Why do people hate religion? (1 Viewer)

VollDoggy

HSC
People commonly dont have a religion these days, this thread is for all the athiests, existentialists and people who are religion confused, why don't you have a religion? Religious people? No time? Being pressured by religious people?

When i talk about religion here i mean the relationship with God or Buddah or whatever/whoever people choose to worship, not the whole go to church, get baptised, take communion, get circumcised, have a bar mitzvah, go on a crusade or whatever activities churches tell you to do thats not directly related to a relationship with "the one" as the matrix so nicely puts it

I appologise if this thread offends anyone by not including the one they worship, not in capitals, incorrect spelling etc.

lengy

HSC
Generally I believe there are a few of us that hate the idea of having a religious person enforce their ideas, much like a dictator enforcing their rules, on us through door to door or preaching it. They enforce it through manipulation, threatens us with 'hell' or coerce us with 'salvation', con us with hopes of a better afterlife.

There are also a few of us who greatly dislike religious people because it gives them an excuse to act arrogant and holier than thou. They get benefits from persecution and can claim religious intolerance when the same cannot be claimed for freedom FROM religion.

Also alot of religious followers haven't thought out their choices. They are born to religion, they don't question, they just blindly follow. They wont accept other points of views and just say silly comments like 'God exists' and can't back up that claim. It's frustrating discussing it with them.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
VollDoggy said:
Why do people hate religion?
1. It's irrational.

2. It causes widespread detrimental conflict.

3. It destroys the potential for self-actualisation in the only likely life we have and inhibits people from living their life properly by placing emphasis on the "next" (non-existent) life.

salutes-n-winks

HSC
Why do people hate religion???

I think being religious is healthy?? you've got a different perspective to things and you grow up with different morals and beliefs...to some people they may find your side of the story somewhat interesting...
i've spoken to TOO RELIGIOUS PEOPLE....they refuse to accept the opinions of others and become TOO opinionated...

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
The first, personal reason why I hate it is because it has been forced upon me by family members with absurd and irrational reasons for believing what they believe. The complete disregard for other perspectives has made me angry.

Secondly, as mentioned above I hate it because of the way religious people can rarely make a factual and reasonable argument for the belief in their religion ( "you need to have faith" is absolutely neither). I also think it's stupid to accept the doctrine that has been forced upon you by your family/society, as if it's just a coincidence that the religion you have been raised with is unconditionally right. Not to mention global conflicts etc.

lengy

HSC
That's right dumsum stay out of this cause I know what your response is going to be and it's not going to be constructive.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
lengy said:
That's right dumsum stay out of this cause I know what your response is going to be and it's not going to be constructive.
Harsh words.

You answered the question though, and it's the same answer as I would give to this question. Sadly this thread will just turn into a religious flame war, which is not its purpose.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I use to be religious. I think the most unappealing factor for me was its judgemental attitude towards worldly issues. Everything is always just black and white, right or wrong, never any grey areas. I was sick of being grouped with Christians who can preach tolerance and peace yet cause so much anger and intolerance towards others.

Basically, I was a severely tolerant Christian. I would practice my beliefs and was tolerant and accepting of those who were different to me. But then my religion encouraged me to look superiorly over them, feel the need to save them, identify myself as "different" to them.

Next was the idea of orbiting around a text. Whether or not it was 100% God breathed or not, the nature of reading causes problems. No matter what, you will always have different interpretations as a result of a text. Thou shall not kill means so many different things to people, and it is the most basic of the rules. And people are so willing to believe they are correct. I was sick of this attitude. Religion encourages the mentality of "you're wrong, I'm right".

If I had to believe in a God, he is more merciful than most religious people sort out to be. Its the people and their ignorance. It shades religious people from the more gruesome and more real things in life. So what if your belief makes you feel great inside even through suffering? So what if you find inner peace? Why shade yourself and believe in crap like fate and destiny when a baby will be born in Africa every few seconds and die straight away? Why is it so easy for you religious people to say that's fate as well and God planned it so? Life is so much more complex than that and you can just brush it off with something so insensitive as "God intended it".

I thinking the deciding factor, when I really really tore myself away was when I left my abusive parents. Ideas about fate and destiny really got to me, and I had so many people so freely assert their own opinions about me leaving my parents, whether it was a sin or not, or some crap. Really, if Christianity is truly the most tolerant religion, I have no interest in the rest.

And I think during this long transition of tearing away from religion and Christianity was through visiting this board. I had my opinions. I was able to admit there was no evidence to believe in God but other Christians would embarrass me by saying yes there is, and solid grounding ones too. Christians would come up and just laugh at atheists and say "ha, you're going to hell" as if that would scare atheists off. I hated the miseducation of some religious people, who would assume that those without religion are without morals, or that those without religion are more prone to becoming drug abusers, rapists, murders etc. I identified more with atheists when we work on the basis of logic and reasoning...

