• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Wht Do I Do??? (2 Viewers)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Acheived UAI 97.35

Effectively 100 at UOW as im a local student. Wollongong looks really nice, seems to have good lectures, recently won awards etc

i can travel teir easily, got a $3000 schoalrship for 1st yr, have all my friends down here

Im interested in B Comm/B Laws or just B Comm at wollongong (can get into either)

obviously i have the marks though to get into commerce at USYD or UNSW which have more established reputations (wouldnt get the double though- but this wouldnt worry me, i would double major in eco/finance)

however i just dont think i can afford and am ready to move away from home at this stage to the city-0 i have no money, no family there.... would i hav to work everyday jsut to pay rent??

should i sacrifice everything just for the higher supposed reputation?

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Yes!

I think that with the slimy nature of business people in general, that mark of USYD on your CV will be of paramount importance. Even if they didn't go there, they wish they could've gone there - so naturally will give that knowing wink etc. While USYD & UMELB ain't no Oxbridge, I think employers take a hell of a lot of notice of a good grade (i.e. Distinction average and above) at either of the two.

I know very very little about UOW but I am sure that it doesn't quite carry the same brand name value.

In any case, if you can afford it (I assume you will be getting YA and RA, because, otherwise, you will need to work your arse off - and I mean literally, hit the streets, maaaan, see if you can pull some clientele), you should definitely go there.

$3,000 is all well and good, but look beyond the immediate short term if you can.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Mind you, then again, being a big academic fish in a small pond may also be fun - ego massage and all that.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
well we all like to think that it's the degree you get, not the cereal box you get it from, that's most important, but harsh reality tends to suggest that for some industries at least, the uni you went to does tend to tinge their view of you as a prospective employee. i'm about as interested as a rock in the kind of field you want to get into, so i don't know what the vibe out in the real world is about uni reputation for commerce/law grads, but it's just something to think about.

however if you're gonna have to sell yourself on oxford st to pay the rent you might as well stay in wollongong. those seedy nights of passionate buttsecks might come back to haunt you one day.

edit: AIDS.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
well we all like to think that it's the degree you get, not the cereal box you get it from, that's most important, but harsh reality tends to suggest that for some industries at least, the uni you went to does tend to tinge their view of you as a prospective employee. i'm about as interested as a rock in the kind of field you want to get into, so i don't know what the vibe out in the real world is about uni reputation for commerce/law grads, but it's just something to think about.

however if you're gonna have to sell yourself on oxford st to pay the rent you might as well stay in wollongong. those seedy nights of passionate buttsecks might come back to haunt you one day.

edit: AIDS.
I think that many a prospective employer will take quite kindly to previous 'buttsecks on Oxford St' experience - I mean, if you can do that, a bit of action in the office stairwell will come naturally, and soon you'll be fucking your way to the top of Goldman Sachs.

Think of it as a cross-curricular unit.

Evilo

HSC
Cookie182 said:
should i sacrifice everything just for the higher supposed reputation?
I once heard this quote from someone i knew

"1st place law at Uni Western Syd is equivelent to a pass at U-Syd"*

Don't know if its true or not, but i spose a reputation could be of some use.

*Dont get all worked up UWS ppl, its not my quote.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
It's not that long by train to sydney if you're worried about costs of living. 3hrs/day if you really wanna, but that's a solid committment thats gonna eat up your life.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:

It is true. My lawyer friend just told me.

loser101

HSC
Evilo said:

B.S

if you got HD in all of your subjects, then you would get so many job offers its not funny.

I am here!

HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
B.S

if you got HD in all of your subjects, then you would get so many job offers its not funny.
Well, I'm sure UWS don't give out H.D.s to trash even if it is, comparatively, a work of genius. And if they do, I am sure the employers will be able to see through the 'B.S.' sooner or later.

You lose. :p

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
According to the Council of Australian Law Deans website, Australia currently has 30 law schools (according to the article I posted above which was published mid-2007, there were only 29 back then).

The article listed the top 11 law schools with the most number of law firms hiring from, as well as the bottom 6 law schools from which no top tier firms hired from.

UWS is presumably in the middle of the list somewhere, ie. between 2 to 7 law firms hire(d) from UWS.

Keep in mind that only 14 law firms (although quite a number of which seem to be top tier) responded to the survey. It is quite probable that students from the bottom 6 law schools were hired by law firms that did not respond to the survey (most of which are likely to be mid-tier or smaller law firms), it doesn't mean that students from the bottom 6 law schools were not hired at all.

Last edited:

loser101

HSC
meh i'm sure you'll get picked up by the local firm representing vietnamese druggies at cabramatta. or the local law firm at paramatta representing coconuts who KO's the poor sucker at the local nightclub LOL :hammer:

Evilo

HSC
loser101 said:
B.S

My mate got academic application awards all through school where I got nothing. He has to ask me how to spell words like “western”. He’s now working (and yes he got plenty of job offers) in a dead end mindless cleaning job. Sure he got a job straight out of school, yes it pays Very well. But his pay won't ever go up, ever. I completed my hsc and i'm currently studying for a BSc. Who is more successful? What about in the long term?

Face it, UWS didn't even make the worlds top 200 universities.
ANU - 16th in world
Melb - 22nd
SydUni =35th
UNSW = 41
Macq =82

Source: The times higher education suppliment 2006

jannny

HSC
Musk got angry coz UTS wasnt on the list! lol :DD

Musk I'll make a new list for you.. This one its based on me

UTS - 3rd in world
UWS - 4th in world
ANU - 16th in world
Melb - 22nd
SydUni = 200
UNSW = 41
Macq =82

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)