Why education? (1 Viewer)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Well i'm sitting here in my staffroom counting down the hours until my next class, don't worry i'm not officially on duty so no bludger statements please I am eating my subway lunch, and anyway I am looking out over all these bright minds wandering past and it got me thinking. What the heck would posses someone to teach these days? Is it the lure of holidays? is it making a difference? Is it the great pay ( :rofl: )?

And why pick the level you did (Pri/Sec/Voc/Higher)?

For me i've always liked helping people, even in High School i'd be giving the teachers lessons on how to use certain software programs (and no I wasn't a teachers pet I was well paid) and I worked with professional trainers at one of my other jobs and saw how they handled things. Then during uni I did some work in Adult & Community Education (ACE) Centers followed by tutoring in various subjects. Then once leaving uni I figured i'd try to get some work in IT and I saw jobs come and go and they all looked pretty shocking to be honest, I like conditions better than I like money. So I wandered on down to TAFE and was put on as a part timer where I remained for a year or so working on the "too hard" projects. I really liked the fact I received a set of outcomes at the start and was told to go at it without too much meddling. It's a very flexible job, the holidays ain't bad, when the students are motivated it's great and i've worked on a heap of industry projects and run around on various committees since joining. I've kept a few businesses running on the side and looking at what else I could be doing i'd be insane to quit right now unless someone offered me $90k+ a year to put up with the stress and inflexibility of most other jobs that I would have to endure.

Having said that I couldn't possibly imagine dealing with little kids (Primary) or some of the ones coming through High School these days for any length of time. Also 8am-4pm+ 5 days a week doesn't appeal to me and having to stand out in the sun babysitting some kids when I could be in the airconditioned comfort of my home watching TV isn't my idea of a "break". So to all you schoolies I salute you :wave:

So, what is making you trot down the teaching path? And what do you hope to find at the end of it?

emjayel

HSC
N/A
Why?
1. It just clicked. I was in a bookshop one day early last year and the idea popped into my head, and has held reign in the front of my mind ever since.
2. I was sick of working in a career where the sole purpose of my role seemed to be to line the coffers of company executives & shareholders.
2b. I was sick of working 45-70 (avg 55) hours a week to filful the needs of said role
3. I came to realise that the years I'd put into obtaining qualifications in IT were all but redundant as I felt the growing urge to work in a career where I was constantly engaging with living beings, and not staring into a computer screen all day configuring authentication systems and routers.

Is it the lure of holidays? Yes and no. Yes because it provides a hell of a lot of time to work on other things. No because I intend to use the holidays to work on my Masters & ultimately my PhD. I guess the latter would still be considered as a 'yes' then, wouldn't it?

Is it making a difference? Absolutely. I feel that without a comprehensive and diverse education, the myriad issues facing the world today. Furthermore I know that my wishes for an altruistic (or as close to..) society will never come to bear until future generations are given the knowledge required to gain a solid understanding of other cultures which one would hope would lead to acceptance.

Is it the great pay? Nope, I was already making about what you'd expect as a teacher with a couple of years under your belt. Had I stuck with it for another two or three years I'd have sufficient experience to secure work in the >$100k realm. Had I ditched that industry and taken up work utilising my IT qualifications (Network Engineering) I'd be in the $60-80 bracket.

Why pick the level I did (primary)? For me, the most imporatant years in developing a thirst for knowledge were those in the last few years of primary school. It was in those years that my passion for learning blossomed with the assistance of some fantastic teachers that made each and every lesson an enticing and entirely fulfilling experience. As such, I hope to be able to ignite the same passion in my students.

What do you hope to find at the end of it? My long term plan (as it currently stands) is to graduate with my B. Ed, work overseas (Japan, then South America/West Africa, then Europe or Canada) for two or three years, return to Australia to teach in the public system for ten years or so while completing post-graduate studies & developing a solid foundation of practical experience, then work my way into either a policy or curriculum development role in either state or federal government. If all goes to plan, I don’t fail any units, and my transition from study>travel/work>work all goes as smoothly as I hope then I should be at my endpoint by the time I hit my mid-late forties, where I’ll work through to retirement. I could of course extend the working years depending on how attached I become to the role :D

Apologies for the long winded response, first time someone's asked so many worthy questions all at once ;)

Last edited:

emjayel

HSC
N/A
NB: Response to "Is it making a difference?" should read:

I feel that without providing future generations with a comprehensive and diverse education, the myriad issues facing the world will never be resolved.

Apologies again, long day at work, so tired... :sleep:

rific

HSC
For me, I started watching the BBC's 'Teachers', figured I could fit into that sort of environment. Seriously, the drinking, obsession with sex, hangovers, denigration of students and colleagues, planning the next trip to the pub, egocentrism, and the list goes on, really, who wouldn't want in?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I chose to be a teacher because I want to change the world.

