Who memorises essays for english? (1 Viewer)

What strategy do you use for english exams?

• Total voters

inJust

HSC
I remember quotes and then make up bs in the exam. Although it's risky, it's the way to go because with the adrenaline under exam conditions, you come up with pretty profound crap.

RishBonjour

HSC
I remember quotes and then make up bs in the exam. Although it's risky, it's the way to go because with the adrenaline under exam conditions, you come up with pretty profound crap.
(Y)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Word for Word, adapt to the question. If I don't, I sound unsophisticated.
This! My writing in exams is terrible compared to when I can perfect my essays at home

hpatdh

HSC
- Memorising body paragraphs and adding an introduction, conclusion and topic/linking sentences during the exam

This strategy has gotten me 19/20 for all my assessments thus far. Need to break the 20 barrier...

Memento-mori

HSC
I don't, but I'm thinking of doing it now. A band 6 english essay probably requires 1000 words, sophistication, references, techniques, etc. For such a vague topic such as belonging, I probably can do that. But I wouldn't rely on it, however.

I do memorise my creative writing however, I find that to be more flexible, I just make sure it incorporates a place, idea, belonging, exclusion. I was surprised how easy that was.

Kingportable

HSC
Memorise analys of of quotes and the key points it encapsulates like change in genre and how it resonates with your thesis not the whole essay. Why go through the trouble of memorising to get a bludgeoning b? Don't be one of those kids trying to jam a triangle piece on the circle compartments =)

StephanieMit

HSC
I memorise my English essays. The only problem that I have is rearranging it to suit the question. So I think I might only have to memorise techniques, quotes and topic sentences. Not word for word.

killerg0d

HSC
I'd say for Standard if you really want your band 6 and get out of the band 5 range, you gotta not remember your essays and try and study your texts in depth, then produce a really good essay in the exam.
You can have a template but you have to study all your texts in depth.

TheBloop

HSC
My friends went to Sydney Girls and graduated last year, and a fair few people that got state ranks were from there, and they told me that majority of those girls memorised their essays.

Focus is Key

HSC
I tend to organise my essay planning into techniques, quotes and effects which I memorise. I don't memorise whole paragraphs or anything, because if I did that it'd be too difficult to remember and they probably wouldn't even fit the question well. To me the only things worth memorising exactly word for word are the quotes obviously, and to just have techniques for those quotes, their presentation and effects.

I don't know about others but I think I'd crack under pressure trying to memorise an entire easy or every single body paragraph, but then again my strategy definately wouldn't work for everybody :D

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say for Standard if you really want your band 6 and get out of the band 5 range, you gotta not remember your essays and try and study your texts in depth, then produce a really good essay in the exam.
You can have a template but you have to study all your texts in depth.
I know a few Band 6 Standard students and they wrote many essays which they perfected constantly - they memorised and moulded flawlessly.

uhoohoo

HSC
memorise everything and hope for a generic question

HSC
memorise..didn't work for modules trials though - will be giving myself more time for the hsc. just get the generic memorised ones in your head well ahead of time, and then get stuck into writing practice essays under timed conditions with new, weirder questions and then getting them marked. (What i'm going to do after trial results which will be shockingly shit)

Bearman

HSC
memorised essays for my hsc. if the majority of students at the top selective schools got decent marks by this approach, there's gotta be some merit to it

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
memorised essays for my hsc. if the majority of students at the top selective schools got decent marks by this approach, there's gotta be some merit to it
Memorising is just simply effective.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
At the beginning of year 11 when I wasn't memorising my marks were atrocious, getting stuff like 5/20. Once I started memorising my marks shot up.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
At the beginning of year 11 when I wasn't memorising my marks were atrocious, getting stuff like 5/20. Once I started memorising my marks shot up.
Yeah, ummm, I dunno how that's possible LOL

Even I managed ~13/20 without any sort of memorisation - not even directly memorisation of any specific quotes.

Ms106

Complexity
HSC
I'm a bit half half personally, memorise quotes/techniques, occasionally wordings of arguments etc, but generally adapt quotes/techniques I have to a new question everytime.

And I know many Band 6's from my school didn't memorise essays.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Year 11: didnt memorise, ranked 125 out of 180 students in english. uai estimate: 85
Year 12: memorised, 94 band 6 in english exam, hsc 99.55. winning.

also memorised exams for economics and business studies. 94, 95 band 6.

it just works.

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
I don't memorise at all- I just make sure I know my quotes and techniques, but I make up analysis/thesis, and essentially, the entire essay, in the exam. I cant bring myself to memorise essays- admittedly, it's probably easier, but I feel it defeats the purpose of exams. I prepare by writing lots of scaffolds and writing practice essays under exam conditions, and making sure I have a sophisticated conceptual grasp of the modules/texts. It's worked for me so far, and it's an approach I intend on continuing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)