Why are sciences and mathematics scaled so well? (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
Well, this is the exact reason, why I am against the scaling system, it is not a fair system, to hell with it I say.:) and where is the Anti-Descrimination Act of 1977 (cth) when you need it.
Inadequate it might be, but the scaling system is less discriminatory than your proposal to only do a narrow range of core subjects

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Well, this is the exact reason, why I am against the scaling system, it is not a fair system, to hell with it I say.:) and where is the Anti-Descrimination Act of 1977 (cth) when you need it.
If you truly feel that way, go get an IB instead of an ATAR and you'll be able to do "easy" subjects and still get a high mark.

Freakstyler09

HSC
That actually disadvantages them because they're forced to subjects that they're most likely going to do horribly in. Sure everyone is in the same boat, but everyone in the current system has to do english anyway so by your argument the "asians or indians" get dragged back and there is a fairer playing field.
Not to mention the fact that lots of students will not be able to extra subjects that might help them with their desired uni courses in uni.

Scaling is used so there's a fair playing filed which allows people to do subjects that they enjoy/are good at.
Nah Anna, you're completely wrong, even though some maths students may be disadvantaged in english or some English Students may be disadvantaged in Maths, they still would be pulled up by their maths or their English subjects. Whilst to say the people who are not good at maths and English, but who are good at other lowly scaled subjects have a better chance in competing in a fairer system.:)

absorber

HSC
Nah Anna, you're completely wrong, even though some maths students may be disadvantaged in english or some English Students may be disadvantaged in Maths, they still would be pulled up by their maths or their English subjects. Whilst to say the people who are not good at maths and English, but who are good at other lowly scaled subjects have a better chance in competing in a fairer system.:)
The scaling system'd probably also be in place to motivate people to do more difficult subjects which scale better. If scaling was removed, everyone'd just do general maths and other easy subjects, not try, Australia would have a less educated workforce = bad for economy = bad for everything else. The system ain't perfect, but it's the best thing we can really have imo

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
So let me get this straight. You want everyone to do the same subjects ie english, maths, science, history and geography.

All the maths kids would be disadvanataged by english, history and geography whereas all the english kids would only be disavanataged by maths and science. That's an unfair system whereby one side is disavantaged by 3 subjects and the other two.

In short, you want to revert back to the SC system where one could walk into the exams with study and come out with all band 6s. Right...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The scaling system'd probably also be in place to motivate people to do more difficult subjects which scale better. If scaling was removed, everyone'd just do general maths and other easy subjects, not try, Australia would have a less educated workforce = bad for economy = bad for everything else. The system ain't perfect, but it's the best thing we can really have imo
+1 and also why QLDs system is an epic fail. All you have to do is go to the crappiest school where they set the easiest assessments and choose the baby subjects. You'll get an OP of 1-3 doing that! ^_^

Freakstyler09

HSC
So let me get this straight. You want everyone to do the same subjects ie english, maths, science, history and geography.

All the maths kids would be disadvanataged by english, history and geography whereas all the english kids would only be disavanataged by maths and science. That's an unfair system whereby one side is disavantaged by 3 subjects and the other two.

In short, you want to revert back to the SC system where one could walk into the exams with study and come out with all band 6s. Right...
Geography, let me say doesn't invovle English only, it also involves physics as well.Like air pressure systems, hectopascals etc. So it's not really 3 is it now? :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Geography, let me say doesn't invovle English only, it also involves physics as well.Like air pressure systems, hectopascals etc. So it's not really 3 is it now? :)
I know, i got a 98 for it in my SC (don't ask me how). But the "maths" if you'd call it maths is mimimal - it's mostly extended responses which requires english skills.

But of course, if you still think the scaling system is shoddy then just go do an IB or go to QLD like Aquawhite suggested :p

Freakstyler09

HSC
+1 and also why QLDs system is an epic fail. All you have to do is go to the crappiest school where they set the easiest assessments and choose the baby subjects. You'll get an OP of 1-3 doing that! ^_^
That's not what I am refering to, I am not saying that the system should be made shit easy, I am saying that everybody should do the same subjects in their senior years without the scaling. So all the subjects we have now in Senior schooling i.e. Economics, Maths etc should be done by all students to provide a fair playing ground. That's what I am saying here, not making the system easier so that people who are bludgy get band sixes.:)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I know, i got a 98 for it in my SC (don't ask me how). But the "maths" if you'd call it maths is mimimal - it's mostly extended responses which requires english skills.

But of course, if you still think the scaling system is shoddy then just go do an IB or go to QLD like Aquawhite suggested :p
QLD system = epicest phail ever.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
That's not what I am refering to, I am not saying that the system should be made shit easy, I am saying that everybody should do the same subjects in their senior years without the scaling. So all the subjects we have now in Senior schooling i.e. Economics, Maths etc should be done by all students to provide a fair playing ground. That's what I am saying here, not making the system easier so that people who are bludgy get band sixes.:)
As i've said before:

"So let me get this straight. You want everyone to do the same subjects ie english, maths, science, history and geography.

"

Not only is that a stupid idea but that defeats the purpose of students being able to choose subjects that will help them in tertiary education if they choose to undertake it.

QLD system = epicest phail ever.
Oh how i wish i could rep you. Congrats on your 3rd bar :)

Freakstyler09

HSC

HAHAHA......Do you think so, well I say what a grand example of an Australian you are mate :)...becoz I fight for what I believe in.

banipal753

HSC
I dont see how its fair for some who does 4U maths or chem and someone who does visual arts to have an equivalent system of scaling for their subjects?

shady145

Banned
HSC
Apparently for me as well! Although I do SOR, so that detracts from my "asian aura" (this is actually going to be an ability in games in the future I believe... or in pokemon or something XD lol)
lol. i went away for 1 hr and came back... 3 pages of opinions clashing:mad1: it got boring after the end of the first page lol.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont see how its fair for some who does 4U maths or chem and someone who does visual arts to have an equivalent system of scaling for their subjects?
Then there's the arguement that they are incomparable subjects... as they are totally different world.

lol. i went away for 1 hr and came back... 3 pages of opinions clashing:mad1: it got boring after the end of the first page lol.
I'm refreshing so often. >_< :rofl2:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)