Why education? (1 Viewer)

rific

HSC
How horrifying. Secondary teaching can be about educating for assessment, this was particularly true not so long ago. No one, however, entering the education industry should feel this. We are really trying our bestest to enable students' education to improve life, not academic results.

tabbi_neubeck

minus the neubeck part
HSC
dont get me wrong i dont think that that is the way it should be, it just seems to be the general pressure applied to secondary teachers. That is the reason why i want to move through primary ed and then into secondary so that i can develop my teaching methods, and then apply methods in the secondary setting so maths doesnt primarily have the aims of academic achievement, but also enjoyment, the development of social skills and personal inprovement.

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
Iruka said:
So what do you think we should do to improve education for deaf students? I haven't done my Special Education subject yet, but I guess this is an issue that will be covered. I doubt that they will have time to go into any particular area in any great depth though.

I sometimes wish that we could have more subject specific Special Education courses. For instance, I have just learned that there is a specific learning disability related to mathematics, called "dyscalculia." I think it is sort of like a mathematical type of dyslexia. But since all students in the school of education do the same Special Ed course (which is mandated by DET), I doubt that stuff like that will get more than a passing mention.
Ah, haha, good question. I could go on and on all night!

If you got msn, and want to talk about this, then you're welcome to add me :)
shexxy.shex@hotmail.com

Cheers

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Australian history unfortunately doesn't seem to be too 'debateable' in any sort of way :(

rific

HSC
Malfoy said:
At the same time, I'd like to one day go into curriculum or syllabus development, because I believe there is a lot wrong with certain secondary courses (mostly Stage 5 History (9 & 10) and Stage 6 English (HSC), which are shocking courses) and it'd be great to have a hand in implementing an overhaul.
Good luck, I think the entire secondary schooling system needs to be reformed. The Australian History debate has been recognised as one that disengages students from the syllabus and learning, so hopefully that is the beginning of the overhaul you want.

Out of interest, which Stage 5 (HSC) English course are you talking about in particular?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
perhaps this could go in the Special Ed. thread??? and perhaps you should stop whinging and try to look at the positives of your situation....

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
hehe here's a not so nice teacher one

Those who can't do, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
How about...

Those who can do, teach ;)

Throughout years 11 and 12 (and it's still happening now) I was constantly told not to do teaching. "You could be a lawyer...sit in an air-conditioned office, get paid massive amounts of money, be your own boss! Why would you want to sit in a crummy classroom, with crummy kids and crummy wages?"

Well...for a few reasons:
I have a weird obsession with English - I love it. I always have. I love reading books and dissecting every word, looking at the historical, social and political contexts, reading brilliant poetry. I'm not creative, so I could never be a writer, so I thought, how else can I use english? TEACH IT!

In year 11 and 12 I loved the relationships we formed with our teachers. They were our mums, dads, sisters, brothers, best friends. I would love to form that relationship with my students

I can't see myself doing anything else (albiet a Psychologist - I'm still deciding which path I want to take. I will complete both degrees so that I have the options). I'm not Lawyer material. I don't want heaps of money to fight for criminals, or to spend 20 hours a day at my office doing work. I gotta look to the future where I want to have kids, and be a stay-at-home Mum for a few initial years.

I hope that I can either go back to my High School (catholic) or hopefully get into the Private system. I'm so not a Public school kinda girl lol

The one thing that people are astonished by, is the fact that I want to work at a boys' school. I've always wanted to! I think it would be the ultimate challenge. My friends and family think the boys will eat me alive :eek: lol

rific

HSC
I've no idea if anyone else here knows of Taylor Mali, but for those that don't, he's a teacher and poet and is trying to persuade 1000 people to join the teaching profession. Anyway, he has a great talent with words, and his poetry is fantastic, I'm a little in love with it. Oh shut up, I'm allowed to like poetry, I'm in English. So, in order to spread the word a little, here's the link to his site http://www.taylormali.com/index.html and here's one of his better known poems about teaching (read the others though, you probably won't be disappointed) (oh, and sorry about the length of the post, but hey, I don't write often, so call it catch up):

What Teachers Make, or
Objection Overruled, or
If things don't work out, you can always go to law school

By Taylor Malicom

He says the problem with teachers is, "What's a kid going to learn
from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"
He reminds the other dinner guests that it's true what they say about
teachers:
Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

I decide to bite my tongue instead of his
and resist the temptation to remind the dinner guests
that it's also true what they say about lawyers.

Because we're eating, after all, and this is polite company.

"I mean, you¹re a teacher, Taylor," he says.
"Be honest. What do you make?"

And I wish he hadn't done that
(asked me to be honest)
because, you see, I have a policy
about honesty and ass-kicking:
if you ask for it, I have to let you have it.

You want to know what I make?

