• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's actually successful finding a job?! (1 Viewer)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
i work as a telemarketer, job requires you to piss off ppl having dinner lol and making sales.

in the interview all you need to do is demonstrate that you can speak english and youre hired.

jayz

walking
...wat's wif coles, maccas, kmart, ....? they seemed to get so much attention on BOS...did they sponsor the site or sumthing?

there r so many diff jobs out there, lyk routemarker said, telemarketer is an option, it ain't bad either, i got a fwend workn for $15/hr plus commission and all he does is sit there and chat to his fellow workers...

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
Originally posted by routemarker
i work as a telemarketer, job requires you to piss off ppl having dinner lol and making sales.
I did that in year 12- god I was abused so much :( and it wasn't like I could make equally snide remarks back coz that wasn't part of "company policy" :mad1: i left... never going to do it again

routemarker

HSC
lol yeah sometimes ppl are pissed off at you but i sell rafle tix for charities so its a little harder for them to be rude. If youre selling goods theres no chance really.

capsicum

HSC
Originally posted by jayz
...wat's wif coles, maccas, kmart, ....? they seemed to get so much attention on BOS...did they sponsor the site or sumthing?
I agreeeeeee

Originally posted by jayz
there r so many diff jobs out there, lyk routemarker said, telemarketer is an option, it ain't bad either, i got a fwend workn for $15/hr plus commission and all he does is sit there and chat to his fellow workers...
how cool is that? paid $15 an hr for chatting with fellow workers!

Originally posted by MissMacbeth
ok, who here actually is finding a job and getting it easily?

Any colesmyer ppl don't count b/c they'll hire a serial killer.

I applied to my 12th job interview this year and I STILL didn't get the job(s)

The first few reasons were I was too old, then I was too overqualified, then I wasn't the right type, NOW it's the level of availability!

I'm pretty sure it's just my crappy town, but has anyone else had the experience of trying to find a job for 7 years like me?

ps> The experiences that make my blood boil:
1: My friend stole more than $5,000 worth of stock and money over a two year period. When he got caught, they didn't fire him, they promoted him - and that place *who remains nameless* told me, they think I'd be irresponsible for the job in one interview!!!

2: Another friend has NEVER EVER worked a job in his life - not even at Maccas, yet, when he finishes yr 12, he instantly is a manager at Hungry Jacks... How the fuck did he manage that!!!

3: Both cases - two girls, one from Sydney the other from Bris had managing positions at two different companies (subway and Boost Juice) they applied for a general non-managing position in their companies, but here, neither got the job. Instead a bunch of 13yo sl*tty looking girls got the jobs.

What ever you do people, NEVER EVER come to my town unless you want to be poor and homeless.
i applied for a job the other day and i got called in for an interview which was good. and they called me again to go in for some trials. hopefully i get the job otherwise ill slap myself

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC

in the interview all you need to do is demonstrate that you can speak english and youre hired.
Originally posted by eLmo
I did that in year 12- god I was abused so much :( and it wasn't like I could make equally snide remarks back coz that wasn't part of "company policy" :mad1: i left... never going to do it again
that;s why they hire people so easily, no one wants to do it.

routemarker

HSC
hence why i dont work sundays anymore, ppl hate getting calls on sunday while the supervisors go 'hey just ask for $80 on credit card and they'll give it to you, its sunday theyre feeling generous after going to church' bullshit!

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
i dont know anyone who goes to church let alone give $80 to charity... its $2 or no deal!

I got some kid obviously new to the job spend 5mins READING not speaking about some stupid holiday... It was so lame when he would read out a question to me.
"does... that...sound...good...to...you?"

I felt sorry for him so I hang up effective, immediately!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by cro_angel
i got the first job i ever applied for without an interview :)
ditto, however mine was without a resume too

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
lol yeah sometimes ppl are pissed off at you but i sell rafle tix for charities so its a little harder for them to be rude. If youre selling goods theres no chance really.
Yes who the fuck wants to buy rollershutters?? lol
...and the few ppl who actually bought them from me.. well I was usually in shock that they'd buy such rubbish ...so my phone coversations were rushed and unorganised :rolleyes:

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
I'm actually planning to hand in my resignation at Kmart - maybe tomorrow.
LOL before they fire me!
Over the weekend, I went to Brisbane and didn't get back till dawn (don't ask) and then I get a call on Sun from Kmart saying I was meant to work on Sat and that morning. If I was awake enough I would have been more polite but I think I said something like, oh well, don't worry about it. I don't care...Honestly I'm not sure what I said - it was 9:30am!! (that's like 4am to me)
LOL I should have known I was working a long weekend! I always seem to be when there's a double time and a half the next day (yet I never work those days - I always have to work the days before it)

I'm mainly gonna quit b/c of their horrible attitudes and especially when they rostered me on 5 minutes before they called me and made it my fault. THEN there's one of the managers who has the sweet but evil fakeness to her personality - the min she hears a beep coming from the computer (as in a mistake) she's already on my case saying it's unprofessional...give me a break lady!

