Who's failing the external Maths Ext 2 exam? (1 Viewer)

friction

HSC
adnan91 said:
A mark of ~72% will scale to ~90%. Theres no way a 65/120 will scale to 95%
72% scales to 90 in Ext 1. Ext 2 will no doubt be better then ext 1. But i believe about 65% will get you a 90 so about 80% will get you a 95.

Also Ext 2 scales up no matter what mark you get. HSC marks are given from 50-100 only people that get 50 are no attempts or virtual no attemps. So you cant fail. 1 week ago i was getting 60% on papers and now im getting 85% on papers so drastic improvements are possible. Although i went from doing nothing to studying 8hrs a day on maths (2 ext 2 papers 1 ext 1 paper). But the point is still there you can improve plenty.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Re: 回复: Who's failing the external Maths Ext 2 exam?

hopethisworks said:
no it dosent.

not NEARLY as much as you think.
Average scaled aggregate of 4unit was around 43.5/50 last year, the HIGHEST SCALING SUBJECT.

A mid to high band 6 in general math was only barely equal to a below average in 4unit.

Animals said:
Wow man, that's a little TOO nice of you. Ulterior motive much?
Yeah cause I totally want to get in her pants or something.

mathslover said:
i highly doubt a 44 out of 120 would scale up ! its like 35%.
i will aim to pass i rekn.
i dnt think notes will help me at this pt in time.. do u think it will help? i dont think i will evr be able to answer a mech Q lol:angry:
It should scale up to a 60-70, scaling isn't linear.

And if you want to give up just like that, fine with me.

mathslover

HSC

tommykins said:
And if you want to give up just like that, fine with me.
im not giving up.
i just had tuition, twas a major wake-up call. im actually getting around 57/84 for ext 1.. and with ext 2 i have to work SO hard now to improve my marks.
thanks for all the tips. esp friction, that is very encouraging :)
yeah ill pm u my email tommykins, i guess looking at the notes mite help thanks :)

conics2008

HSC

Hey relax first of all, stop stressing.

step 1) grap a topic by topic book (phonix i think ) and read the summary of all the formulas and BASICALLY learn the methods to solving questions related to any chapters..

step 2) go through a run down on graphs, make sure you know what to apply iin every situation. complex know your formulas and tech, and prety much work through otu the chapters..

step 3) start doing basically question 1 type of question.. ie grab some past papers, and just attempt at doing question 1... if you see your self strugglin then just look at the answer but just the first line not the whole thing and then carry on..

reap step 3 with quesiton 2,3 ,4 and 5 and possible 6...

question 7 and 8...

dont see them as hard or anything yeah sometimes they can be quiet hard but over the years they have been making them easy ( dont ask why)

with quetion 7 and 8.. its mainly got to do with your logical thinking..

look at what you are trying to prove and work your way bak... or simple look at the answer and see what is different between what they want and what u have..

soo yeah thats prety much all the tip i can give u

mathslover

HSC

conics2008 said:
Hey relax first of all, stop stressing.

step 1) grap a topic by topic book (phonix i think ) and read the summary of all the formulas and BASICALLY learn the methods to solving questions related to any chapters..

step 2) go through a run down on graphs, make sure you know what to apply iin every situation. complex know your formulas and tech, and prety much work through otu the chapters..

step 3) start doing basically question 1 type of question.. ie grab some past papers, and just attempt at doing question 1... if you see your self strugglin then just look at the answer but just the first line not the whole thing and then carry on..

reap step 3 with quesiton 2,3 ,4 and 5 and possible 6...

question 7 and 8...

dont see them as hard or anything yeah sometimes they can be quiet hard but over the years they have been making them easy ( dont ask why)

with quetion 7 and 8.. its mainly got to do with your logical thinking..

look at what you are trying to prove and work your way bak... or simple look at the answer and see what is different between what they want and what u have..

soo yeah thats prety much all the tip i can give u
thanks so much, that helps a lot :)

mick135

HSC
mathslover said:
?

i think i am..
since there are only 2 people in my class, it means that my external mark will BE my hsc mark.. and its not looking good.

i attempted a past HSC paper.. got 44/120... fail much?
i dont know how much i can improve in the next two weeks.. will just keep working at it and practising i guess..
anyone else doing as bad as me??!!!
any advice on how i can improve?
suppose i do fail that terribly in the actual exam, will i get scaled down horribly, or will it still scale up??

