who is absolutely sick of english? (1 Viewer)

mannnnndy

chocoholic
i just want to know who is just completely fed up with english? i mean it is the most useless subject. i know were sposed 2 know how 2 communicate and stuff but what use is reading long boring stuff like shakespeare where u lose the plot after the first sentance (even though they go on for 10 pages). i mean seriously how is this relevent in any way 2 real life???:confused: :confused: :p :confused: :confused:

izi

HSC
I TOTALLY agree!!!
It is the most useless load of shit! I mean seriously... what relevance to life does analysing and evaluating the techniques that author has used in order to convey his message effectively to the audience and what his purpose was, have? OH! And dont forget the context!!! Its ALL in the context! And of course the values! And if Hamlet wanted to kill himself or his uncle or WHATEVER, he should have just gone ahead and done it! We really dont CARE that he is afraid of the unknown. He can shove his soliloquy in.....
In conclusion, english is crap, its a waste of time and its a waste of paper.
So if anyone out there agrees that english is crap, please convey your feelings here, and dont forget to use the right techniques!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
wat u going on about! English is in da house!
I reckon one day, they should make an essay section in the 4u paper. Then all the ppl that can't do maths can beat the asians.

And wat u mean we don't use the english we learn in real life. Are you saying u don't recite shakespeare in your own spare time?! Surely you have deep concerns about "in the wild" issues.

I personally am shocked at your opinions. I mean english is so useful! You use it when you......
And when you ..........
I mean can you can u imagine a world where people don't talk like shakespeare? Like at my school, if u talked not like shakespeare, u'd get bashed or sumfin!

izi

HSC
Exactly!
Authors do not actually think about the techniques they should use to write something!
In maths you have rules, formulas, you know whats right and wrong. In english you dont, you just bullshit. There is no knowledge in it! You cant even study for it! Its just a matter of writing some essay loaded with technique shit and regurgitating it in the exam. For a maths mark, you have to work for it, you have to understand whats happening. In english... YOU DONT!
Maths all the way!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
i agree and disagree

yes mathematics is more structured, and u do use a hell of a lot of it in real life, and in actual fact, u'd use more of the 4U stuff in real life than perhaps in 2U, cos if u do 4U, ur more than likely going on to a science or engineering career, requring all that knowledge

however, english requires understanding as well
we live in an english speaking nation and therefore we have to appreciate the great texts that manipulate the english language so intelligently (ie shakespeare, donne's poetry), just as we marvel at the exploits of einstein and newton in mathematics

in relation to the language techiniques...writers dont think like "ill use alliterations here and exaggerations there"....they use, for example, exaggerations for the way we study their purpose...to help create meaning
i mean, how bland and useless would a text be without these language features, and thats why, to some extent, writers DO purposely use them to make their text more appreciated and enjoyable

but in my opinion
yes maths is way more useful than english

izi

HSC
this is a debate!
no, this is a WAR!!!
So minai, i suggest you pick a side.
which one is it, maths or the world of meaningless shit otherwise known as english?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
im not gonna take a side, cos i value both of them equally!

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Id just like 2 say right now that I agree with what Bon said. The reason why im knocking english, is not that i hate people who like english as sango said, but that i actually think that the course itself is a load of shit. i wouldnt be here going on about why i hate english if it wasnt compulasry. THATS what the problem is. I and many others are being forced to do a subject that were not good at or have no interest in. it goes both ways too. i dont have a problem with people who love english but are bad at maths and spend a lot of time knocking it.

but seriously are there ppl out there that actully use this in real life? (besides at -=MLhtʻ=-'s school) i just want to know what it will ever be used for beyond our wonderful days of y12 and the hsc. but as ive calculated by using my skills in 4u maths that i only have 17 hours and 20 minutes left of it to go, and once its over im not looking back;)

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by sango

Doing a 2 page conics proof can be just as self-satisfying as appreciating a masterpiece of TS Eliot.
can i just ask, where did i say doing a 2 page conics was satifying??? i dont like either of those options.

mkogan

Um... English is the most pointless subject... WHo cares about "Change" who cares about device??? Math you will use in later life, english you will NOT!!!

English is made to make EVRYONE good in math FAIL!!!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by mkogan
English is made to make EVRYONE good in math FAIL!!!!
not necessarily!
a guy got on the Honour Roll (90+ in 10 units) from my skool last yr, and he got something like band 4 in standard english

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
mkogan
How can u say "English is made to make EVRYONE good in math FAIL!!!!" when i am the maths God at my skool and i am also in the top 3 in english advances always!!!!!!!:D
It depends on your ability whether you can full around with numbers or words well or in my case both!!!!!!!

Nelly

I see where everyone is going. You're both right.

Personally, I agree that English Essay's are all about b/s. However, it also is good when you know that someone has used a textual device to pursuade you. Maybe its just me, but thats the only thing interesting in the topic. Otherwise, change and all that, ITS ALL CRAP.

Winsux

What is the go that english has to count towards your best 10 units when calculating your uai - hey wait does that involve maths??

so theoretically, you only have 8 units that count, plus english that is compulsory - WTF???

I agree that english should be compulsory, but i don't agree that english has to count for the uai, in a way, it does disadvantage the science/maths orientated student

but please correct me if i'm wrong

izi

HSC
thats right, english should NOT be counted towards your uai because it DOES disadvantage some people.
i hate english and i know that there are some people out there who love it (strangely enough).
concerning all those people who like english and dont like maths, how would you feel if you HAD to do maths even though you sucked at it?
i have nothing against you liking english, but PLEASE agree with me and say that no subject should be compulsory because it disadvantages some people

you may have noticed that the above text has used a number of techniques to persuade the reader such as.... and ..... and also...

kate

i agree..

nothing should be compulsory, it is so unfair...

english is so hard for me but the rest arent bad, almost easy infact..

its alright for people good at english but what about those who arent?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
to be fairer on both sides, english should be compulsory, yet if it turns out to be your worst units, it shouldnt have to count for UAI...(however thinkin bout it, its flawed, cos ppl will purposely fail in order for it not to count)

Fradam

Tall man
HSC
Bottom line is, to ensure literacy levels remain where they are or move up, the govt must enforce mandatory English. Not much you can really do about that; whinging won't change it, proposing alternate solutions won't change it, ignoring it won't change it, and arguing about it won't change it.

Ahh.. change. Gotta love that Change! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)