• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who's failing the external Maths Ext 2 exam? (1 Viewer)

mathslover

HSC
?

i think i am..
since there are only 2 people in my class, it means that my external mark will BE my hsc mark.. and its not looking good.

i attempted a past HSC paper.. got 44/120... fail much?
i dont know how much i can improve in the next two weeks.. will just keep working at it and practising i guess..
anyone else doing as bad as me??!!!
any advice on how i can improve?
suppose i do fail that terribly in the actual exam, will i get scaled down horribly, or will it still scale up??

someone please help me and/or share their thoughts... :(:(

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Who's failing the external Maths Ext 2 exam?

scales up, its ridiculous how much 4unit scales.

but to improve, i can send you a complete summary of the 4unit course where you can read it and then try to attempt the questions. (just pm me your email/msn)

in relation to actually doing the questions past 5 though, i can't help you with that - it's practice practice practice

morgoe

HSC
Re: 回复: Who's failing the external Maths Ext 2 exam?

The last questions always suck. Do as many past papers as you can because often the same questions will pop up in the first 2 or 3 questions and then you can get through them really quickly, leaving more time for the harder questions. I finished my entire trial paper in 2 hrs 20 mins, then spent 40 mins going back over some of the harder questions (probly only got like 2 more right though..they get pretty impossible ><)

I did one HSC paper where I got like 60-70/120, cant remember the exact mark. Took it to my maths tutor and he had a sheet of what scaled to what mark. That 60-70/120 which is just over 50% scaled to a ~95/100.

vds700

HSC
mathslover said:
?

i think i am..
since there are only 2 people in my class, it means that my external mark will BE my hsc mark.. and its not looking good.

i attempted a past HSC paper.. got 44/120... fail much?
i dont know how much i can improve in the next two weeks.. will just keep working at it and practising i guess..
anyone else doing as bad as me??!!!
any advice on how i can improve?
suppose i do fail that terribly in the actual exam, will i get scaled down horribly, or will it still scale up??

someone please help me and/or share their thoughts... :(:(
Dont be too disheartened. It may have been a really hard paper u did (what year was it btw?)

My advice is just do as many past HSC papers as u can before the 4u exam., you'll improve that way. Though, dont forget 3unit and your other subjects, study those too

friction

HSC

morgoe said:
The last questions always suck. Do as many past papers as you can because often the same questions will pop up in the first 2 or 3 questions and then you can get through them really quickly, leaving more time for the harder questions. I finished my entire trial paper in 2 hrs 20 mins, then spent 40 mins going back over some of the harder questions (probly only got like 2 more right though..they get pretty impossible ><)

I did one HSC paper where I got like 60-70/120, cant remember the exact mark. Took it to my maths tutor and he had a sheet of what scaled to what mark. That 60-70/120 which is just over 50% scaled to a ~95/100.
I think its closer to 60 - 65% is a 90/100. 95 you will need 80-85%.

50% going to 95 is just stupid its not gonna happen.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC

Mm what do you mean?
Your external mark is what you get from the HSC
And since we all haven't done it yet, how do you know that you're failing?
I think you mean the internal mark

Yea like what others say, just keep practising
Aim to do the first 4 questions well
Then move onto 5, then 6
And then the uber hard questions if you're bothered

cccclaire

HSC
Yeh I'm pretty rubbish at 4u too.

My technique is to try and pretty much get Q1-5 out, try to mostly get Q6 and then for Q7 and Q8 just try and grab as many easy marks as you can (generally I get about 6 for Q7 and 4 for Q8).

I figure there isn't much point in me trying to get Q7 and Q8 out completely, because they take me way too long.

morgoe

HSC

friction said:
I think its closer to 60 - 65% is a 90/100. 95 you will need 80-85%.

50% going to 95 is just stupid its not gonna happen.
It was an official document..

May have been a hard year, cos I've gone much better than that in other papers.

undalay

HSC

morgoe said:

no.

and to OP, yes u will get scaled down.

samwell

HSC

My technique has been do qsn 1-6 as quickly as possible. roughly 2 hrs then i have alot of time to think for the last 2. Qsn 7 and 8 are the hardest in most hsc papers and so if u get them right who knows where ua mark might shoot up to.

friction

HSC

morgoe said:

Link ??

If it is that gold because im getting like 100/120.

friction

HSC

Yea i usually get the first 4 out in the first hour leaving me 2 hours for the last 4.

hopethisworks

Banned
North Manly Beach Sexual Preference: Centaur Bans
HSC
N/A

tommykins said:

but to improve, i can send you a complete summary of the 4unit course where you can read it and then try to attempt the questions. (just pm me your email/msn)

in relation to actually doing the questions past 5 though, i can't help you with that - it's practice practice practice
no it dosent.

not NEARLY as much as you think.

mathslover

HSC
vds700 said:
Dont be too disheartened. It may have been a really hard paper u did (what year was it btw?)

My advice is just do as many past HSC papers as u can before the 4u exam., you'll improve that way. Though, dont forget 3unit and your other subjects, study those too
thanks. it was the 2004 paper. i doubt ill improve in this short amt of time, esp since im ignoring 4u the most as i hate it so much. i really think im not smart enuf for this sub, and that i shouldnt have taken it, but ive my rents have pd heaps for tuition and its too late to drop it now.
not doin too well in 3u either.. am gettin arnd 50/84 for the past 2 pprs i did.. how much should a 4u person be aiming to get in 3u? cz 50/84 is jus sad IMO.
yup im gonna concentrate on my other subs and just do the best i can with 4u with the amt of time i have

mathslover

HSC

ronnknee said:
Mm what do you mean?
Your external mark is what you get from the HSC
And since we all haven't done it yet, how do you know that you're failing?
I think you mean the internal mark

Yea like what others say, just keep practising
Aim to do the first 4 questions well
Then move onto 5, then 6
And then the uber hard questions if you're bothered
i mean im failing the past papers im doing... so will most prob fail the real thing.
well u know how ur rank determines ur internal marks? since im coming 2nd, and will most prob come 2nd in the external, my internal mark will become my external mark so my overalll mark will be my external mark,,gah hard to explain i suk at explaining it.
either way, im in a bit of a pickle

mathslover

HSC

tommykins said:

i highly doubt a 44 out of 120 would scale up ! its like 35%.
i will aim to pass i rekn.
i dnt think notes will help me at this pt in time.. do u think it will help? i dont think i will evr be able to answer a mech Q lol:angry:

proringz

HSC
A bit of irony since your username is 'mathslover'

mathslover

HSC
proringz said:
A bit of irony since your username is 'mathslover'
lol yup i jus noticed that too..
thats from year 11 when i used to "love" maths.. whereas now i despise it - attributable to e2.

Xealot

HSC
Keep in mind that you are not a HSC marker, and when they mark, it is not just a case of right or wrong, you get partial marks for working and demonstrating that you understand concepts. When I did the HSC in 2002 I did maybe half the paper and ended up with a mark of 87. Keep practicing and don't lose hope :)

mathslover

HSC
Xealot said:
Keep in mind that you are not a HSC marker, and when they mark, it is not just a case of right or wrong, you get partial marks for working and demonstrating that you understand concepts. When I did the HSC in 2002 I did maybe half the paper and ended up with a mark of 87. Keep practicing and don't lose hope :)
had u thought u had got 1/2 the paper right, or did u only attempt 1/2 of the paper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)