why anu? (1 Viewer)

jas0nt

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
460
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
ambrose1 said:
so is there a way of finding out how many or at least getting a general idea of how many people applied for either a university or a particular course and then based on the fact that the number of places will stay the same knowing what direction the UAI will change. if i rang ANU admissions and asked them how many people have applied for a particular course would they give me an answer? I doubt it. Thanx anyway.
what course are you applying for? i could give you a pretty damn accurate prediction because ANU's scores tend to be pretty static.

also the popularity of some degrees can range from 10 (maybe something shitty like B Archeological Practice) applicants to 700 (B Comm).
 

ambrose1

New Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
20
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
i'm want to get into commerce/economics, but commerce or economics straight would be good enough.
i'm a bit sceptical of your claim that the UAI's are static cos they went down by about 8 points from the previos year. however you may have inside information and i really hope that you're right. 75 seems ridiculously low for a top uni.
thanx for ur help.
 

Evilo

Active Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
1,617
Location
NA
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
I think my mate does that course, ill ask him when he comes online for last years UAI.
 

Evilo

Active Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
1,617
Location
NA
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
he said 75 was the uai last year, but hes heard "rumours" of it going up to 83. I would call up anu and ask out-right. See if they can give you an answer.

He also said they base the uai for a combined degree on the highest UAI of the two (if that makes sense)
Sorry i cant help any more than that.
 

jas0nt

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
460
Gender
Male
HSC
N/A
ambrose1 said:
i'm want to get into commerce/economics, but commerce or economics straight would be good enough.
i'm a bit sceptical of your claim that the UAI's are static cos they went down by about 8 points from the previos year. however you may have inside information and i really hope that you're right. 75 seems ridiculously low for a top uni.
thanx for ur help.
i'm pretty sure it'll be 75 this year. last year ANU offered guaranteed entry to its courses even before they had any indication of the number of enrolments for the year.
 

EdmondDW

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
109
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
so many top scholars...even I'm form UNSW...I like ANU...
 

xsjado

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
171
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2008
I read somewhere tht cutoffs are getting raised to 85.00.

EDIT: i emailed ANU admin about this but havent had a reply yet..
 
Last edited:

sparkerasp

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
194
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
I really want to go to ANU, but I'm in NSW and I don't know how I'll cope with living in college or just independently. I'll also be leaving all my friends and family behind.:worried:

Nah, just kidding, I have the full support of my parents.

I'm planning to do a Bachelor of Arts in Music and then doing Postgraduate Medicine. Any advice anyone?:)

I didn't really decide on ANU until today, but by instinct, ANU just seems to be perfect for me.

And to ambrose1, the UAI for BCommerce at ANU is still 75.00 according to the 2009 UAC guide
 

Davo1111

Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
601
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
xsjado said:
I read somewhere that cutoffs are getting raised to 85.00.
From what i understand the UAI for 2007 was 75, the UAI for 2008 has not been confirmed yet.

(however that means it has been 75 for 2 years straight)
 

khing

King and Tyrant
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
151
Location
Canberra
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
sparkerasp said:
I really want to go to ANU, but I'm in NSW and I don't know how I'll cope with living in college or just independently. I'll also be leaving all my friends and family behind.:worried:

Nah, just kidding, I have the full support of my parents.

I'm planning to do a Bachelor of Arts in Music and then doing Postgraduate Medicine. Any advice anyone?:)

I didn't really decide on ANU until today, but by instinct, ANU just seems to be perfect for me.

And to ambrose1, the UAI for BCommerce at ANU is still 75.00 according to the 2009 UAC guide
Please check on the prerequisited for postgraduate medicine. You might need to meet some prerequisites in your undergraduate degree before you are allowed to enrol
 

Sammy-Blue

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
487
Location
Canberra
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
khing said:
Please check on the prerequisited for postgraduate medicine. You might need to meet some prerequisites in your undergraduate degree before you are allowed to enrol
x2
 

sparkerasp

Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
194
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Hey people.

