who got above 90 for their UAI here? (1 Viewer)

DC10

to get a UAI of 90 or above, what sort of HSC marks do i need to get?

- mostly 80s and a few in the 90s?
or mostly 80s etc.?

just want to have a clue about how things work...

btw if say a person get 90s for every subject, what would his UAI be about?

:rolleyes:

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by BlackJack
If say a person gets above 90 for every subject... wouldn't that be damn near 100? 99.5?
Wouldn't it depend on the subjects, as well as how the rest of the state goes (considering the UAI is a ranking)? Also there are only a few ppl who get 100 etc....but there are quite alot listed as "all rounders"....ie over 90 in all subjects.

I think whats required to get over 90 would change slightly every year...besides you should work ur hardest and do ur best regardless. Even if only 80s are required, thats no reason to not aim for 90s in ur subjects. Also, school marks are not necessarily what u will receive for ur HSC marks, so really trying ur best is the way to go - no more can be asked of you!!! :)

good luck :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by DC10
to get a UAI of 90 or above, what sort of HSC marks do i need to get?

- mostly 80s and a few in the 90s?
or mostly 80s etc.?

just want to have a clue about how things work...

btw if say a person get 90s for every subject, what would his UAI be about?

:rolleyes:
U can dig up a really old thread somewhere in this forum where Laz actually states various ppls UAI's and HSC marks that got them that UAI...it ranges from the 50's to the 99.95's from memory

DC10

ok here's my subjects :cool:

3 unit maths
2 unit adv english
2 unit chemistry
2 unit physics
2 unit visual arts
1 unit studies of religion (already finished)

school is sydney technical high school (selective school ;) )

DC10

yes exactly - that's exactly my point!
i got that sheet from UAC and that scared the hell out of me...
i got it this year cos of my accelerated studies of religion...

:chainsaw:

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
All the sheet means is don't expect your UAI to be roguhly equal to your alignmed marks. They distribute all the aligned marks with a mean of around 75, while the UAI's mean is around 60-odd.

The letter desn't tell you that they stretch out the curve of distribution both ways so they can make the adjustments for the 'difficulty' of the subjects easier...

Your school has an positive effect, I hope. It's bloody selective, friends went there... Your subjects should get you a decent mark, assuming you do well to get 90's aligned... use the Lazseeker

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by DC10
ok here's my subjects :cool:

3 unit maths
2 unit adv english
2 unit chemistry
2 unit physics
2 unit visual arts
1 unit studies of religion (already finished)

school is sydney technical high school (selective school ;) )
Well if your doing well in those subjects @ a selective high I thinkyou will go pretty well. The letter was just trying to tell you that an average mark in the HSC is no longer 50, it's more like 60 or 70 ...

DC10

it still depends on my work doesn't it?

for example, i was ranked 5th out of 17 in studies of religion 1 accelerated course (school assessment). does this mean i get the 5th mark from the HSC test results (from my school)?

i heard this from the principal on a HSC presentation night... but maybe i heard it wrong.. that system sounds quite absurd...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
No, you won't get the 5th mark. I'm sure of that.
For the half that comes from school. They'd do a bit a stretching (scaling), then determine the amount of marks that's given to your school (depending on how your class did compared to other schools). You get the 5th biggest share.
Your exam mark is the other half, without modification I think.
That would probably be the HSC amark, tho I don't really know. :p

schwang_thang

Your school has an positive effect, I hope. It's bloody selective, friends went there... Your subjects should get you a decent mark, assuming you do well to get 90's aligned... use the Lazseeker
i hate it how UAC (or is it the BoS?) insists that the school u go 2 wont affect ur UAI...just like how they claim that the subjects u do wont affect your UAI either...its absolute Bshit!

it was on that sheet that they sent us...bloody liars:chainsaw:

DC10

thanks for clearing that up blackjack :)

the school you go to would affect your marks won't it? i mean if it's say a selective school it's average raw mark of all the students in the HSC exam ... would most probably be higher than the other schools...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
thats true
thats why its good to "ride the wave" at selective schools, even if u might be an average student (ie myself), u still are more likely to get better moderated assessment marks as a group, than say, a comprehensive high school

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by schwang_thang
i hate it how UAC (or is it the BoS?) insists that the school u go 2 wont affect ur UAI...just like how they claim that the subjects u do wont affect your UAI either...its absolute Bshit!
The school you go to won't affect your UAI - the moderating process 'evens out' assessment marks between schools.

