• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why do you read? (1 Viewer)

M.T.T.

HSC
jhakka said:
In defence of authors like Rowling, however, I would like to point out that no matter how overexposed they may be, they also appear to be responsible for a lot of younger kids reading. Just remembering news stories a few years ago, there were a lot of kids who would not read at all before the Harry Potter books became big. Though they might not be the best books out there, they are opening an entire world to what was previously a generation of non-readers, and this is surely nothing to be complained about.
Until the Harry Potter movies came out...

Now, those early Gen Z kids are absorbing Rowling's story through the DVD and the cinema and not through the books - thus their reading capabilities remain insufficient and their imagination unstimulated.

While my parents and I have read the entire series of Harry Potter books, my little sister, aged 13, is very reluctant to read the series. She's read #1 and some of #7 (to see how the series ends). Now she's attempting to read Twilight.

On that note, I must say that the Twilight series has renewed hope for me - but then they made a movie...

ishinova

HSC
I read to escape too. But the book has to be engaging (but I guess that is kind of obvious?) I like reading to see things from a different angle too!

jennieTalia

HSC
I read:
-For the escape factor that it gives my imagination
-To see what all the fuss is about (aka cult fiction)
-To fill up time with something other than the internet, tv etc.
-So that I can learn new things
-Inspiration
-Helps with my own writing
-To see how films are adapted from novels and vice versa
-Because sometimes the written word is just so damn beautiful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)