who is the second best cricketer ever? (1 Viewer)

david88

HSC
We all know the DON is the best ever cricketr with an average of nearly double the second best batsman ever. If Bradmans the best, who is second?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well its very hard to choose because there are no distinct stand outs other than Bradman. Also the fact that most people have never even watched some of these batsmen play. If i was to choose some of the contenders both playing now and not playing anymore I would have to nominate:

Sobers (West Indies), Pollock (Father of the one playing for South Africa now), Tendulkar (Leading century maker, Bradman's self proclaimed successor), Gavaskar (equal record with Tendulkar), Viv Richards (West Indies) and Jack Hobbs (England)

If I was forced to choose Id have to say Sobers is the second best batsman of all time.

On a side note, who do people consider best ODI player? I cant go past Tendulkar for best ODI player. Next to him Id have to put Steve Waugh.

david88

HSC
Bevan

Bevan is the best ODI player ever! He has an average of over 50 and gets the runs wen it counts. He has also saved Australia's arse from humiliation many times like(Australia vs West Indies s.c.g 1996 1st January)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
viv richards would be better than tendaulker in odis... bevan and wasim akram would also be just as good if not better than tendaulker

the don is just so far ahead of everyone else that the 2nd best is just too hard to pick... in most peoples bext ever XI, the second picked guy would prolly have been garfield sobers, who was a great batsmen and could bowl a variety of deliveries.

but then theres also among the batsmen: viv richards, graeme pollock, jack hobbs, gavaskar; bowlers: murali, warne, lillee, barnes, marshall; allrounders: hadlee, imran khan, keith miller; and keeper: gilly

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont think Bevan is best ODI player, his average is so high only because he usually comes in near the end and remains not out on 10-30 runs most of the times. Meanwhile Tendulkar is both the leading run scorer and century maker in ODI and as an opener it would be near impossible to average over 50 as in ODI matches openers almost always get out. But thats just my opinion

Last edited:

aj_number_10

HSC
its hard for me to judge only watching cricket from 1992 , and seriously from 1995. From What ive heard Viv Richards could do things with the bat not many people can.

The best cricketers ive seen are:

Bowlers:

Curtly Ambrose & Shane Warne

Batters:

Brian Lara & Sachin Tendulker

RiCe_GrOwEr

Designated Hitter
HSC
N/A
Bradman considered Tendulkar as one of the best batsman he had ever seen, so I would go with Sachin as the 2nd best cricketer ever.

You gotta remind yourself that Sachins still got a couple of years left in him.........

illin

Ill factor
HSC
I reckon G. Sobers has to be the (second best)
he opened both the batting and the bowling and we was just simply as freak
he had natural talent that no-one else has possessed for awhile
Sobers hands down

S

serv0

Well according to Wisden (and also Steve Waugh), Muralitharan is the "Donald Bradman of bowling" which must mean that he is also the 2nd greatest cricketer ever. Unless ofcourse there were more great batsmen before the greatest bowlers in which case Tendulkar and Viv Richards would be in with a chance.

aj_number_10

HSC
Argonaut said:
NO Australian is worthy of the title of Second Best - we're too bloody good, so the only people who can get the title are those who can cause a small blip on our radar and actually put their team in danger of being taken seriously, hence Tendulkar gets my vote.
Not completly true, Tendulkar has not caused Australia a headache in a long time now. I think if ure talking potential best player, id say Gilchrist cause i dont think many people ever would have the ability to do the things he does.

But once again I think its a hard post to write in , when most people in here would of seen 10 years of cricket max and its been going since late 1800s?

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
Victor Trumper, Kieth Miller or Steve Waugh.

There is a current player who in 15 or so years time will be considered up there ;)

Nontheless it's hard to compare eras.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Its pretty tough to compare different positions to determine who is the best cricketer...i mean what is the bowling comparison of a 100 average? If you were to find the best all round cricketer ever then it would be a different story as there is a means of comparison.

dave_119

Banned
HSC
fuckin ang cricketer who could saty out til 2 in the morning of a test, full of piss and still be able to score some runs.. e.g doug walters, viv richards, sobers

max

That which u feel becomes
HSC
dave_119 said:
fuckin ang cricketer who could saty out til 2 in the morning of a test, full of piss and still be able to score some runs.. e.g doug walters, viv richards, sobers

Greg blewett has been known to do that.

Sometimes Richards was referred to as the 'black bradman'.
He was an awesome fieldsman.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Viv Richards.

Also, looking at current form, i think Rahul Dravid should be there, among the top few. I mean, he is in a team where nearly everyone is overshadowed by Sachin, but he has been The Wall numerous times.

kirabolton

HSC
its all a matter of opinion really, there are so many great cricketers out there....

i don't remember who wrote it but tendulkar really hasn't challanged australia that much recentley but there is no doubted he is a fine player. I'd have to say sobers is fantastic, keith miller and my absoloute favourites - Victor trumper and archie jackson, jackson would have been bigger than bradman i swear to you...if he hadn't died, but hey! at least his memory was never tarnished.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well sobers was an absolute freak, viv richards was one helluva batsman, keith miller is one of the greatest characters to play for australia.

hmm ill just say adam gilchrist and see how many people jump on me.

nit

HSC
its all very well to look at greatness in terms of what they actually do with the bat or ball, but I think that greatness in terms of a sportsman, and in general, anyone, is defined by the character of a person. People like Dravid and Tendulkar have remained so down-to-earth in terms of their personalities, despite their huge successes, in a way most of the Aussies I dont belive have. Gilchrist may be considered an exception here, I guess, which is why he, along with those I've named sit somewhere at the helm of ODI's. Theres no doubting that Tendulkar, Lara, Gilchrist etc on their day can score aggressively and tear an opposition attack apart, but equally vital are players who steady the ship in times of crisis, which is why players like Dravid have become such valuable one-day players. Damn, its too hard to nominate a best ODI player, especially as I along with most people here, havent seen much of players like Gary Sobers or Viv Richards. On a related note, that guy Chris Gayle has one helluvan attacking game...watching him tear brett lee and shaun tait at their pace apart was pretty cool to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)