For now, I'm not sure. I'm still the searcher. I believe in God from time to time, but I don't let it blind me from the true grittiness of the world. I want to be informed, educated and aware. I don't want to blow it all onto "God intended it". I don't want to see a paralysed man walk again and not ask "how did this happen?" and just say God did it. I don't want to look lowly of others because my beliefs encourage it.

However, I do see value in religion. Quite a bit actually. I think where I stand when it comes to my spirituality is great, because I don't look lowly of anyone, and when I approach anything, any issue, any idea, I first inform myself of it as best as I can before I make an opinion. I make better decisions because I understand that not everything is all right or all wrong. I'm not saying that religion 100% clouds everyone. It clouds me and clouds most people. I like where I am, and if God exists, he'd understand why I choose to be where I am spiritually, as I feel that he'd understand why the intelligent atheist choose to be atheists.

please don't deconstruct my response. keep that to the "Does God Exist" thread... this was quite the personal post

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I lumped both, sorry.

Well my falling out of it involved both :p

yy

HSC
N/A
i don't hate all religions, i only hate theistic religions with revealed texts (that's often contradictary and has no place in a modern world, unless you re-interpret it or just ignore some parts altogether) and people who goes around that proclaims they speak for this god.

lengy

HSC
In most instances I would be like ur_inner_child, but everytime I see a response by one of those silly die hard theists, I get pushed back to being an atheist. It's just easier that way. I tolerate until I'm confronted by intolerants then I'm intolerant.

cheesman

HSC
Why don't people hate aethism?
its damn obvious that the majority of killings have been carried out by non religous people.
ie. Stalin and hitler who killed tens of millions
hitler started world war two, in which 50million ppl died.
then think back to the cultural revolution in china, thats just crazy. soo many hundreds of thousands were illegitmately tortured and killed.
then there is the rwandan genocide in which at least 4.2 million have died as a result.
after taking all this into account and other historical events... which has done worse?
i leave that up to you.

robbie1

HSC
- People like the idea of being their own 'gods'

- People enjoy the idea of doing things without feeling guilty (i.e pre-marital sex, abortion etc)

- People think they are more 'intelligent' than believers because they 'think for themselves'

- Tragic life events...people blame God

- Satan is strong and easily manipulates those who don't believe he exists

- Religion tells some what they don't want to hear (i.e how abortion is murder, life is sacred - people like fucking like rabbits without facing the consequences)

Hmmmm thats all I can think of right now. Now go ahead, laugh, ridicule and mock me. Im waiting :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
cheesman said:
its damn obvious that the majority of killings have been carried out by non religous people.
then think back to the cultural revolution in china, thats just crazy. soo many hundreds of thousands were illegitmately tortured and killed.
then there is the rwandan genocide in which at least 4.2 million have died as a result.
after taking all this into account and other historical events... which has done worse?
i leave that up to you.
I don't know about you but I don't choose whether to be religious or not religious based on who does what.

Also, religious ideals are usually the basis of a religious persons actions. With atheism, there is no *basis* really, so I can hardly defend.

And here we are again. If you're atheist, you're lumped with every other atheist. At least I can say that not all Christians are clouded.

cheesman

HSC
i agree completely rob.
so inner child, my point is, since aethism seems to produce more hate/violence/death than religion why do some still hate and criticise religion? even if there is no basis in aethism, its still aethism that has produced those wrong actions. so again, maybe aethism is worse
sure you may not have done any of that, but if wat you prefer (aethism) produces soo much evil. what makes you want to keep following it?

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
cheesman said:
i leave that up to you.
Probably more people have been killed in the name of the now christian God (who before Jesus obviously wasn't the "christian" God, but same God nonetheless).

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
robbie1 said:
- People like the idea of being their own 'gods'

- People enjoy the idea of doing things without feeling guilty (i.e pre-marital sex, abortion etc)

- People think they are more 'intelligent' than believers because they 'think for themselves'

- Tragic life events...people blame God

- Satan is strong and easily manipulates those who don't believe he exists

- Religion tells some what they don't want to hear (i.e how abortion is murder, life is sacred - people like fucking like rabbits without facing the consequences)

Hmmmm thats all I can think of right now. Now go ahead, laugh, ridicule and mock me. Im waiting :)
None of those reasons are why I personally have no relationship with God.

lengy

HSC
You're the reason people hate religion and I'll gladly send you suffering and watch you beg for God's salvation.

cheesman

HSC
Dumsum said:
Probably more people have been killed in the name of the now christian God (who before Jesus obviously wasn't the "christian" God, but same God nonetheless).
no way. that is very very farfetched and jumping to conclusions.
have a look at history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)