• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

who thinks P plates allow for discrimination? (2 Viewers)

quik.

HSC
imo the message tehy're sending is that its tolerable at certain times

ie when you're on your fulls, and when its not a public holiday
Disagree

The message atm and for the foreseeable future is SPEED KILLS

You might get a cop who uses his discretion to just be like yeah slow it down son, but I would say the majority would ping you to meet their targets or whatever.

Laika_

Banned
HSC
the cop here with his orange xr turbo goes through town at 70 then drops it down a gear or 2 and chirps the wheels as he goes past the park. everytime. while doing 70. cos it has THAT much power.

quitting my job to become highway patrol, iv already got a chip on my shoulder

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I really doubt they have targets. They're sort of obliged to ping you if you're going over, and with camera footage of you pulling a top gun fly by, it kinda leaves them a little vulnerable to just let you go.

And as for the other thing, if you look at it, it really does send a mixed message. P1's lose their licenses for anything. Anything. A learner gets more leniency (although I don't really have any problems here), as do P2's and fulls. On public holidays there are double demerits to discourage you from speeding during that period. so wtf are the demerits for on every other day?

I've always governed my speed by telling myself "don't go faster than you're willing to get caught". During double demerits it means stick to the limit, every other day is 10-15 over. When the same offence carries 2 different penalities at 2 different times, it does send a message that it is more acceptable at one time.

quik.

HSC
Targets are very real

Obviously not every division has traffic targets, but traffic cops do

The major issue I have with it is discretion, having targets basically takes away that as a factor unless they are close to or have finished their targets for the day/week/month whatever period they are for

For your example I would say with the +/- of the laser, provided he actually pinged you and wasn't busy dealing with the van, you would have only appeared to be going 1 or 2 over, assuming your speedo is correct. Wouldn't see your plates due to lights, so wouldn't bother ticketing.

If he figured 'oh that p plater is speeding but it is not dangerous in these conditions' I would be very very surprised.

Edit: DD means I don't ride unless I *have* to because I prefer to keep in front of traffic. I realise that they won't necessarily share my safety view and so I wait it out. I agree with not speeding past what you are willing to cop a fine for, though. 0-15 is the first category and the most common ppl get booked for

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I don't think he bothered to ping me. 90/115 leaves a 22% speedo error on a reasonably new car. I'm not claiming i was actually doing that, but 91/92 seems a bit of a stretch. It was broad daylight and i cut down to 90 the second i passed him, with no cars between us. He didn't seem too bothered by everyone flying past him. Later in strathfield he did pull a sick handbrake turn on a roundabout to book some guy that dived in without giving way to a tarago that was already on it.

As much revenue as it pulls in, I find it really hard to believe that the police force is the state's collection plate holder. Sure it pulls out a lot of revenue, but at the end of the day I'd like to think that's not their main motive.

quik.

HSC
Oh totally my bad, I don't know the M5 and assumed it had a limit of 110

Edit: Fuck it was the M4 guess I just can't read then hey, jesus christ

Edit2: Motorist generated revenue:

"A News Limited investigation has found the NSW Government made $312 million in revenue from motorists in the last financial year. Six years ago the figure was less than half that, at $118 million."

"Speed and red light cameras, police-issued speeding fines, parking fines and general traffic offences have all contributed to the figure, as well as rising fine costs."

11/2/08 at http://www.mynrmacommunity.com/motoring/2008/02/11/nsw-fine-revenue-figures/

Last edited:

quik.

HSC
Yeah I know where you're talking about now, I was thinking bout the M5 from Riets' post when I was replying to yours

Edited in motorist generated revenue in my previous post, more than 300 million

russs

yeeeee
HSC
P plates may allow for discrimination, but most P-platers drive like total dicks (including me).

Looking around, you can see these stereotypes:

- A red p-plater driving a total bomb that shouldnt be on the road.
- A p-plater driving a 4-cyl with a fart can trying to prove their 1.72 L jap engine can really put out the power at redline. Complete with a bodykit scraping the ground.
- Speeding
- Hardcore (over 40kmph) speeding.
- Tailgating for no apparent reason.
- Right-lane hogging
- Chatting on the phone - usually a chick.

Being a P-plater myself, it seems odd to give a hard time fellow P-platers, but if I was in a patrol car I'd go for a P-plater making noise in a Subaru.

Ofcourse there is also the mom in the SUV who doesn't notice she's driving on the kerb and the nutcase in a v8 commy to pick on.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
In my hypothetical I was thinking green Ps and a 110 km/h zone.
well thats easy, you were committing a bigger offence as far as they're concerned.

120 by the speedo, take away 10% error which provides reasonable grounds for appeal, 2km/h leeway for lidar and they're back under the limit. you on the other hand

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
i dont like the whole idea of p platers having to put p plates on their cars.. all it does is give cops a good excuse to pick on you.

having p plates on your car also insights stupid driving behaviour because idiot drivers want to show off in front of other p platers. if they didnt have the p plates on they wouldnt act like dickheads so much around each other because it wouldnt be so obvious that the other driver is young as well.

i dont even know what the purpose is for having p plates visible on a car.. is it to make aware to the other drivers that you are still not that experienced? when have other drivers been more cautious around p platers on the road? imo it has no effect..

discuss
its cuz ur a wog

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
well thats easy, you were committing a bigger offence as far as they're concerned.

120 by the speedo, take away 10% error which provides reasonable grounds for appeal, 2km/h leeway for lidar and they're back under the limit. you on the other hand
Which is why the law is stupid. Most cops are pretty lenient though, tbh. My friend tiedgen got clocked at 118 and braking (ie, quite a bit faster before he saw the policecar) and she wrote it down as under 15 since he had no previous speeding fines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)