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I can make a C+ feel like a Congressional medal of honor
and an A- feel like a slap in the face.
How dare you waste my time with anything less than your very best.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall
in absolute silence. No, you may not work in groups.
No, you may not ask a question.
Why won't I let you get a drink of water?
Because you're not thirsty, you're bored, that's why.

I make parents tremble in fear when I call home:
I hope I haven't called at a bad time,
I just wanted to talk to you about something Billy said today.
Billy said, "Leave the kid alone. I still cry sometimes, don't you?"
And it was the noblest act of courage I have ever seen.

I make parents see their children for who they are
and what they can be.

You want to know what I make?

I make kids wonder,
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely beautiful, definitely
beautiful
over and over and over again until they will never misspell
either one of those words again.
I make them show all their work in math.
And hide it on their final drafts in English.
I make them understand that if you got this (brains)
then you follow this (heart) and if someone ever tries to judge you
by what you make, you give them this (the finger).

Let me break it down for you, so you know what I say is true:
I make a goddamn difference! What about you?

tzncz

not quite here
HSC
Heyall,

Well, I haven't done my HSC yet, but I'm going to in a year, and I'm 90% sure that I want to teach. Here are some thoughts and ramblings:

- Why? Because I want to help the leaders of tomorrow realise that they are.
- The other 10%? Dunno, maybe architecture, or town planning, or journalism, or psychiatry, or social work, or international studies, or...
- Level? Dunno, how do you decide?
- Reactions? My parents don't mind, they're happy whatever I do. My friends don't mind, they're happy whatever I do too. People I don't know very well mind, though, when I tell them I want to teach, they ask "Why?" and in some strange inexplicable way, they lose respect for me.
- At the end of the path? Well, I had really good teachers in primary school, and I have really good teachers in high school. I know that I am the person I am because of what and how they taught me. At the end of the path, I hope that a student somewhere feels that way about me.

That's all... ~

SweetSeasons

HSC
cause it's

a. not a desk job
b. not hard labour
c. it's social
d. it's easy
e. it's fun
f. can do it anywhere in the world
g. good holidays
h. you are your own boss in your class room
i. you get good pay
j. you get good hours
k. get to wear comfy clothes
l. it's laid back
m. it's good for if you want kids
n. you can make a difference.. even if it's only to just one person you're still making a difference.
o. um.. i'm sure there are more reasons.. i'm too hung over right now

rific

HSC
SweetSeasons said:
cause it's

o. um.. i'm sure there are more reasons.. i'm too hung over right now
Your other reasons were good too, but this one is a stand out, and oh so very true!

For any non-teaching people reading this forum, it's all a lie, no teacher has ever had a drop of alcohol. Ever. No, really.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Shit, I'm in the wrong profession... sometimes at work (I work in a preschool) I wish I could have a glass of red while I'm doing my programming! It helps me to think! Really it does! :D

SweetSeasons

HSC
lol.. the only weekday I drink on is friday... and any ways I'm gonna be a wood work teacher.. their all alcho's :p

BlackDragon

HSC
Is it the great pay? Nope, I was already making about what you'd expect as a teacher with a couple of years under your belt. Had I stuck with it for another two or three years I'd have sufficient experience to secure work in the >$100k realm. Had I ditched that industry and taken up work utilising my IT qualifications (Network Engineering) I'd be in the $60-80 bracket.
umm. sorry this is a super naive question. is 60 - 70k good pay? like what the average australian wage and what kind of quality of life would 60 - 70k give a:

single person
person in a couple
couple with kids?

like upper middle, middle middle or lower middle class? sorry i don't really have any idea about that. it seems, to me, that 70k would be stacks for a single person or even a couple and that they would have heaps of disposable income for everything. true or not? thanks.

Last edited:

emjayel

HSC
N/A
BlackDragon said:
umm. sorry this is a super naive question. is 60 - 70k good pay?
Yes.
BlackDragon said:
like what the average australian wage
Full-time adult ordinary time earnings - $1043.00/week.
(http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/e8ae5488b598839cca25682000131612/ba84bbb55b643021ca2568a90013934e!OpenDocument)
BlackDragon said:
and what kind of quality of life would 60 - 70k give a:
single person
Good.
BlackDragon said:
person in a couple
Great, depending on partner's income.
BlackDragon said:
couple with kids?
Great, depending on partner's income.
BlackDragon said:
like upper middle, middle middle or lower middle class?
Upper middle class.
BlackDragon said:
sorry i don't really have any idea about that. it seems, to me, that 70k would be stacks for a single person or even a couple and that they would have heaps of disposable income for everything. true or not? thanks.
Disposable income would vary greatly depending on things like rent/mortgage, transportation, day to day expenses. You should be reasonably comfortable on a teacher's salary, just don't expect to drive a luxury sedan.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
so I'm going to have to marry a doctor if I want a luxury sedan????

*dances off to the medical threads*

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
i guess the fact that I already drive an "almost" luxury sedan doesn't quite fit with your idea then does it??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)