Why are esters good solvents? (1 Viewer)

1981Grant

HSC
Not all esters are good solvents. The reason why esters can be good solvents though is that they are able to dissolve organic liquids. Ones that are solvents have generally less than 6 carbons and are good solvents because of their polar nature.

Does this help?

nichorowitz

HSC
Not all esters are good solvents. The reason why esters can be good solvents though is that they are able to dissolve organic liquids. Ones that are solvents have generally less than 6 carbons and are good solvents because of their polar nature.

Does this help?
sorry, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
i understand the polarity coming from the central electronegative oxygens but why would this dissolve organic (i.e. non polar) liquids

b3kh1t

HSC
sorry, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
i understand the polarity coming from the central electronegative oxygens but why would this dissolve organic (i.e. non polar) liquids
If you look at the structure of an ester, not the small ones but a long one, do you see how the oxygens are surrounded by non-polar long hydrocarbon chains?? this is what allows it to dissolve non-polar molecules as the long chain on either side neutralises the polarity caused by the oxygen.

1981Grant

HSC
If you look at the structure of an ester, not the small ones but a long one, do you see how the oxygens are surrounded by non-polar long hydrocarbon chains?? this is what allows it to dissolve non-polar molecules as the long chain on either side neutralises the polarity caused by the oxygen.
^This.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)