At first glance, it seems like those at a selective school will be advantaged. This is not the case. True, a selective school will probably perform very well on the exam. However, this isn't the only factor used - the moderated assessment mark for each student will also be based on their raw internal assessment ranking. The process assumes that teachers will accurately rank students in their class, regardless of the actual marks awarded. The exam performance of the class is used to measure the ability of the class as a whole, and thus is used to moderate the assessment marks, as it's the only common factor between all schools doing that course. If a student is ranked in the middle of their class assessment-wise, then they'll have a moderated assessment mark that is in the middle. The rank order doesn't change. Students at a selective school will have a high exam average, and as such will receive high moderated assessment marks - there is nothing advantageous about this! If a class at ANY school achieves a high exam average, the moderated assessment marks for that class will be high.

(1) You're ranked in the middle at a selective school
- this means you're of average ability compared to your class

(2) The class performs well on the HSC exam
- this means the class is of high ability compared to the state

(3) You receive a high moderated assessment mark (which still ranks you in the middle of your class)
- your class was judged to be better than most of the state, and your teachers judged you to be better than half of your class, so this is completely justified

I have no idea where this perception of 'bias' comes from. If you could explain your stance I could try and write a more definitive response.

The UAC doesn't claim that the subjects you do won't affect your UAI. They claim that no student will be advantaged or disadvantaged by the scaling process - which is true. Students will perform better in subjects which they like, have an aptitude for, and which provide a basis for their desired degree or path of the future.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Laz, the problem is 'the class performed well in the exam', selective schools are more likely to acheve this. :p Yes, ANY class could get a high mark and a high UAI, but really they CAN but it's a case of WILL they?

It IS true, in some respects that UAI isn't affected by the school you go to, but that must assume you are a conscientious student and studies a lot (without distractions by your friends and 'communication' difficulties with your teahcer and/or textbooks).
However. I believe there IS a difference because of the teaching attitudes and the work ethics.
Truly, a lot of us would study better with friends who help us. And the teachers at a selective schoool are more inclined than the average to spur their students to strive.
The problem with a normal school is that there is a higher percentage of less academic students who won't try, who would also drag some other students into not achieving their best. This will affect the performance of the school.

Let's suppose you will get 90 for your exam. You AREN'T the best from your school, which gets 95... :p *grrr...*
The ranking for the entire class is identifcal for both cases and for both internal and external... Now, if you and your 'friend' goes to a good school which has the marks bunched up near 70, you get a higher internal mark then you would if you go to a school where the marks are spread more evenly, down into the 50s.

We help each other a lot in our school, it pays because everyone knows the stuff then. :p Tho there is a risk of students exceeding you. :D:p:mad1:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The only thing that the scaling attempts to do is to ensure those who go to a selective school arn't disadvantaged by being average at a selective rather than top in a goverment school ...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Laz, the problem is 'the class performed well in the exam', selective schools are more likely to acheve this. :p Yes, ANY class could get a high mark and a high UAI, but really they CAN but it's a case of WILL they?
But you're missing the point - selective schools are more likely to achieve this because their classes consist of better students. It is entirely justified then that they receive high moderated assessment marks in return for being better students.

It IS true, in some respects that UAI isn't affected by the school you go to, but that must assume you are a conscientious student and studies a lot (without distractions by your friends and 'communication' difficulties with your teahcer and/or textbooks). However. I believe there IS a difference because of the teaching attitudes and the work ethics.
True, but that's an external factor, and not one caused by the Board's moderating procedures. :)

Let's suppose you will get 90 for your exam. You AREN'T the best from your school, which gets 95... :p *grrr...*
The ranking for the entire class is identifcal for both cases and for both internal and external... Now, if you and your 'friend' goes to a good school which has the marks bunched up near 70, you get a higher internal mark then you would if you go to a school where the marks are spread more evenly, down into the 50s.
Yes, that's exactly right - and it's perfectly logical, if you think about it. The school that had exam marks bunched up near 70 will have moderated assessment marks bunched up near 70. These moderated assessment marks will be completely consistent with the performance of the class on the HSC exam. If the school instead had exam marks spread down into the 50s, yes, you would receive a lower moderated assessment mark - but this is completely in line with the ability of the class. Note that your exam mark is not changed at all; your exam mark will always be your exam mark. The ability of the class is 'measured' by their performance on the HSC exam, and so the moderated assessment marks of that class are adjusted to be consistent with that performance.

This is actually surprisingly difficult to explain... hmm. I'll try to come up with a proper analogy and get back to you.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
The process assumes that teachers will accurately rank students in their class, regardless of the actual marks awarded.
and what if they didn't, cause they had a personal vendetta against you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)