why, how (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
we were not taught any method, teacher just did two examples and gave us work.
Oh. Its pretty straightforward.

Say you have a function;

cos(x) + 3sin(x) = k
you can find the value of theta through auxiliary angles but you can also use t formulae for this.

You would make t = tan(x/2) as to be able to substitute the trigonometric functions into one variable t.

1634903357935.png

Then you would solve for t.

This is one way of memorising the identities. cos(x) would be opposite over hypotenuse so 1-t^2/1+t^2.

There's not much to this, its just algebra. If you're algebra's pretty rusty and you're not confident, this is going to be brutal. If your algebraic manipulation is good, then this is pretty straightforward.

yashbb

HSC
Oh. Its pretty straightforward.

Say you have a function;

cos(x) + 3sin(x) = k
you can find the value of theta through auxiliary angles but you can also use t formulae for this.

You would make t = tan(x/2) as to be able to substitute the trigonometric functions into one variable t.

View attachment 32896

This is one way of memorising the identities. cos(x) would be opposite over hypotenuse so 1-t^2/1+t^2.

There's not much to this, its just algebra. If you're algebra's pretty rusty and you're not confident, this is going to be brutal. If your algebraic manipulation is good, then this is pretty straightforward.
my algebra is fine, its just that we are never really taught anything. Thank you. I can't express how grateful I am.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)