Oh yeah! and while I'm at it - what insulted me most was being hired as an Xmas / Stocktake casual and either days/holidays I was put on the backburner. It's really self esteem building when you check your roster, walk in, find everyone (And I mean every single employee) doing stocktake, you check your roster and find that you're the ONLY name that isn't working that day. With this story I'm not overexaggerating! I stood there and looked at everyone's day and everyone was rostered on but me!

So beware kiddies. If you apply for Kmart - their spirit isn't in who has the best customer service (which I am pretty good at) It's how rude and un-communitive you can be to customers....that's what gets you the promotions!
One manager/ shift thingy doesn't know what a smile is or what a positive tone in her voice sounds like and look at her - she's a bloody manager!

Last edited:

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
MissMacbeth, i totally agree with you, i work there too and the only thing that keeps me there is the fact that I have finacial commitments. The night fillers are probably the most unappreciated workers in kmart. They dont bother to leave the radio or air conditioning on when they leave us to fill the shelves.
If anything goes wrong we are the ones who get the blame even though it is very rarely our fault.

On a personal level, I get called in last minute aswell. The rosters are never evenly distributed to all workers... (luckily the past few months i have been getting the better shifts). 7 people have left the night fill job since March.... SEVEN!!!

We have a new boss every 6 months who tries to change everything and the new boss totally humilates the staff infront of everybody... Women are unfairly treated... I COULD GO ON AND ON

these type of jobs suck!
GET AN EDUCATION PEOPLE!!!!

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
Originally posted by MissMacbeth
ok, who here actually is finding a job and getting it easily?
me

last yr got offered 2 cadetships in accounting within a week. one in north sydney, one near parra. i took the parra one

quit that late last yr , then got another job in auditing with a chartered accounting firm (big 4) a few weeks later. my interviewer said 400 ppl applied for it :D

i been to 3 interviews and been offered 3 positions :D
100% success rate!

edit: i duno wen they offer cadetships. ur gona hv to make a few calls to firms n find out.

Last edited:

Ribbon

I got the second job I applied for on resume and interview. I don't know how or why I got it, I think I was just the right person at the right time... I was the only person who got interviewed and I got the impression 5 minutes into it that I was pretty much hired before I showed up and the interview was just to check that I wasn't a total freak! Actually, it was more like showing me around the office than an interview...

The job pays over $20 p/h its a great, friendly and relaxed environment. I have a few assigned tasks and the rest of the time I can so whatever I choose to do, so long as it is something that needs doing (at the moment I am teaching myself html to redo the companies website which is just a single white page with writing at the mo). One day I spent the whole afternoon after lunch shopping for office furniture... including a 45min stop at a bakerie for hot chocolate... which the business paid for!

Apparently there were over 100 enquires for that particular job... and I have no idea what I said or did to stand out... moral to this storey is keep trying and eventually something will fall into your lap :)

Only trouble is now I am trying to find a job for uni holidays (because I can only get 1 day a week at this job) and am having trouble because no one wants to hire people only for the holidays :(

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i got my current job with no experience whatsoever... i think its just about how you come across to the employer.. i also think internet applications ar ebullshit, unless its a big employer like coles myer, you'd be better off going places face to face and asking them if they have any positions available or whatever.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Four years ago I put in an application form at the local Coles supermarket with no prior employment experience. One week later I was called for an aptitude test and then later that week my referee was questioned and I was invited in for the induction. I am still there (but, 4 years demonstrates 'commitment', not just a rut :p). Heh I only created my first proper resume at the end of last year, too.

Ribbon

I think businessess like coles are are right time kindof deal. If they need to hire people they will generally take whoever rocks up and asks for a job...

I used to work at Bi-Lo supermarket and got the job there with no prior experience, and wasn't required to submit a resume, just fill out a form. I think though if they have a lot of applications they will sift through and pick out the ones with experience...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)