What better place to start than at the beginning??

darkroomgirl

HSC
Everyone's tried and dissuaded me from teaching for ages (except for my brilliant English teacher, Denis Fitzgerald, former president of the Teachers Federation himself). Apparently I could do better in law, or journalism, or politics. All great things, but I personally find the remarks offensive. For one, it's MY dream, MY life. Nobody else's business and all that jazz...

I think the main thing that lured me into teaching was that the job actually made a difference (admittedly, that could be a bad kind of difference, with the wrong teacher, but anyway... I'm striving real hard to be a good teacher, alright). So many of my teachers have altered my views and perspectives not only within specific subjects, but also on life and the world in general. They have also taught me how to think for myself, how to be independent and well-versed in my opinions. Their impact on me was amazing, and seeing that in myself, I wanted to have the same impact on other kids. I didn't want a desk job that didn't involve daily challenges... and I also especially didn't want a job that might hinder me from having kids and raising them (yes, I do plan to be a mum... someday very far away). I really wanted something that daily stimulated my mind and enabled me to interact with people.

With the pay, I'm really not that fussed. The gov't is giving teachers a lot more support these days, and when it comes down to the crunch, 50K (teachers' starting salary when I graduate) is quite enough. Head teachers get around 80K and principals have about 130K, and that's good enough for me. And besides, while I could certainly earn more doing other jobs that I'm capable of handling, I'd say that enjoying and loving your job is much more valuable... don't you think?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
darkroomgirl said:
I'd say that enjoying and loving your job is much more valuable... don't you think?

Find a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life

rific

HSC
Oh, I like this game!

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil. Teach.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I'm not sure if I should be in this forum because I'm a commerce robot but I'm very sure right now that I want to move into education, training and teaching. I agree with almost everything everyone has already said and know that teaching is the one thing I will find totally fulfilling and satisfying. I work as a private tutor to high school aged kids right now and it's an an unexplainable feeling passing on knowledge and helping them realise their potential. It's a feeling I love and want to have in my career.

I entered the wrong degree choice and was almost about to transfer but chickened out at the last minute. It's unfortunate that the one thing that could have made me 110% sure I want to be in teaching is a missed opportunity. It doesn't matter too much because I'll be finishing my degree with some social science knowledge (hopefully, the completion of a major in Economics) and I'll be heading for a degree in Education. It's a nice feeling to finally realise what I'm supposed to be aiming for. Better late than never :)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
hehe here's a not so nice teacher one

Those who can't do, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach teachers.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
im doubting if i even want to be a teacher now, i'm going to find out what other paths this degree could take me down

rific

HSC
There's a careers day on this week, Wednesday I think, that may help out. I was in a grad recruitment lecture last week, and it was mentioned that you could get into areas like public service, det positions, and that many private sector areas like the teaching degree, or just any degree for that matter. That's all I can remember about different paths, but know they exist if you do decide teaching isn't for you.

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
Why Education?

I've always dreamt of becoming a Teacher of the Deaf since I was a child, and I have been told by others that I would make a great teacher. I've also always known that I would work with deaf children, especially in the education sector.

I also want to improve the education system for deaf students in Australia, and to make them equal to their hearing classmates, and not to be 1-2 years behind. The current education system in Australia is one of the worst in world.

I also would like to teach in the UK for a year or two, just to gain experience and bring whatever I've learnt in the UK to Australia.

pirate dread

HSC
N/A
why you ask?
been in construction industry for twenty years , proberly longer than most of you guys have been alive. working 60 hours a week 50 weeks a year sucks ( money was good though ). Enjoyed training apprentices they are top fun, would of liked to train a few more up but blew a couple of disks in my back, yah. Kids are cool when they can respect you. I`m over clients trying to screw you, trying to get out of paying you, work cover continuing hassling you, worker comp, super the list goes on. A good government job with no ringing phone 24/7. My teachers sucked when i was at school, this gives me insiration to do better than them. it can`t be to hard as long as your organised aqnd have plenty of painance.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
pirate dread said:
why you ask?
My teachers sucked when i was at school, this gives me insiration to do better than them. it can`t be to hard as long as your organised aqnd have plenty of painance.
and hopefully a spellchecker!!

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
I am currently studying to become a primary teacher, and i guess the thing that drew me towards it was the diversity and challange, and it is something i always dreamed about doing when i was a child.
I love helping people achieve to the best of their potential, and education is one of the keys this. Education is not only about academics, it is about developing young individuals that are able come commumicate effectively with others, solve problems, and participate as active members of the community.
Primary education i feel is a huge challange as there are so many things that need to be considered and done.
So being a primary teacher is what i plan to be my forte for the next 10 years, though i plan to become a secondary maths teacher in the long run. I guess that is just because that is where my true passion exists and I need to challange myself before that so that I can be fully convinced that i will be happy teaching maths. Though i never know i might never end up going down that path and stay with primary teaching.
I guess my ambition is to help children enjoy learning, in particular maths, but if i were to go into a secondary setting i would feel restricted in that the aim is for them to perform well in tests. So i feel that doing primary ed. first will help me explore this area and then i may be able to carry these alone with me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)