Whos going to UNSW, that lives in west sydney. (1 Viewer)

yoshi

Originally posted by Winston
lol... how's computers there, you're doing comp sci at UNSW right yoshi? but from the looks of things is it better than comp sci at USYD =\
I'm doing software engineering at UNSW, yep :). The comps are great. You will always be able to find a computer (there are plenty of computer labs) and it's all run very well.

yoshi

And if you guys are comparing the student systems of UNSW and USYD, I can honestly say that UNSW shits all over USYD.
My gf goes to USYD and the shit they put up with is unbelievable for a computer-based enrolment system. They only find out their timetable the same week they start uni. She also complains often about disorganisation amongst the higher staff there (in the nursing faculty).

yoshi

For anyone that's stressing about their choice of uni because of transport issues - don't. You might have to struggle for a little while with public transport, but a lot can change in your first year and you might even move, get a car, or whatever!

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Travelling is the factor that is restricting me from going to UNSW...commerce is better there, but USyd is closer :( :confused:

Huy

HSC
N/A
perfectionist: You're closer to UNSW than I am, but I'm planning on going to UNSW (at least, that's what I think I'm doing, right now).

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Yeah, i really have to look into this like "seriously" i mean i think i have been too non-serious about it...
so i reckon advisory days will help me decide if i want to go to UNSW or not, thats what i wanted to do before but everyone around me keeps saying.."it's tooo far away"
Also...i don't 'feel' like Usyd b'cos someone, i don't want to see is gonna be there....too much competition like school again.. :confused: sorry i know this is extremly silly. :(

but yeah then again, it's gonna be good.."competition" :D

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by perfectionist
i don't 'feel' like Usyd b'cos someone, i don't want to see is gonna be there....
No it's not silly, I hear you.

I spent 2-4am this morning going through the UAC guide, twice. I went through every course cut-off (2003), and I then went onto read the course descriptions (further on in the UAC guide). From UNSW to USYD to UTS, I read them twice over.

That was my 'serious' consideration(s). Yep, advisory and information days will help you focus and will influence (hopefully) your decision. All of the universities are far, in my opinion -- because of where I'm located (western Sydney).

If you really want to go to the University of Sydney, don't let anybody stop you (or prevent you) from going -- chances are, you won't be seeing 'that' person, and even if you do, it wouldn't be so bad, would it? :)

Competition will always be there, if not through someone you know (this is not 'extremely silly').

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
I didn't look through the UAC book like you, in detail, may be b'cos i have already decided on commerce, so i just looked at other business related courses, so may be its fine, and i hope i like it in uni, b'cos i liked business studies at school.

well yeah...i hope i don't see that person in uni u know, cuz apparently that person wants to do the same course as me, i don't know where that came from, but yeah its upto everyone what they pick.

May be UNSW ain't that far.
Another thing is getting in due to high cut-off for commerce, which are very unpredictable.

despite it's good reputation about its technology or whatever, i have heard that people there (the staff) is not very helping.

Is this true...i mean a current Unsw student can prolly answer this.

:)

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
perfectionist,

Maybe that person is reading your post, right now! :eek:

UNSW isn't too far, as long as you're willing to travel.

I have a sibling who's on the UNSW Staff, but he doesn't lecture or anything. :p -- I think he's helpful, but family members are always biased towards one another. ;)

sunny

meh.
HSC
despite it's good reputation about its technology or whatever, i have heard that people there (the staff) is not very helping.

Is this true...i mean a current Unsw student can prolly answer this.

:)
Largely from my experience, no. I email some of my lecturers and sometimes they take less than a day to reply - sometimes within minutes during exam/assignment periods. Tutors are always happy to help if you see them - its why they signed up to be tutors.

If you get ignored (especially in first year, which is very unlikely), you've either contacted the wrong person, who sometimes refers you to the right people, or you've got them at the wrong time.

But of course I can't speak for every staff member at UNSW - neither can any student say for sure about any other uni. There are always some imperfect staff that don't care much about their students - you will get this at any uni.

Winston

HSC
Well im probably 60% to UNSW and 40% to USYD, as i have just been offered a new proposition from Lazarus :p... he said i get awarded a box of Maze pens from UNSW W00T!!! :p...

Kittycat

HSC
My dad went to UNSW & it took him ages to get there!
I once went there by car & it was hard finding a parking space.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by babydoll_
That's it, I'm going to UNSW for the ID cards
yeah...USyd sux, its like some laminated crap, and u gotta provide ur own photo :rolleyes:

jpr333

HSC
Dam this site is bias towards NSW, its got like 6 forums, Syd barely gets one. Syd U haters :vcross:

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
perfectionist,

Maybe that person is reading your post, right now! :eek:

yeah may be ;)......well yeah i shouldn't care if they go there or not , b'cos i have to concentrate on my uni life. :)

Originally posted by Huy
UNSW isn't too far, as long as you're willing to travel.

yeah, still thinking over it...
u know another thing, a friend of mine in Sydney uni doing the same course, she was like "come to sydney" and the advantage is that i can get her notes :D

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jpr333
Dam this site is bias towards NSW, its got like 6 forums, Syd barely gets one. Syd U haters :vcross:
Who said that? :p
Originally posted by babydoll_
That's it, I'm going to UNSW for the ID cards
I've seen the cards, they look really professional!

*pretends he's working at ASIO or someplace*

Originally posted by Minai
...and u gotta provide ur own photo :rolleyes:
That would suck! There would be no consistency (with the 'type' of image, unless everyone agrees on the Passport sized photo).

Still, it seems like a hassle.
u know another thing, a friend of mine in Sydney uni doing the same course, she was like "come to sydney" and the advantage is that i can get her notes :D
So, you've cheated during the HSC, and you want to do it again for University? :eek:

Hehehe just kidding, that's great news. I'm sure you can use your USYD friend's notes at another uni, say, UNSW? ;)

But then again, there's the whole plagiarism issue, set out in many university handbooks.

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
But then again, there's the whole plagiarism issue, set out in many university handbooks.
nah i meant that i can buy books off her and also ask her about the course...not acctually copy her NOTES that she mader herself, prolly look at them as a guideline or something.

well yeah during the HSC i made my own notes :) b'cos i can't really study from someone else's work..i think most people can't.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Oh I see, sorry perfectionist.

Yep, the books will have notes in them (hopefully), with underlining and so on. Plus they'll come at a cheaper price, compared to RRP.

yoshi

Originally posted by Kittycat
My dad went to UNSW & it took him ages to get there!
I once went there by car & it was hard finding a parking space.
No way! If you try and park right next to the Uni (on High St or thereabouts) then of course there's none there. But 1 min walk from uni there is free all-day parking in the suburbs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)