Why did u choose standard english? (1 Viewer)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Isn't the highest ATAR for someone doing standard english this year 99.45 or sumthing?

Pick advanced over standard anyday imo, too hard to get a band 6 in std english... there goes ur all rounder award already.
shady145, I was referring to this... Why is a standard band 6 harder?

iMiraj

HSC
The school forced me to do it because I didn't get a Band 6!!! I got 87!!!! which is so stupid, because a) the SC doesn't matter and b) 87 is not too bad.
stupid school. had to pick up 4unit maths coz of the school
LOL LOL LOL I GOT 57.5 % IN ENGLISH FINAL EXAM OF YEAR 11 AND GOT TO KEEP IT XD

I'm going to do better this year, obv. :D

shady145

Banned
HSC
shady145, I was referring to this... Why is a standard band 6 harder?
okay... im not sure if they mark easier in std compared to advanced... but the only disadvantage is the aligning process... std aligns slightly less than advanced... however std could be marked easier... if so it would take around the same effort to get a band 6 in both... as many have said before, students capable of a band 6 in standard are normally doing one or more of these, advanced/EE1/EE2.
they both scale the same

EDIT: i changed my mind after reading the raw marks for this year released to some people... advanced aligns way better than standard

Last edited:

Lydia_88

HSC
okay... im not sure if they mark easier in std compared to advanced... but the only disadvantage is the aligning process... std aligns slightly less than advanced... however std could be marked easier... if so it would take around the same effort to get a band 6 in both... as many have said before, students capable of a band 6 in standard are normally doing one or more of these, advanced/EE1/EE2.
they both scale the same

EDIT: i changed my mind after reading the raw marks for this year released to some people... advanced aligns way better than advanced
i guess also, a lot of students go into retell in the standard English exam (hence the average band 3) result....

shady145

Banned
HSC
i guess also, a lot of students go into retell in the standard English exam (hence the average band 3) result....
yes very true...
lol i read my post.... "advanced aligns way better than advanced"
XD

DaynaH9

HSC
I HATE standard. They cut me from advance because they said i only try in the topics that interest me, and my level of work is not consistent enough.. I refuse to take this and they may not let me be in the actual class but im getting all the work off my friend and shes going to record the sessions for me to listen to. Plus im doing standard extension work. I will get a band 6 like im capable of and I'LL SHOW THEM ALL WHOS STANDARD!

DaynaH9

HSC
Why does a band 6 in standard english take more effort than a band 6 in advanced english?
It is alot harder because they are different courses apart from the first section. You are taught differently and do not go into as much detail and give you a more simpler or standard understanding of the work rather then advanced... I think anyway

dydx

HSC
the stupid head teacher at my school gave a talk to all english classes about picking standard english and how much the "workload" in year 11 std english was going to be like... thus scaring everyone, and the sc was also our decider in which i got 79 :( which didn't qualify...

Meepo

HSC
the stupid head teacher at my school gave a talk to all english classes about picking standard english and how much the "workload" in year 11 std english was going to be like... thus scaring everyone, and the sc was also our decider in which i got 79 :( which didn't qualify...
what mark was needed to get into eng advance?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Actually, you can ring the BoS and force your school to let you do a subject if you really really really want to do it. Schools can only recommend.

kjerste

HSC
It is alot harder because they are different courses apart from the first section. You are taught differently and do not go into as much detail and give you a more simpler or standard understanding of the work rather then advanced... I think anyway
Yeah, that's right. I remember the standard teachers only gave you a basic structure of a creative story and then they were like, "right, now go write a creative story from it".

Jamez146

HSC
Why does a band 6 in standard english take more effort than a band 6 in advanced english?
My teacher told me they just don't like to give band 6s to standard students as they believe you should be in advanced instead or something like that.

Back on topic, I was thinking for a long time whether I should do standard or advanced and originally I was going to pick standard because I don't like English and I'm not that great at it but I thought what the heck, I was in the top class for year 9 and 10, it would be ridiculous if I wasn't doing advanced. So I thought ok I'll pick advanced and if it's too hard then I can always go down. During my year 11 half-yearlies I got a letter recommending me to move down and so I did not hesitate to move down.

And, is it just me, or does anyone else think the gap in difficulty between 2 unit maths/general maths is much larger than the one between advanced/standard English? Because I find standard hard (but not as much as adv. of course) but I'm coping well in 2 unit maths and noticed that the work they do in general is so much easier. And I always thought I was equally good at both maths and english although maybe now leaning more towards maths.

pewpewroar

HSC
My teacher in year 10 believed that I wouldn't do well in Advanced, even though I was in his top english class, so I did standard. It's alright I suppose, I'm coming equal 2nd at the moment. :uhoh:

dslme

Benevolent Troll
HSC
Even though I have been in advanced since year eight, I chose it because of the amount of bullshit over-analysing by egotistical teachers makes me sick.

The less of it I have to listen to, the happier I am.

Last edited:

party

HSC
my yr 10 teacher said, that i was hopeless in english when i got 17/20 and came 3rd in class. she made me do standard english.

Jamez146

HSC
I never knew that.
Although actually, my teacher was talking about it again and I think it's because standard students don't critically analyse texts and so unless you do critically analyse in your hsc, then you're going to find it hard to get that elusive band 6.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
My teacher told me they just don't like to give band 6s to standard students as they believe you should be in advanced instead or something like that.
They do, but very rarely... like 1 or 2 each year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)