Why can't you combine BSc (Adv Sci) with Commerce??? (1 Viewer)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
As above. Is it because in the general BSc (Adv Sci) degree requires you to do two majors? This seems inconsistent with the combined BSc/BComm degree at Usyd where u can complete 2 majors in each of the degrees in the same time span as UNSW (4yrs).

Also, UNSW has offered a new plan at http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/news/2004/01012005.html

"NEW FOR 2005 - an Advanced Mathematics Plan within the Advanced Science

NEW FOR 2005 - an Advanced Mathematics Plan within the Advanced Science Degree Program (UAC code 429013).

This new plan is by invitation only and restricted to the very top Mathematics students such as those with very high marks in HSC Maths
Extension 2 or with Mathematical Olympiad training.

Students in the Advanced Mathematics Plan are effectively able to design their own degree with few restrictions (but subject to approval). Each
student will have an Academic Mentor who will assist them in planning their studies choosing courses from Mathematics and optionally from most
other disciplines in the University.

For more information contact the Executive Assistant to the Head of School (phone 02 9385 7010) or email maths@unsw.edu.au.

Top Maths students who are not taking Advanced Science may be considered for the Talented Students Program - see more"

Also, I have got the impression that the UNSW Talented Students Program in Maths doesnt seem to do much. Is Affinity the only guy in it? maniacguy? Its all about accelerating isnt it?

Last edited:

kaseita

No, its not because of the need to do 2 majors in Adv.Sci degree (because in the normal Sci degree, your also required to do 2 majors, or 1 major 1 minor)

At UNSW, there are only 2 differences between Adv. Sci and Sci.
1. There are some extra options within Adv. Sci, that you can't do within Sci. (e.g. maths and finance)
2. You automatically do honours for science in your 5th year.

I believe they took it out because if you could do Comm/Adv. Sci, either it would virtually be the same as Comm/Sci (if you didn't choose an extra option), or you would end up virtually doing 2 majors 1 minor (which is alot of work).

I actually applied for this course, but on enrolment day, i was told it had been removed. If i'd known, i would've gone to usyd probably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)