Why is it current that kills? Why is AC more dangerous than DC - damage to the body? (1 Viewer)

QZP

HSC
Re: Why is it current that kills? Why is AC more dangerous than DC - damage to the bo

I always wondered this too. Would like to know! (What is more harmful, voltage or current?)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Why is it current that kills? Why is AC more dangerous than DC - damage to the bo

current is the transfer of electrons and too many of those things is bad

it's not "more dangerous" - both are bad

I always wondered this too. Would like to know! (What is more harmful, voltage or current?)
both are bad

Last edited:

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC

AC disrupts the heart rhythms and is much more likely to cause electrocution/heart problems than DC if I recall correctly.

Also if you think about how the AC moves (goes back and forth, essentially), that constant alternating movement delivers more current/voltage to the body than DC, which is more damaging because it can also cause electrical burns, etc.

QZP

HSC

current is the transfer of electrons and too many of those things is bad

it's not "more dangerous" - both are bad

both are bad
One is definitely more dangerous than the other (relates to the Edison vs Westinghouse electrical debate)

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

One is definitely more dangerous than the other (relates to the Einstein vs Westinghouse electrical debate)
firstly; if you learnt this debate correctly it was Westinghouse and Edison. Einstein has nothing to do with electricity in terms of the physics syllabus and is purely focused on relativity and the space topic and a bit of q2q.

secondly; i reiterate my point that both are quite dangerous and possibly fatal. Edison was purely doing it for self interest and economic gains insisting that AC is more dangerous so that is "DC power" will prevail to win a contract to supply the cities with electricity.

why don't you hook yourself up to a DC car battery and tell me it isn't dangerous.

Last edited:

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC

firstly; if you learnt this debate correctly it was Westinghouse and Edison. Einstein has nothing to do with electricity in terms of the physics syllabus and is purely focused on relativity and the space topic and a bit of q2q.

secondly; i reiterate my point that both are quite dangerous and possibly fatal. Westinghouse was purely doing it for self interest and economic gains insisting that AC is more dangerous so that is "DC power" will prevail to win a contract to supply the cities with electricity.

why don't you hook yourself up to a DC car battery and tell me it isn't dangerous.
I think it was Edison not Westinghouse claiming AC was more dangerous.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

I think it was Edison not Westinghouse claiming AC was more dangerous.
my apologies; I miss-typed. Edison (in favour for DC) insisted that AC was more dangerous for his self-interest.

I have corrected the above for accuracy

furthermore; they are both dangerous in their own right

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

What squareroot said sums it up. AC and DC are proportionally the same. Both high voltages and high current are dangerous. Either way the voltage drop across your body will be a function of the supply and resistance of the body. You can't say one or the other unless given info about power and resistance of the body. It also depends on the resistance internally of the source.

However,as RR said AC interferes with heart pulses, hence being prone to instant deaths.

I have indeed myself almost been burnt with a car battery when I set the voltmeter to low resistance. Put it back to high resistance and all good again.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Let's not forget that there is a current as a result of voltage - so it's pretty useless to say that current or voltage kills you - V=IR - higher voltage means higher current. It's a bit like me dropping cyanide in someone's tea and saying that I didn't kill him, the cyanide did.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

What squareroot said sums it up. AC and DC are proportionally the same. Both high voltages and high current are dangerous. Either way the voltage drop across your body will be a function of the supply and resistance of the body. You can't say one or the other unless given info about power and resistance of the body. It also depends on the resistance internally of the source.

However,as RR said AC interferes with heart pulses, hence being prone to instant deaths.

I have indeed myself almost been burnt with a car battery when I set the voltmeter to low resistance. Put it back to high resistance and all good again.
i didn't go off-topic in this thread :D

are you proud of me :p

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

In terms of which one is more dangerous, it's very subjective and personally, I think it's a rather stupid argument to have - it's like asking whether it's more dangerous to take a capsule of uranium or thallium.

After you get about 10 mA across your body (maybe 15 V or so), you may die.

In terms of AC or DC, it's very situational - they have different effects and in some situations, AC will kill you but in others, DC will kill you but in most situations, both will kill you.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

#2K posts

sciencenerd

HSC

i understand that in AC, the shock comes back to attack you
BUT to clarify, is any of this related to frequency? coz in the textbook it mentions AC as 50HZ per second (no mention of DC??) that means the DC frequency is lower???????????????????????????????????????????????????? and btw does the sinusoidal shape of the AC voltage graph have anything to do with this because it's mentioned in the textbook but I can't seem to comprehend its relevance to this

i. am. soooooooooooo00000. confused...........................................

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

i understand that in AC, the shock comes back to attack you
BUT to clarify, is any of this related to frequency? coz in the textbook it mentions AC as 50HZ per second (no mention of DC??) that means the DC frequency is lower???????????????????????????????????????????????????? and btw does the sinusoidal shape of the AC voltage graph have anything to do with this because it's mentioned in the textbook but I can't seem to comprehend its relevance to this

i. am. soooooooooooo00000. confused...........................................
you don't need to know that. leave that to the electrical engineers (*errrrehum* AD*errrrehum*)

QZP

HSC

Oh yeah Edison**

So both are dangerous in that they can cause electrocution, but AC seems more dangerous based off what rumbleroar said about? Is this correct?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Oh yeah Edison**

So both are dangerous in that they can cause electrocution, but AC seems more dangerous based off what rumbleroar said about? Is this correct?
omfg; they are both dangerous!!!!!

rumbleroar could have argued the converse but does that mean DC would be more dangerous? answer: NO!

they are both very dangerous

/thread end

QZP

HSC

So both are dangerous in their own rights; you cannot definitively say one is more dangerous than the other. Is this correct? I'm just confused because people always talk about this type of stuff. No need to be hasty to end discussion :)

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

So both are dangerous in their own rights; you cannot definitively say one is more dangerous than the other. Is this correct? I'm just confused because people always talk about this type of stuff. No need to be hasty to end discussion :)
precisely

not being hasty; it's just that you keep insisting that one is more dangerous than the other which is not true. both are dangerous in their own right

people talk about this stuff because there is more to life than gossip

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Yes they are both dangerous and you need properties of the material and source. Lets just say complex numbers may get involved in these calculations as the body may have capacitances or inductance in frequency domain. However proportionallu they are the same.

Science nerd there is no such thing as dc frequency!!!!!

The frequency of ac just affects heart pulses. It doesn' "come back" to shock you. It isn't electroman (me) :p

They both can burn and kill you trust me I have experience with almost being burnt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)