who else is surprised with chem and phys? (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
i expected to get about 90 RAW for bio so i was expecting like 94-96 and i ended up getting 89 ???

still wondering how this is possible...

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Lemme guess... their harsh marking is in regards to the phrasing of answers, not scientific aptitude. They're pretty much training students to prioritise concise delivery, neatly-drawn graphs and memory regurgitation over scientific curiosity and problem solving ability. Ugh.

helper

HSC
N/A
Your school with have these but still around 8% of the state had Band 6 in Physics and 26% Band 5. The questions all appeared reasonable but there were lots of twists and expectations of precise terminology that may have reduced marks,

Chemistry had an increase in Band 6s this year by about 2% but Band 5 is about the same

2xL

HSC
Lemme guess... their harsh marking is in regards to the phrasing of answers, not scientific aptitude. They're pretty much training students to prioritise concise delivery, neatly-drawn graphs and memory regurgitation over scientific curiosity and problem solving ability. Ugh.
Sounds about right. Oh well what can we do. Be proud of your marks, they are great :) (even the physics one!)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
l think they had a low band 5 cut off point, and a huge band 6 cut off point which left the state at like 40% band 5 and 3% band 6 for chem and phys
like every year?

Omg, you guys are so like totally on the cutting edge.

NOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE DON'T.

Bio and chem for me were unexpectedly disappointing, more so bio. What an unpleasant shock lmao.
"I only want 95.1"
>disappointed with subjects scores that scale to a 98-99 ATAR

welcome to science

Maybe all of you guys just had easy tests/markers at school. Lol

egnaro315

HSC
had 85 for both physics and chem but my ranks pulled it down to 84 and 81 :(

Laura_13_3

HSC
I got 90 in chem when I was expecting 60 - 70... I'm just glad the 8 marker for Industrial was about soaps/detergents, rote learning = win :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 92 externally and appeared to answer everything perfectly - I still think you're a bit of an overly harsh marker but not by much.
I'm so not.

I mark like your average HSC marker. Gosh.

And if you answered everything perfectly then why didn't you get 100? :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
But that's not what science is about, it's what HSC science is about.
And uni science. lol

And science always 5eva.

You'll be writing reports for your whole scientific life if you become a research scientist.

And keeping logbooks and shit.

Get used to it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm so not.

I mark like your average HSC marker. Gosh.

And if you answered everything perfectly then why didn't you get 100? :p
You estimated that I would be 88-90 and I got 92 - you are harsh but only a tiny bit.

You know the answer to that just as well as I do. Seriously, most people with Band 6 would have a good understanding of the course and know most details - going higher is just about making your response better (concise, succinct etc).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You estimated that I would be 88-90 and I got 92 - you are harsh but only a tiny bit.

You know the answer to that just as well as I do. Seriously, most people with Band 6 would have a good understanding of the course and know most details - going higher is just about making your response better (concise, succinct etc).
That was on that one test. Which you would've gotten for that one test. I had no doubt you would improve after that like you did though and you should be very happy with 90 and an exam mark of 92. ^_^

Oh yes, everyone with a band 6 would either have to have a solid understanding of the course, or they would need a relatively good understand of the course with that extra intuition to answer the harder questions.
I agree, but also I think you need the extra knowledge outside of the course to do the more difficult questions.
Plus, the writing and stuff comes under the skills of scientific though processes and progression of ideas and stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)