

yeah, but they were also claiming that guys topped english and humanity based subjects as well.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by jessika

yeah, but they were also claiming that guys topped english and humanity based subjects as well.
Yes this is true... a guy topped adv eng & another topped eng ext 1

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the whole physics and english ... boy, girl thing ... is one big scam ... they make it so that there seems equality and that everyone can do well ... seriously its not right for boys to come first in english and girls to come first in physics and chem (although im preparing for the flack ill get for that comment) ... next you'll have boys coming first in dance and girls coming first in engineering studies ... the board is distoring the natural order ...

spice girl

magic mirror
For the preselection stage for science olympiads, they choose 20something ppl to a summer camp. In chemistry, out of these 20something people, there's only ONE girl.

Equality? pfffter...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
the whole physics and english ... boy, girl thing ... is one big scam ... they make it so that there seems equality and that everyone can do well ... seriously its not right for boys to come first in english and girls to come first in physics and chem (although im preparing for the flack ill get for that comment) ... next you'll have boys coming first in dance and girls coming first in engineering studies ... the board is distoring the natural order ...
I agree with you flyin, the BOS is upsetting the natural order (reminds me of King Lear hehe). English and humanities are girl's subjects and maths, physics and chem are guy subjects.

The more maths the better, and it should have stayed that way for phys and chem. I'm glad I don't have to do the HSC again, it's over, all i know is that uni physics is mathematucally based and those who do well in HSC physics won't necessairly do well in Uni physics (cause it's mathematically based, as I've heard this is what Uni's are complaining about with respect to HSC science courses).

Your performance in the HSC subjects is supposed to be some kind of indicator of your success at Uni which is the point of the UAI, but I don't believe this is the case with the new HSC syllabuses.

If only I had done the HSC 3 years earlier........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)