Why do drummers get it so hard? lol (1 Viewer)

HSC
SamuelB said:
You my friend, are clearly not a musician yourself if you believe that convoluted statement to be the truth. All musical instruments are tools, the very word INSTRUMENT implies that. If it is because of the 'percussive' motion required to play the drums that makes them less musical, then you can rule out the piano as an instrument as well. IT USES A HAMMER ACTION TO PRODUCE SOUND. Please, go get a clue before making unfounded generalisations such as the above, as it would appear you are the only tool around here.
Nice come-back, Samuel. To defend myself: 1stly, It's not the percussive action, its the people who produce it, just to clarify. 2ndly, you fail to provide (in your so very witty and satirically acidic remarks) the fundamental distinction between the drums and the piano - namely one is melodic, the other isnt. 3rdly, I only 'rule out' rock-drummers. 4- I am not mistaken when i say that 'Buddy Rich' does not represent the hight of the 'old time' jazz drumming school. And finnally, I congratulate you on using my own witty pun on the word 'tool' against me - it trully is FAR more effective than anything you could think up yourself.

I apologise for the lateness of my reply. I assure you it was the Trial HSC, and not and difficulty in reposting, that kept me away.

Last edited:
HSC
Lauiteedy said:
the drums are the hardest thing to learn unless u have natural tallent... the markers are all stupid anyway and dont like loud noise unless u get a kool guy or woman who loves loud music...... bla bla bla you get it.....
Gee your right! Step over Horowitz - the age of the piano virtuosi is over; ring in the era of the drum-rescital. Drums really DO require SOO much talent! The infinite subtleties of hitting stuff with a stick! The nuance! the Colour! the dynamic range - f to fff!

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
oskarthestudent said:
music 1, eh. Make sure you can spell your name coreectly - that's 50% of the syllabus.
ah ok...one of those ones are we...

HSC
Lauiteedy said:
the drums are the hardest thing to learn unless u have natural tallent... the markers are all stupid anyway and dont like loud noise unless u get a kool guy or woman who loves loud music...... bla bla bla you get it.....
yes thats why your marks are poor: "the examiners are all stupid "(and stuff...).

HSC
Meads said:
ah ok...one of those ones are we...
I have good friends doing music one. The people who do it are not nessecarily stupid - many of them are great performers with weak theory-skills, and some of them should be in music 2 or 3. Im just saying that its a very easy course, and getting a ban 6 in it is not really going to sock it to me for teasing drummers.

Dont take my nastiness too seriously. some nights I put in nasty stuff and think who cares, Ill never meet these people. Other nights i think: jeez what a jerk that guy is - oh! its me!

Last edited:
HSC
Oskarthestudent - You are the most lost "musician" I have ever come across. I agree with everyone DISAGREEING with you. I hope you fail Music.

HSC
petrucci_dude said:
Oskarthestudent - You are the most lost "musician" I have ever come across. I agree with everyone DISAGREEING with you. I hope you fail Music.
I have strong opinions about music, refined taste (but not snobbery - I garuntee I go to a poorer school than you), and recently got full marks in the trial HsC performance (not that school music marks mean anything) - If these things make me 'lost' I'd rather be lost than found.

Really, I have nothing against rockers. I just like to argue with you.

Last edited:
HSC
Why are you talking about marks? I wasn't even on about that!

I basically said that if you are to be a real musician, you would be more open towards things that have everything to do with music. Instead, you close up and believe what you believe and that's it. It's sad, really.

HSC
I'm not closed, just not open thats all. You have to whinge about something. My case is that rocl is just as valid artistically, remember. My only prob. is with poses. You could say they give you a bad name. And stop saying I'm a lost cause to music, Im opposed to that statement. 'Damn damn damn opposed'

ezrin

HSC
im a drummer and im top of the class.... the key is being decent.. and playing to what you know they want to hear

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Another way to be successful in music as a drummer is to be good at more than practical. For instance work on your Viva Voce (Musicology). As it turns out I nailed mine and ended up getting into encore for my Viva.

In retrospect I was whinging about nothing, Im a very proud drummer who got 96 in HSC music :)

Tubmiester

HSC
oskarthestudent said:
Gee your right! Step over Horowitz - the age of the piano virtuosi is over; ring in the era of the drum-rescital. Drums really DO require SOO much talent! The infinite subtleties of hitting stuff with a stick! The nuance! the Colour! the dynamic range - f to fff!
hitting stuff with a stick.......as opposed to pressing keys with your finger....sorry could you please clear this up, I have somwhere along the line failed to see how one would require more talent then the other.

Yours truly,

Tubs

Dragie

HSC
oskarthestudent said:
HA HAAAAA ! sok it to 'im, boyoH~!!!!!!!!!
Drums arent a real instrument, their more like a tool - a special magical kind of tool that requires a tool to use 'em! People say 'whoa man hes such a mad drummer (dude)" - and all it takes is just a lot of random hitting. A drum solo in the jazz era used to mean something - the drummer had to elaborate on ideas, keep the listener interested and STILL maintain the rhythm- now all the drum solos I hear in the middle of rock songs, the rhythm stops, they just hit randomly, fisrt slow then building up to a frenzy of randomly stupid whacks and then eventually the other instruments just sort of flop back in and the 'music' continues!
Don't be mean...drums are my friends :) And it is very musical thank you very much I wont have you dissing my babies

Dragie

HSC
Meads said:
Another way to be successful in music as a drummer is to be good at more than practical. For instance work on your Viva Voce (Musicology). As it turns out I nailed mine and ended up getting into encore for my Viva.

In retrospect I was whinging about nothing, Im a very proud drummer who got 96 in HSC music :)
Damn thats awesome - I've been working heaps on my viva - I've decided on 3 performances and a viva

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)