Who wants to be a teacher because of a scholarship and a high ATAR requirement (Over 80)? (1 Viewer)

5uckerberg

HSC
High achievers to get up to $12k a year to become teachers under Labor
All the students/Student teachers/ teachers or anyone concerned share your thoughts?
I am playing the middle ground on this one.

vishnay

God
HSC
High achievers to get up to $12k a year to become teachers under Labor
All the students/Student teachers/ teachers or anyone concerned share your thoughts?
I am playing the middle ground on this one.
"Despite state and federal government efforts to improve the quality of teachers, the number of students with an ATAR over 80 going into education degrees has collapsed to 3.3 per cent, compared to 30 per cent in the early 1990s."

the most concerning statistic imo like surely there are a lot more relatively smart ppl going into teaching

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
"Despite state and federal government efforts to improve the quality of teachers, the number of students with an ATAR over 80 going into education degrees has collapsed to 3.3 per cent, compared to 30 per cent in the early 1990s."

the most concerning statistic imo like surely there are a lot more relatively smart ppl going into teaching
I think that's a meaningless statistic. The number of people who go to uni today is vastly higher than 30 years ago, so we should expect that number to fall dramatically even if the same number of people are going into teaching. What would be much more useful is the percent of teachers who had an ATAR above 80, or the mean ATAR for teachers now vs then.

5uckerberg

HSC
why the fuck do teachers need to be smart. lol. its not even a hard job its a massive waste of valuable smart ppl for them to do dropkick jobs like teacher
Who sent you here? I find your statement very disappointing. If that is what you think then you really need to find something else to do with your life. “Not even a hard job,” I think you have been a student for way too long. Trust me what you see in the classroom is around 20% of what you actually see going on in a teacher’s job so you might need to reconsider your thoughts.

“Why the fuck do teachers need to be smart.” The old adage from George Bernard Shaw had to come back is it? Hmm they have to because I mean why would students love a teacher who lack knowledge of subject content. There are exceptions but generally a teacher who is not smart with subject knowledge will not instill confidence in the class for the students.

"It's a massive waste of valuable smart ppl for them to do dropkick jobs like teacher." Okay, if your statement is true then why is it that a student who did Extenion II English, Extension I Maths, Agricultural studies, modern history, Drama, Ancient history in Year 12 and went to NSW's top school (JRAHS) got an ATAR of 98 and was the only student of his cohort who decided to be a teacher despite his family's desire for him to want to be a doctor, lawyer or even an engineer. If we are using your definition of smart people then he should have not been a teacher but why did he become a teacher and now is NSW's most well-known teacher.

Your statement has a layer of truth because they begin to realise that pay is what stops them from continuing to be a teacher and also the behavioural issues from students usually convinve people to leave teaching but that does not justify your statement because smart people like all people can have the feeling of unrepayable debt towards their teachers and such would be keen to deliver it forward. Plus, some smart people love to share their huge library of knowledge with high school students and being a teachers allows them to do so. There are many more other reasons but these are some of the reasons why people (smart people included) want to be a teacher.

5uckerberg

HSC
"It's a massive waste of valuable smart ppl for them to do dropkick jobs like teacher." Okay, if your statement is true then why is it that a student who did Extension II English, Extension I Maths, Agricultural studies, modern history, Drama, and Ancient history in Year 12 and went to NSW's top school (JRAHS) got an ATAR of 98 and was the only student of his cohort who decided to be a teacher despite his family's desire for him to want to be a doctor, lawyer or even an engineer. If we are using your definition of smart people then he should have not been a teacher but why did he become a teacher and now is NSW's most well-known teacher.

The entire paragraph is basically a description of Eddie Woo. Using the application of a counter-example to disprove a universal statement.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just because you have a certain ATAR/UAI/etc doesn't mean you need to automatically pick a course which has a high cut off.

Teaching is one of those professions where given the monetary reward isn't great, it needs to be something which you are genuinely passionate about. These scholarships/subsidies do help reduce barriers to entering the teaching workforce, but I doubt will make a meaningful impact on the supply of teachers.

Unfortunately the sentiments expressed by someone else in this thread are probably a stronger example of why people don't pursue a career in education. I have family members who are teachers into there countries where the career is far more respectable within society and is remunerated as such, and it's unfortunate that we seem to not have such a high opinion of the same path here in Australia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)