Votes: 22 44.9%

• Total voters

lucyfitz

HSC
Do you have write it like:

Person 1: Have you read the book?
Person 2: Yes, I liked the theme....
Person 1: Same, but.....
Yep. Our prompt in trials was two students discussing the resonances and dissonances between John Keats poems and Bright Star by Jane Campion. It feels weirdly forced but you kinda just have to be like:
Student 1: "No, I thought "Ode on a Grecian urn" held more themes of mortality. Yes, the composer is considering the age of the urn, but is that all there is to it? Nope, it's definitely a form of self-reflection on his own mortality through the lens of Romanticism."

Last edited:

TeheeCat

HSC
Yep. Our prompt in trials was two students discussing the assonances and dissonances between John Keats poems and Bright Star by Jane Campion. It feels weirdly forced but you kinda just have to be like:
Student 1: "No, I thought "Ode on a Grecian urn" held more themes of mortality. Yes, the composer is considering the age of the urn, but is that all there is to it? Nope, it's definitely a form of self-reflection on his own mortality through the lens of Romanticism."
Whoa...what... That is so unexpected, how did you go in it?

Could you tell me more about the possibility of interview or conversation, like where you heard of it? This is legitimately the first I heard of this.

lucyfitz

HSC
Whoa...what... That is so unexpected, how did you go in it?

Could you tell me more about the possibility of interview or conversation, like where you heard of it? This is legitimately the first I heard of this.
I got 85% and it definitely didn't reflect the "study" I did. That's why I feel like it would be easy lol. We did an interview in prelims as well for King Lear, pretty sure for that one they give you a prompt similar to a radio host with Shakespeare, or a critic or something. It's pretty stupid. I just feel like they'll take advantage of the "textual conversations" and force an interaction between the two texts to be obvious, like a letter from one composer to another. Heard of it through our teachers and a lecture I went to. They might not do it at all, I just have an uncomfortable feeling lol.

karishmaxyo

HSC
Are you guys sure it isn't textual conversations or textual dialogue not a literal conversation or dialogue ?

TeheeCat

HSC
I got 85% and it definitely didn't reflect the "study" I did. That's why I feel like it would be easy lol. We did an interview in prelims as well for King Lear, pretty sure for that one they give you a prompt similar to a radio host with Shakespeare, or a critic or something. It's pretty stupid. I just feel like they'll take advantage of the "textual conversations" and force an interaction between the two texts to be obvious, like a letter from one composer to another. Heard of it through our teachers and a lecture I went to. They might not do it at all, I just have an uncomfortable feeling lol.
It's really admirable that you did well! If it were me, my brain would have short-circuited... I'm used to practising bizarre, specific question e.g. T.S Eliot essay question requiring a specific poem, the need to reference to quote etc... but non essays? I would struggle

It really sucks how this is known from... a lecture. Unless this is mentioned on Nesa's site and i just missed it? But thank you for mentioning this though! at least if they give us it in the HSC, it will minimise my shock lol

lucyfitz

HSC
Are you guys sure it isn't textual conversations or textual dialogue not a literal conversation or dialogue ?
Yeah the module is textual conversations but theoretically all modules for paper 2 could be asked in a non-essay format. It's so unlikely they'll do it for Mod B though, because it's best expressed as an essay. I don't even think it's super likely they'll do it for Mod A since it's the first year. But hey they might.

lucyfitz

HSC
It's really admirable that you did well! If it were me, my brain would have short-circuited... I'm used to practising bizarre, specific question e.g. T.S Eliot essay question requiring a specific poem, the need to reference to quote etc... but non essays? I would struggle

It really sucks how this is known from... a lecture. Unless this is mentioned on Nesa's site and i just missed it? But thank you for mentioning this though! at least if they give us it in the HSC, it will minimise my shock lol
Haha thanks! I'm pretty happy with the mark. Don't think that'll transfer for me in the actual exams hahahahah. But hey I'm sure you'll do great, especially since your atar goal is 90. Can't relate :((( Your other subjects are great too so even if they ask us this and you flunk out in English you'll defs be pulled up from those!!

juusee

HSC
I'm just worried that we'll be getting very specific questions for the modules,
A: I'm doing poetry and only studied the few select poems that I'm going to be using, if they ask for a specific poem then I'm likely screwed.
B: Character specific
C: Non-generic questions will be very hard to tackle because having an extract or quote will greatly limit the topics you can write about. I only have a discursive and a half-baked creative just in case.

johnmiltons

HSC
To this day, I am still not 100% sure on how to write a discursive piece. Like I understand it's more conversational andexplores multiple viewpoints of a topic, but i dont know the expected standards of one (Im the type that needs to see an example to understand, which my teacher hasn't exactly given)
i find a really good way to write a discursive is to pretend you're writing a TEDtalk... i mean that's what's worked for me so far and all the examples my teachers have shown us are just TEDtalks

Hscbuzman

HSC
I would say it is more likely than not that somewhere, in any of the traditional essay sections, we will not get an essay. It will be a "creative essay" most likely in one of the sections. This is for two reasons. A) The new syllabus is moving away from rote learning essays but if they gave us just traditional essays then this goal would fail to be achieved. B) The NESA person who did a lecture at the start of the year 11 for the new syllabus said it could happen with a wink

lucyfitz

HSC
I would say it is more likely than not that somewhere, in any of the traditional essay sections, we will not get an essay. It will be a "creative essay" most likely in one of the sections. This is for two reasons. A) The new syllabus is moving away from rote learning essays but if they gave us just traditional essays then this goal would fail to be achieved. B) The NESA person who did a lecture at the start of the year 11 for the new syllabus said it could happen with a wink
Yep. I doubt they'll do it for the critical study, though. More likely to take a shot with Mod A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)