someone please help me and/or share their thoughts... :(:(
I'm as crap as you if not worse, but approach it mathematically dude *wink wink*
ext 2 is possible to pass, infact - 60% or just above will scale to a high ban 5 or possible ban 6. So answer the questions you can - correctly
think about it - theres normally a whole question on graphs and more than a 12 marks on complex numbers (easy for ext 2). the tolken conics drawing is always an easy few marks as well. Infact, the first 4-5 questions are meant to be easy marks. Integration is a croud favourite - quick 20 marks if your good
That yucky mechanics stuff, is usually one sub-part to a question, not even 12 marks and i don't feel that bad missing it haha
volumes is normally just one high mark question - again easy marks.
and... wait for it... 3 unit topics are massive part of it as well. My trial had 25% 3 unit. If you ace the three unit part, you will not only be looking to pass ext 2 and get a high mark, but your in good stead for you ext 1 paper 2 days later.

I'm not saying do what i do, but i'm going to learn the stuff i can really well - and hope i will be tested on that more than the stuff i can't do.
But what i am saying, your not alone - i topped my 3 person class of ext 2 and got around mid 40's for ext 2 in my trial, but we can pass ext 2 and get a good mark :D

mathslover

HSC
does anyone know what band a raw 60/120 would give? or wat average scaled mark it would give? for the past 2 papers i did im getting 57-61 out of 120.. that would scale a bit, right?
what raw mark do u need to get to get the highest band?

conics2008

HSC
how do u determine what raw marks is needed to reach a certain band ??

or do you just guess ?

mathslover

HSC
conics2008 said:
how do u determine what raw marks is needed to reach a certain band ??

or do you just guess ?
people look at stats from past years i think... but i dont know where u get them from.

mathslover

HSC
mathslover said:
does anyone know what band a raw 60/120 would give? or wat average scaled mark it would give? for the past 2 papers i did im getting 57-61 out of 120.. that would scale a bit, right?
what raw mark do u need to get to get the highest band?

friction

HSC
Ext 2 they havent given out raw marks for a long time but i guess 50% would go maybe to about 80%. About 65% will be needed for an E4 seen as though in Ext 1 its about 70%.

35% of the state got an e4 last year. So 1 in 3 get it.

ronnknee

Live to eat
HSC
Mm what text books are you using at the moment?

I suggest that you improve the basics
ie. Complex numbers, Polynomials, Graphing and Integration at least
They make up most of the marks in the first four questions

What I'd do normally is, go through my Cambridge textbook
Try to do a few questions of the start, middle and end of each exercise
And then the review questions at the end
Go for challenge if you're comfortable

Now I'm past that stage, I just go straight to Terry Lee and past papers

mathslover

HSC
ronnknee said:
Mm what text books are you using at the moment?

I suggest that you improve the basics
ie. Complex numbers, Polynomials, Graphing and Integration at least
They make up most of the marks in the first four questions

What I'd do normally is, go through my Cambridge textbook
Try to do a few questions of the start, middle and end of each exercise
And then the review questions at the end
Go for challenge if you're comfortable

Now I'm past that stage, I just go straight to Terry Lee and past papers
im not doing textbook ex anymore, just past papers.
im pretty ok with Qs 1,2,3 in the papers-namely integration complex and graphs. Poly is okay too.. its just Q4/5 onwards that i struggle with.

thanks for the suggestions:eek:

tom101007

HSC
the way my maths teacher puts it is, if your doing 4 unit your already in the top 10% of the state, and this exam simply separates the top 10%, so its supposed to be really hard, and it moderates and scales well because it is a course aimed at the top 10%

Andredj

HSC
Yeah I am not doing to good either, I only got 54% trials but got 64% (everyone also got scaled 10%) because everyone failed (one guy was border). My average is 61% hope it gets propped upto 85%. What I dont't get is why you guys that get 90 and 80 raw in 4u bother trying so hard, when you compare the relative input needed for the end result.

My aims for the for the HSC
English 80 (school 78), Maths 3U 95 (school 92) Maths 4U 65 raw (school 61) Economics 90 (School 84) Modern History 90 (School 85)

Last edited by a moderator:

u-borat

Banned
HSC
because theres a big difference between an aligned low e4 and an aligned high e4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)