Why does everyone freak out in Year 11 so much? (1 Viewer)

Spring Chicken

HSC
Basically my question in the title says it all.
Yes given that nothing really matters in Year 11, we must focus on at least attempting to build a string foundation for Year 12. Insert a construction of a building analogy here.
Half my year doesn't care, the other half cares.

So where do you sit? What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks.

xNoLiMiTz

HSC
From my opinion i didn't really care for my studies that much this year but i regret it now but from as soon as year 11 finishes going to study hard for my HSC goals

kev-kun

HSC
Hmm...Those who don't freak is due to that "Year 11 doesn't count towards HSC" mindset. On the other hand, there are people who do freak out due to first taste of HSC in the yearlies (where everything you've learnt is in the exams)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I only really care because I would like to get early entry into law (lol, unlikely) and most universities look at year eleven reports and take them into consideration (some even take year ten...). I'd also like that AAA thing from NSW that allows you to get into a course with 3 points less than is generally needed and gives you a couple of thousand of dollars if over years 11 and 12 you had the highest average assessment result in your cohort. So yeah, I guess that's why for me at least.

Spring Chicken

HSC
Yeah I'm ballin' in General Maths and English Advanced with 95% + in all my assessments and exams so far.
Every other subject was only in the 80% - 90% range which sucks a little ahaha.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Yeah I'm ballin' in General Maths and English Advanced with 95% + in all my assessments and exams so far.
Every other subject was only in the 80% - 90% range which sucks a little ahaha.
You're accelerated? Consider taking higher levels of mathematics if you find general too easy.

On topic: I don't really care much for year 11. I'm polishing year 12 whilst everyone is studying for their yearlies. They will beat me but I don't mind because my foundations are there and I don't need perfection for year 11, but 12.

pigas

HSC
I care because if I don't get into good habits now then next year is probably too late. I hate changes and I never used to study, almost end of year 11 and I am still struggling with getting good studying habits. I will study for like 4 hours a day for 2 weeks then the next week I won't study at all. :/

Also for some subjects the prelims include fundamental knowledge for some HSC topics.

enoilgam

HSC
I found Year 11 to be one of my worst years - I think it's just the transition that can throw people off, because it is a lot more work than Year 10. In hindsight I probably should have been way more chill, but a lot of people find Year 11 to be a big transition I guess.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I found Year 11 to be one of my worst years - I think it's just the transition that can throw people off, because it is a lot more work than Year 10. In hindsight I probably should have been way more chill, but a lot of people find Year 11 to be a big transition I guess.
Haha. Year 11 was hardly a transition ... It is the same as the other years except you choose your own subjects.

enoilgam

HSC
Haha. Year 11 was hardly a transition ... It is the same as the other years except you choose your own subjects.
Well, it depends on the person - I found it to be a transition and I know that it's not uncommon for year 11 to be a tough year for people.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I always think its because of the courses you're doing e.g a student taking general maths but did substantially well in year 10 but chose not to do 2u or 3u because for whatever reason thinks even if he doesnt come top 10, could always make up for it in year 12 because hes more naturally gifted at maths than the rest of his cohorts. While a student who is taking ext 1 maths or more demanding courses, tend to be stressed because they see this as their reflection in year 12 on how well they will perform based on their cohorts skills and intelligences.

In many cases though people just dont care, they have a job that pays well and have a tendency to think they can live off that while attending tafe then uni in a few years. E.g my friend whos a martial arts/tricking instructor, he gets paid 50 dollars an hour for 8-16 hours a week basis.
Not entirely sure and most likely wrong but thats how i would feel and i have a lot of friends whos just given up on hsc.

ShadowLighte

HSC
I guess it's because it's kind of like our last chance to get up to par before the real thing counts- Year 12. I'm in Year 11 now and the transition wasn't too bad. I was just glad to get rid of one of my subjects that I hated and was stuck with for two years (Commerce) and take up two history subjects ^_^

I found that the workload wasn't too bad either. Quite a few times a week I didn't have any homework. I suppose I was supposed to study but yeah, that's what I regret not doing and what I will do (or try to) when I transition into Year 12 in about a month. It could be also because I never really spoke in class/ was distracted by other students and always just sat quietly and did all my work which is probably why I didn't have so much homework. Ah well.

Haruka

HSC
Because it's the first time we have to get really serious with our studies, face regret over subject choices and know exactly what we want from our futures.

j12onuzim

HSC
I personally found year 11 my "off" year- the year I never studied and was not bothered to do anything instead of stressing. I think it is also the fact that for some of us who cruised through years 7-10 having near-top grades, it seemed almost like something guaranteed. Also, ^yeah I agree that it is the first year we have to take it seriously- maybe it just takes time (A LOT) of time for us to adjust? I know I took year 7 WAY more seriously than I ever took year 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)