Why do you study a foreign language? (1 Viewer)

Kiev

HSC
N/A
Ok...this is for Society and Culture but I figured this would be where I'd find all the bilinguals so here goes. I would greatly appreciate it if you could take the time to answer some of these questions:

1. Why do you study a foreign langauge? What motivated you to do it?

2. What do you feel it has given you?

Thanks dudes!!

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Oh cool, some of these things are so much fun to do...

1. In high school I did French and German because I enjoyed both of them. I continued with German till end of Year 10 and did French Cont. for my HSC cos I had a knack for them and languages were a subject I was genuinely interested in, as opposed to the sciences/DT etc. I also enjoyed learning about their respective cultures. Also I did French cos it would enable me to converse with relatives (I have a Vietnamese background).

I'm first year uni and am doing Japanese as a double major, cos you can never know too many foreign languages. I had an interest in its society/culture and also I thought it would complement my degree (Commerce) cos we're in that same Asia-Pacific region, and it might lead to jobs overseas if i'm lucky.

So I guess the motivation includes the fact that, really, LOTE are the only subject I am truly interested in and in which my marks are decent, and also the benefit of having this useful knowledge that will always be helpful in life, maybe even for a career.

2. A life skill really. Knowledge and a talent/ability that will be useful whatever I end up doing in the future, and perhaps (hopefully) I'll be able to use it by working overseas. It's not like other subjects (eg. chem, physics) where you learn the stuff and then rarely use it ever again unless you go into that science field. A foreign language is always useful...

And also knowing a few foreign languages = interesting characteristic, when applying for jobs/social situations etc. And you're able to say personal stuff that others won't understand unless they know the language too, which is always fun, especially for a romance language like French...
----------------------------

Sorry for the essay responses! Good luck with your project.

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
I enjoy it - it gives me the opportunity to think in a different way - to see a little of how the french think, due to the different connotations that are given to words. I like being able to express myself in a different language, and to understand people better. I respect the study of foreign language(s) because it doesn't come easily to me, but with practice I can make myself understood passably in it. I also have some rellies in New Caledonia.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=52682

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Hi Kiev,

There are two threads that have some stuff in it too, with posts responding to your questions (one of mine too, albeit in a bit more fragmented and verbose form!)

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=52682 <-- French
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=12898 <-- German

Like Kazuya, I just like foreign languages. You can never go wrong with them. At first I wanted to do German in year 9, but no-one else did, so I had to make do with French as that was the one everyone wanted. My motivation for learning German was to know the language of my family more than anything. But by learning French by default was a life-changing experience. They're just interesting. The concept of being able to converse with people overseas in their native language is just bewildering. And being able to speak a foreign language, when you are an anglophone, gets you amazing kudos in the anglophone world because it seems that know one DOES... because English is the lingua franca of the world. And so having a second language under your belt is a sign of being cultivated, pseudo-intellectual. Even when you're in High School

A: You do French? You speak it?
B: Yeah...
A: Wow, that's so cool! Say me something in French!

So you become a sense of amazement and this aura decends on you...

If unclear, holler and I will expand ;).

A lot. Learning a language is not only just learning how to use it, but also learning about the culture to which the language forms a part. It's been a very mind-opening experience, learning about different perpsectives of opinion and lifestyles in a country completely different to Australia, and to grapple about the way the French/German/Chinese psyche works. Then comparing our way of thinking with their's and seeing how differently we function, it really makes you grow, become more appreciative of difference...

Cf. Tolerance of Difference :)

Again, if clear as mud, give us a yell.

Bonne chance avec ton PIP.
chepas :D.

Skip

chepas said:
It's been a very mind-opening experience, learning about different perpsectives of opinion and lifestyles in a country completely different to Australia
Totally agree. That's something a lot of people in western society don't understand.

lourai*87

~"*_*"~
HSC
Did compulsory German in years 5& 6 (thats Qld - so here yr 4&5) and liked it a lot. Then changed schools in yr6 doing compulsory French, and found myself coming first in the class after only being at that school for a month. Did french the next year too (year 7, your year 6). THen moved here, did compulsory french in year 8 - i already knew most of the stuff and still really liked it, so i chose it for elective in yr 9&10 and did really well and was learning so much so i decided to do continuers for 11&12...

Skills in another language and a better understanding of how bad Australian grammar is =p A knowledge of another culture and now the desire to travel to France and possibly learn more languages as well.

chepas

HSC
lourai said:
and a better understanding of how bad Australian grammar
Haha c'est ça! It's amazing how much studying a foreign language highlights the disgraceful faults one makes in one's own...

