Who's afraid of Virgina Woolf? (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
Now showing at the Company B Belvoir :)
Anyone seen it, planning to see it
I'm going tomorrow, cant wait.
love this play

Reviews anyone?

jazzmuzik

HSC
Just got home from seeing it,
really great! :) i love the play anyway because we studied it in year 11 and watched a few versions. If your a fan of the play i'd highly reccomend it. It was long, about 3.5hrs, with a 20min after the 2nd Act. (Its in 3 Acts) The set concept in many ways made the show and contributed to the shifts in relationship throughout the play, glass walls etc, and represented a "high rise apartment" style living unlike the daggy old college house in the play. I Wont give it away but lets just say the set is a mess by the end!
Martin Csokas: who plays George is fantastic, (if not a little too young for the role) a lot like Richard Burton in the film version, his dry character is executed fantastically and he pulls of a great voice/accent. Similarly Robin Mcleavy (Martha) is great, but perhaps too young, she represents a more wiry, seductress than the "volumptous"martha of the play or even elizabeth Taylor, but completely belivable. The young Nick and Honey also did a great job, Particularly a Great understated performance from Catherine Mclements (Honey) as well as her drunken behaviour, yet Simon Stone (Nick) did seem a little in the deep end, maybe a bit inexperienced for a complex role such as this. But nonetheless they made a great team.

Highly recommended, but if you dont know the play maybe read up a little first in order to fully appreciate the action :)

thoughts anyone?

Vorn Rotson

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

Love the show...

It goes until Sunday September 16th, but apparently the tickets are selling fast. Get in quickly!

Also, just to clarify jazzmusik - Catherine McClements (Water Rats, The Secret Life of Us) is playing Martha, and Robin McCleavy (Holding the Man, 48 Shades) is playing Honey.

Tuesday nights are under 27 night - $32 (subject to availability), show starts at 6.30pm on Tuesdays, and tickets are available from 10am.

More info here: www.belvoir.com.au

Enjoy!

SpunkT

HSC
:) I LOVED IT.

i got myself a copy of the play back in 2005 as i was book shopping in sydney before a long trip home.

So i read it, and man, i loved it. I am a big fan of absurdist theatre in general, so this play, that has certain themes and conventions which just scream ABSURDIST - quickly becamse a favourite.

But it was more than that, i just loved the issues and concepts it addressed, i think Albee, is not only a fantastic writer but an interesting interpreter of human existance and virginia woolf-ian theory.

So, last weekend, on the 14th of September i went to Belvoir and saw the production had to be the best performance i have ever seen in my life. I loved it. The play was so powerful, it had been designed to grate against you in this awkward way, that just emphasised the complexities and dark nature of the issues.

I definitely would see it again in a heart beat :)

- thats todd's two cents and thats me - over and out

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
SpunkT said:
So i read it, and man, i loved it. I am a big fan of absurdist theatre in general, so this play, that has certain themes and conventions which just scream ABSURDIST - quickly becamse a favourite. )
more two old bats mind-fucking their guests and each other than absurdism.

but i agree with the rest, its a pretty fantastic play.

anyone know if the tickets are sold out?

S

Shiv.

I want to see it really bad it sounds awesome.

I know this may sound dumb but does i actually have anything literally to do with Virginia Woolf?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Our class simple ran out of time, so we never got to see it.

Oh, to the post above: No, It has very little to do with Virginia Woolf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)