Why does everyone major in accounting? (1 Viewer)

HSC
lots of demand for Accounting grads.

decent salaries

supply >demand

Not the most difficult of Business majors.

oh yeah, like you said cos it's 'exciting and fun'..

Also international students may have to do it to satisfy point requirements for their PR applications.

Last edited:
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
you mean demand > supply ?

I've heard for every accountant theres like 8 vacant jobs available.

lol..thanks for that correction. I'm supposed to be an ECON major..disgraceful

;)

Yeah, there's plenty of jobs to go around for Accounting dudes.

karnage

HSC
Ignoring all that accountants are in high demand stuff (which is true mind you, im not disagreeing with that), is it really that good?

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Um, most of the people I talk to LAUGH when asked 'Are you going to major in accounting?'. Economics and pretty much anything else seems like a much better option. (Some people value their psychological health > monies).

Can you imagine being an accountant for LIFE anyway? Don't. I take it back - don't imagine it. I wouldn't wish THAT imaginary experience on my worst enemies...

3li

HSC
N/A
im doing accounting but i dont plan to be an accountant

its up to u

its boring but id o it cos it gets me places

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I cant decide which one to complement my law degree- accouting or eco??

Eco gives me free electives and is more quantitative (plus im good at it lol), whereas accounting seems safe, can complement well with tax law/general busines stuff however i do beleive that it is less quantitative

and between the two which is less boring as a profession- accountant or economist?

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
Being able to find your way around financial statements is important in whatever finance job you go into.

Accounting, or at least being able to analyse financial statements, is a very important - and often underrated - skill.

Only1United

HSC
Cookie182 said:
I cant decide which one to complement my law degree- accouting or eco??

Eco gives me free electives and is more quantitative (plus im good at it lol), whereas accounting seems safe, can complement well with tax law/general busines stuff however i do beleive that it is less quantitative

and between the two which is less boring as a profession- accountant or economist?
accounting all the way!!!gives you more flexibility

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
live.fast said:
Um, most of the people I talk to LAUGH when asked 'Are you going to major in accounting?'. Economics and pretty much anything else seems like a much better option. (Some people value their psychological health > monies).

Can you imagine being an accountant for LIFE anyway? Don't. I take it back - don't imagine it. I wouldn't wish THAT imaginary experience on my worst enemies...
Stereotypes fail.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
why wouldan economist be any less boring??? All day u would also be analysing groth figures, graphs, trends and preparing statements etc the nature of the jobs would both involve number crunching

BackCountrySnow

HSC
well i want to go into public policy or dept. of trade and foreign affairs so it would be different.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Problem with accounting is that it's a tad broad and there's a enormous number of jobs with very little in common that fall under the umbrella.

I'd hate to work in a repetitive crunching job like AR or AP etc.

I'm currently an auditor and I've spent the last week analysing the robustness of provisions under AASB137 and researching the general banking and capital market environment to develop independent expectations on business performance.

Not to say that I haven't had relatively more boring weeks either but that's something I like about this field... the work changes so frequently you're always being exposed to new things.

All in all I enjoy it.

But back to the OP... Why major in accounting?

I'd say its because accounting is one of the few majors offered within commerce degrees that actually teach something substantive. Strip away the fancy title and realise that essentially you're studying arts.

Other good majors include finance and I'd say economics/econometrics and obviously things like actuarial studies.

[Edit: removed my rant .. probably uncalled for for now.]

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
seremify007 said:
Stereotypes fail.
Not really. Or maybe i just like the stereotypical view towards one half of my degree: "you'll be serving me McDonald's in the future" :D

Also for eg,

Q: What does an accountant use for birth control?
A: Their personality.

To be serious though, live.fast is being hyperbolic. 'Accounting is no longer number crunching these days' (Caitlin Ruddock, lol!).

edit: i wanted to read your rant Vagabond :( even with the perceived slight at arts :eek:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
havent read all the responses, but here's my 2c:

to be honest, before starting uni i'd come across the major stereotype that accounting is shit boring and accountants are boring with no life, and i bought that. but having done my first accounting subject, nerdy as it may sound given the stereotype - i actually really enjoyed it.
its really interesting, and ...while once i scoffed at the thought of majoring in anything accounting related, i'm now looking at possibly majoring in accounting or finance.

so 1) i find it interesting and enjoy it.
2) i think some ppl may find that as an academic subject it has more substance than something like majoring in 'management' - which is something thats more learnt on the job as opposed to taught theoretically. (personal opinion)
3) there's also i spose the job factor.

but i dont intend to become an accountant per se having majored in accounting. so yeah someone may major in accounting but not necessarily for the whole "there are so many accounting jobs available" thing lol

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
yea i went through the same feelings/exp as -pari- there.
i always had the stereotypical and personal viewpoint my entire life that accounting was boring, lame and "omg why on earth would i ever do it?!" - but as first level accounting subjects are core for commerce degrees, i found it to be thoroughly enjoyable which has now led me to major in it. so i think it really just depends on the person.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
im with the post above, i always planned to major in eco but that is because before i got to uni eco was the only commerce subject i had had experience with (ie HSC)

now im doing first year accounting its damn interesting, especially when you can pull out your parents accounting statements etc for their small business and understand exactly what is going on, do your own tax return, im definately considering majoring in it

in fact, this area of Forensic Accounting seems very appealing- particularly as im doing a law degree as well. Anyone know much about it? Any one work in it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)