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
I started studying croatian when I was 8, I am now nearly 18 so I guess its 10 years. At first it was my parents that forced me to go while I was in primary school, then when I got to high school it was a personal choice to continue on (and spending Saturdays with my friends was always great). I did Croatian as a subject for the HSC as it seemed logical to continue on with my previous studies, and not only was I learning about the language, but also learning a bit about the history and different cultural practices they have over there. When we were in year 12 we had a couple of talks from the lecturers at MQ about studying Croatian there... so yes I was duped into continuing my studies through doing a Certificate in Languages (Croatian) @ MQ on top of doing my Education degree @ ACU. I think it was moreso to learn about history.. but the subjects I'm doing this year are all about grammar.. which is good because it was not a focus in the hsc. It is also fun going to 2 universities and being able to borrow books from MQ (ACU's library sucks).

Well obviously more of an ability to speak it, more confidence in writing it. Im finding my university studies much more useful though because I have issues with grammar (there are many different ways to say each words.. and they have declinations and things.. I have issues picking the right way to say it) and I am learning how to say things properly and why it should be like that (whereas in the HSC they just corrected it and there was no explanation behind it, and it was all just answering questions from a text). I've also built close relationships with my Croatian friends through studying it.

Kiev

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys...I'll refer to the old ones but keep em coming! really helpfu!

sarahn

HSC
Kiev said:

2. What do you feel it has given you?[/B]
Basically, i picked french for yr9/10 because i got good marks for it in yr7 and 8, but now that im yr12 and can speak it at a fairly proficient level, my somewhat optimistic aim of being able to speak perfect french is what motivates me. Its a really beautiful language, especially when it comes to expressing intangible concepts. Plus its a good change from my other subjects, and isnt especially stressful. Finally, i want to go into dfat, and i figure that a second language will come in handy.

On what it has given me, id say better understanding of english, and the opportunity to go on exchange as i did, which is probably the best thing i have ever done. so basically, its given me new ideas and a better perspective of australian culture.

hope that helps! ;)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Kazuya said:
Oh cool, some of these things are so much fun to do...

1. In high school I did French and German because I enjoyed both of them. I continued with German till end of Year 10 and did French Cont. for my HSC cos I had a knack for them and languages were a subject I was genuinely interested in, as opposed to the sciences/DT etc. I also enjoyed learning about their respective cultures. Also I did French cos it would enable me to converse with relatives (I have a Vietnamese background).

I'm first year uni and am doing Japanese as a double major, cos you can never know too many foreign languages. I had an interest in its society/culture and also I thought it would complement my degree (Commerce) cos we're in that same Asia-Pacific region, and it might lead to jobs overseas if i'm lucky.

So I guess the motivation includes the fact that, really, LOTE are the only subject I am truly interested in and in which my marks are decent, and also the benefit of having this useful knowledge that will always be helpful in life, maybe even for a career.

2. A life skill really. Knowledge and a talent/ability that will be useful whatever I end up doing in the future, and perhaps (hopefully) I'll be able to use it by working overseas. It's not like other subjects (eg. chem, physics) where you learn the stuff and then rarely use it ever again unless you go into that science field. A foreign language is always useful...

And also knowing a few foreign languages = interesting characteristic, when applying for jobs/social situations etc. And you're able to say personal stuff that others won't understand unless they know the language too, which is always fun, especially for a romance language like French...
----------------------------

Sorry for the essay responses! Good luck with your project.
I did French in yrs 7 - 11, first because we had to (compulsory LOTE in yr 7-8) and then because I enjoyed it and wanted to keep on with it in yr 9 and 10...I ended up dropping although my teacher said I had potential. And my oral was good because I come from a Chinese background, land I speak a language and two dialects already - tongue is more flexible or something. I really do love the language, however because I changed schools I ended up earning the same old stuff again...like...three times...and it annoyed me, and when I got to yr 12 I was doing ext 2 english and all this other stuff...and there's also another reason I won't disclose :p It's a beautfiful, beautiful language linguistically, it sounds wonderful, and I do regret not being able to do it anymore, and I did consider doing Arts at uni so I could do French...but like I said, learning the same stuff the fourth time would really grind my nerves!
Well it's given me an insight into this most wonderful culture (I use that word too much), esp French film, and improved my LOTE skills overall - like some people just don't get how sentence structure and things are different in other languages, because they've only ever spoken english, which is sad (not sad sad, but just disappointing; I think they're missing out). And it has helped with my other subjects - Modern because we do Indochina, and Ext 1 eng because we do Ind and Soc, and I did Flaubert as a related text.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Kiev said:

Thanks dudes!!
1. To pick up chicks

2. Not much.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I studied german in year 7 for one term and found it quite interesting. The german teacher at my school is the nicest teacher there is, and she's also excellent at teaching. I never thought about the usefulness of foreign languages when applying for jobs, etc when I first decided to study it, but now I do realise this.

It's always interesting and somewhat fun to be studying a different language. German is characteristically formal in structure, so after getting used to all the formalities, I feel like it has helped me with english (to a certain extent). Then there are the trivial things, like talking with my friends who also study german when we don't want others to know what we're saying... etc.