I'm in a bit of a big dilemma at the moment (please, no complaining or whinging about how I shouldn't be such an idiot and to start making up my own decisions because I'm torn between two worlds at the moment).

I am currently completing my A.Mus.A piano with my wonderful piano teacher in NSW. The problem is, I don't want to part with her. So, my plan is to drive up to Sydney every Saturday/Sunday (or every second week depending on what suits) for a piano lesson and then drive down again afterwards.

How long does it take for someone to drive from Sydney to Canberra vice versa on the weekends with a 90km/h speed cap? Does anyone think it's worth it?

I really want to go to ANU (it's my hearts desire), but so is my piano teacher (no suggestions about changing piano teachers please). I'm more than happy to make the drive, but do you think I'll snap after a while?

P.S. thinking of taking a course in Commerce, Science or (preferably) Music if that helps with your opinions.
 

Sammy-Blue

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
487
Location
Canberra
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
sparkerasp said:
Hey people.

I'm in a bit of a big dilemma at the moment (please, no complaining or whinging about how I shouldn't be such an idiot and to start making up my own decisions because I'm torn between two worlds at the moment).

I am currently completing my A.Mus.A piano with my wonderful piano teacher in NSW. The problem is, I don't want to part with her. So, my plan is to drive up to Sydney every Saturday/Sunday (or every second week depending on what suits) for a piano lesson and then drive down again afterwards.

How long does it take for someone to drive from Sydney to Canberra vice versa on the weekends with a 90km/h speed cap? Does anyone think it's worth it?

I really want to go to ANU (it's my hearts desire), but so is my piano teacher (no suggestions about changing piano teachers please). I'm more than happy to make the drive, but do you think I'll snap after a while?

P.S. thinking of taking a course in Commerce, Science or (preferably) Music if that helps with your opinions.
You'll get tired of the trip and the costs in about a month. Personally, I'd drop the idea. How long is it going to take you to complete your music program (is that what I should be calling it?) because as long as it isn't years, I'd consider deferring or a mid-year enrolment.
 

khing

King and Tyrant
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
151
Location
Canberra
Gender
Male
HSC
2005
Sammy-Blue said:
You'll get tired of the trip and the costs in about a month. Personally, I'd drop the idea. How long is it going to take you to complete your music program (is that what I should be calling it?) because as long as it isn't years, I'd consider deferring or a mid-year enrolment.
The drive is around 3 hours, and yes I would agree with Sammy-Blue on this one. Costs and tedium will not help you with either programs.

Try exploring other flexibilities alternatives with your current music program, for example intensive lessons during the breaks or perhaps distance learning (audio/video link perhaps?)
 

Davo1111

Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
601
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
330km exactly from ANU to the North Shore. I agree with the above posts - going back every weekend is a big commitment, time and money strain. However i know someone that does it (they taker the greyhound bus) - but i feel it affects their social life at college - an important aspect of the uni experience.
 
H

hilaryv

Guest
1) lower uai cut-offs, thank god.... 2) great international law electives 3) ability to major in development studies in arts.......

hopefully will be there!!!
 

XDXD

New Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
16
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
lol.

+cos its NO.1 IN AUSTRALIA AND THE ASIAN PACIFIC REGION, NO.16 in the world, so HIGH prestige! =D

+low cut off scores (hoping that 94.6 can get me into law anyways)

=D
 

XDXD

New Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2008
Messages
16
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
this year it'll be a maybe :(

95.5 to get into law.
"maybe", is there really any chances to make the cut? =/
well, i wont be in anu this year anyways, it's 2011 for me =D
haha

well my other offers are:
UWA and Monash, B of Commerce/Arts

I SAY REJECT!

ANU ALL THE WAY! =P
 

slab

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2010
Messages
56
Gender
Male
HSC
1998
^.

Most people prefer UNSW or whatever.
My reasons are similiar to ziff's, etc. Now you guys post.

Edit: sorry I meant ANU my other hand was preoccupied with a stack of books ready to fall onto the ground.
Edit edit: lol I suck editted now


why do u have a little BOS symbol next to ur name OP?
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top