why i'm boycotting nudie (and you should too)... (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i admit, nudieshttp://www.nudie.com.au/ are attractive for what they are, fruit juice. they create a nice little marketing image, basically crushed fruit, nothing added. they claim to require refrigeration and consumption within a few days.

then i read this articlehttp://www.smh.com.au/news/national/nudies-labels-barefaced-cheek/2008/06/20/1213770924125.html in the herald today.

see also the FCA decisionhttp://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCA/2008/943.html.

not drinking nudie ever again, those lying, deceiving, misleading bastards. going back to my Original Juice Co Black Labelhttp://www.originaljuiceco.com.au/products/blackLabel.cfm or Sydney Waterhttp://www.sydneywater.com.au/WaterQuality/...

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I have never bought nudie anyway, their prices were a rip off to begin with. Their 'try-to-be-cool" marketing style was also a turn off.

There are other 100% juice drinks out there that are much cheaper.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
or maybe eat fresh fruit to begin with :)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I boycotted them from day one, but mainly because I refused to spend five (5) hundred dollars on 400ml of juice.

boris

Banned
HSC
never had a nudie, tbh. not because i havent seen them, but there have always been cheaper and bigger varieties available

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
or maybe eat fresh fruit to begin with :)
Not when I'm thirsty.

And as the others have said, I was never into spending $5-6 for 250-350ml for a 'cool' drink. I think it's pretentious to pay that much for what is basically cheap marketing.

You can buy 1L of 100% OJ for less than that, as an example.

Arithela

HSC
yup nudies are rip-offs, i don't know what the fascination is, especially with their insane price tags when there are cheaper alternatives

sca

HSC
Although Nudie juice is a rip off, and I think it's pretty stupid to pay that much for fresh juice when you could make 10+x the quantity for the same price... what they did isn't the end of the world.

They have a range of products, and on two of them the proportion of apple to the key fruit wasn't made obvious enough. It's not okay, but it's not aweful either, so calm down.

Really, it should be obvious to check the fine print on the ingrediants for juices made from expensive fruits like berries, because they'll rarely if ever be made solely from that fruit. It just wouldn't be cost effective for the company.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I have tried the nudie juices when they were on special once and just to try them and i do not like them all that much.

I wouldnt buy them anyway

HSC
sca said:
Although Nudie juice is a rip off, and I think it's pretty stupid to pay that much for fresh juice when you could make 10+x the quantity for the same price... what they did isn't the end of the world.

They have a range of products, and on two of them the proportion of apple to the key fruit wasn't made obvious enough. It's not okay, but it's not aweful either, so calm down.

Really, it should be obvious to check the fine print on the ingrediants for juices made from expensive fruits like berries, because they'll rarely if ever be made solely from that fruit. It just wouldn't be cost effective for the company.
Well they created the impression that it was made out of expensive fruits and when you were paying 4-5 dollars for such a small bottle people would have reason to believe them.

I'm staying well away from them, even though whenever I did buy them it was a rarity

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
sca said:

sca, did you bother to read the FCA judgmenthttp://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/FCA/2008/943.html?

the fact is, nudie didn't state in their cranberry and cranberry-blueberry juice packaging that they contained any fruit other than cranberry/blueberry. that's completely different from saying they didn't state the proportion of cranberry-to-apple or blue-to-apple prominently. if you check out this nudie webpagehttp://www.nudie.com.au/glossary.htm, they claim not to use reconstituted juices. prima facie, that's two separate breaches of s52.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
sca, did you bother to read the FCA judgment?
I was going to ask the same thing, obviously she didn't. There's also lack of understanding of the legal process if she believes the fed courts (or any court) would kick up such a fuss if based on the circumstances she described.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
sca said:

the basic gist of the court's decision was that it's dishonest for them to use packaging and advertising which effectively says "HEY GUYS, CRANBERRIES! CRANBERRIES! CRANBERRIES! NOTHING ADDED!" to sell apple juice with a bit of cranberry juice in it. consumers shouldn't be expected, after seeing packaging which is so emphatic about cranberries and which doesn't even mention apples, to then pore over the ingredients list to find out that it's only 20% cranberry and 80% apple.

jellybelly08

HSC
Yep $5 for a small bottle of juice is not worth it, but it makes you cool right? right?

And Frigid why must you use that tiny little font? Its quite annoying.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I like the taste, and I'd still buy it (although usually when it's on special for like $2). The actual content doesn't bother me, although yes they do need to display it on the bottle.

I know about juice (having worked with it for a long time), and most of the time berry-flavoured things have little in the way of berries. They're expensive, and they make things very thick so in order to get a decent consistency you will need quite a high percentage of apple juice.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
jellybelly08 said:
Yep $5 for a small bottle of juice is not worth it, but it makes you cool right? right?

And Frigid why must you use that tiny little font? Its quite annoying.
More like quite awesome.

Edit: small fonts make me wet

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)