I hope this thread was also intended for non-french students. :p Otherwise... won't I look like an ass.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

I learnt jap in yr 7 for a term LOL, then stopped till yr 9, originally i wanted to do german but i my skool didnt have it n i didnt no we could do it from OHS and so i did japanese and its fun... :D . Learning another language is good, if give u a sense of achievement.. u learnt another language from scratch, gud for jobs, talkning to ppl that u couldnt, opens careers for u i guess

i feel gud, wen u say u can speak 3 languages it sounds betta than 2 language.. LOL.. no.. wen ppl ask u wat languages u can speak.. i can say.. cantonese, english AND japanese.. LOL :)

alissa_xoxo

Share the Love.
HSC
I study French because there was nothing else better on line 6 in for 11/12 subject selections

Immense amusement, an insight into a culture that usually i wouldn't experience, an interesting conversation starter (nothing gets the party started like "tapis mon carpet" or "je voudrais faire l'amour avec toi").

Tete-De-Chou

HSC
1. Why do you study a foreign language? What motivated you to do it?

I started French at a young age at primary school, and easily kicked everyone's arses at it, did it in Yr. 7 and liked it so much that I did the Yr. 8 refresher course, and continued doing it in 11 and 12.
So b/c I am good at it and I love it.

Further career options, conversation starters... or killers. Don't want to talk to that random sleaze in the street? Speak in a language he hopefully doesn't know! More cultural awareness. It's good to be bilingual in such a multicultural country.

Last edited:

el gwapo

HSC

It was mandatory back in Belgium where I lived. Twas an international school, mandatory nevertheless. Today I study it because my French teacher back in 8th grade told me to "toujours parler francais" or something near those words. And so I do. Reflective back I had given up on continuing it when I moved to Australia, but I did anyway due to the lack of real electives that I preferred. And I owned everyone besides the French guy, so I thought why not continue this. In hindsight I probably should have continued Spanish, that being the more used tongue in more countries e.g. California :D

It has given me the ability to speak French to a certain extent. Knowing 2 languages is great, 3 is amazing, albeit at a reduced level. It's given me a new avenue into the future.

kaaleng

in a world of her own
HSC
In our increasingly integrated and multicultural society, it's important to know at least one other language, apart from English. I chose to continue my studies of French for that reason - to be able to say I'm bilingual, and that I took the time to spend 6 continuous years studying French. I think it says something about me - I'm patient, I'm devoted.

French is a beautiful language - it's soft, calming. It's also so much more structured than English. Yet, because of it's similarity to English, it's so much easier to learn.

Lastly, my parents were born in a French-speaking country. I was raised speaking English, but I've grown up listening to French. So picking up the correct intonation and accent wasn't difficult. They gave me the motivation to continue - the majority of my family overseas speak French, and little English.

This is exactly like the conversation question we've been set - "Ca sert a quoi, l'apprentissage des langues?". It has opened my spirit, expanded my knowledge of culture... Hmm.

Danibelle

HSC

Because i was interested in it, i used to do it at my first primary school, it had an old train cart that every thing was labeled in french, i also liked it in yr 7 and i thought it would open up some doors if i ever wanted to travel etc!

A good oppourtunity to use it if i ever decide to travel, which i will and french is just a good thing to kno!

tete-de-chou said:
tete-de-chou said:
I started French at a young age at primary school, and easily kicked everyone's arses at it, did it in Yr. 7 and liked it so much that I did the Yr. 8 refresher course, and continued doing it in 11 and 12.
So b/c I am good at it and I love it.
How rude, missy, i was only a couple marks away from you, lol!!!!:eek:

yosemite sam

HSC
Why do you study a foreign language? What motivated you to do it?

I first did Italian in year 8 and found it interesting and quite easy to pick up on, and because of this was good at it. I decided to continue with it in year 11+12 since I wasn't given the opportunity to in years 9+10, and thought it would be a good opportunity to do something i had always wanted to (learn a foreign language). I've very quickly discovered that learning a language (particularly by distance where i'm the only person I know that speaks Italian) is a lot harder than I thought it would be...

Despite being easily the hardest subject I'm doing for my HSC, I feel its the only one that I actually have something to show for it. You can learn to write a killer essay in english or to do calculus in maths, but realistically they aren't something you're going to have to opportunity to use regularly in everyday life. Learning Italian has also shown me that I don't want to be a language teacher, because I would have to learn another language extensively, but it has shown me that learning italian is something i want to contnue doing. Travelling to italy last year and being able to put some of the stuff ive learnt into practice was a great motivation for wanting to learn more, as being able to communicate with someone youve never met on the otehr side of the world is incredibly cool. Oh yeah, and other people think its cool too - ''cool, say something in italian!'' ''pizza'' ''wow!'' :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)