Why is it so hard to find a job? (1 Viewer)

westlife

HSC
Re: Why is it so hard to find a fucking job?

i started looking for a job at the start of year 9 and i didn't get one til a year and a half later. i applied everywhere and had tones of interviews.
i now work under westfarmers/coles group at kmart nad been there for nearly 2 years. I've picked up a few things.
Heres a tip for both coles, woolworths etc, all places with online applications.
1) a pplications have to go to head office and may get lost or take awhile, so keep them updated and re-submitt often.
2) they then get sent to area/stores, HOWEVER they only ever send the ones on that full avaiablity.
to get around this, say you avaiable everyday even if it's only 4pm til 10 pm they'll still get it. once you have the job a month later you can change it to whatever suits you.
i hope this helps anyone.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A

most jobs are available in november-december.. which means you should apply in october (christmas casuals) and then usually if you're any good they'll ask you to stay.. other wise that contract period expires.

also when finding a job it's more about who you know now, not what you know.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC

if ur doing a science or engineering degree, dont write it

what does that RGIS thing do?

patty4848

HSC

A High Way Man said:
if ur doing a science or engineering degree, dont write it

what does that RGIS thing do?
I can't remember what it stands for, but they are always looking for stocktakers. You need to be over 18 i think (so if you're at uni then you shouldn't have a problem) and it pays alright for a casual job. And no experience necessary.

I think they send out their stocktakers to stores and warehouses and they do their thing. Fully trained and all. Sounds really easy.

aileenli

HSC

Took me ages to find a job after I finished year 12.

Okay, imagine that you walk into a supermarket and hand your resume into the manager.
The manager is most likely to be some sad-ass in their 30's or 40's, still working on wages having dropped out of school in year 10 and then worked their way upwards - and they'll be there for just about the rest of their lives.

And then walks in a youthful, optimistic, high-school graduate - possibly studying a Commerce or Law degree at university that will guarantee them a paypacket the same size as the supermarket manager's, in the first year they graduate.

I totally understand their resentment :D

P

pLuvia

patty4848 said:
I can't remember what it stands for, but they are always looking for stocktakers. You need to be over 18 i think (so if you're at uni then you shouldn't have a problem) and it pays alright for a casual job. And no experience necessary.

I think they send out their stocktakers to stores and warehouses and they do their thing. Fully trained and all. Sounds really easy.
Sounds really boring lol

Well my first job was when I was in year 9 (oportos) then moved on to McDonalds after 3 months (year 10), then a newsagent (post HSC-first year uni) now BigW

Easiest jobs to get are fastfood, those jobs where you have to apply online are a real bitch to get takes a lot of time, time which can be spent working at a fastfood place lol

Or you could look for like office type jobs, data entry

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

Lizakith said:
Why do you assume that everyone is going after jobs for the money? The OP said he's applied for Maccas for pete's sake.
i didn't say everyone is going after jobs for the money. i said "you guys", meaning those who are struggling to find jobs for the wrong reasons.

if this character is applying for maccas "for pete's sake", please tell me that money and pure desperation are the primary reasons, because nothing good will come out from that job. you (intelligence assumed) and i both know that.

it is amazing how the unemployment rate is at a record low and people can't find a job. it is NOT a criticism. i just think you guys need to know where to look, rather than the generic woolies, fast-food, and retail stores, because they will be where everyone else is hunting.

CieL

HSC

wuddie said:
it is amazing how the unemployment rate is at a record low and people can't find a job. it is NOT a criticism. i just think you guys need to know where to look, rather than the generic woolies, fast-food, and retail stores, because they will be where everyone else is hunting.
Maybe you can suggest for other places to look?

Conspiración

HSC
N/A

chicky_pie said:
The reason why is because LABOR IS CURRENTLY IN POWER, WALL TO WALL LABOR!
Fuck me.
That has nothing to do with it. It's not even a joke anymore. Seriously, I'm not enjoying Ruddism, but
"Omg, your house is on fire!"
"This wouldn't have happened under Howard!"

is really starting to shit me.

Taco, join the club. It's been years.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Conspiración said:
Fuck me.
That has nothing to do with it. It's not even a joke anymore. Seriously, I'm not enjoying Ruddism, but
"Omg, your house is on fire!"
"This wouldn't have happened under Howard!"

is really starting to shit me.

Taco, join the club. It's been years.

No.

I do not want to fuck you.

k,thx.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

CieL said:
Maybe you can suggest for other places to look?
certainly ma'm.

i can't tell you the exact name of the places, but telemarketing industry is always after people, both inbound and outbound. decent pay.

i got mates who work for a survey company (can't remember the name, you know the one that always does surveys for smh), and they are struggling to find staff. they pay awesome but no one knows about it. well, now you do.

bars, rsl, clubs are generally recruitting because they don't want to have to pay penalty rates. so get yourself a rsa and a rcg and you're in a rare breed.

you just have to look elsewhere besides the ones everyone looks for. it makes sense because you've placed yourself with a greater chance.

Roguedeth

HSC

They Taaking Ourrr Jabbs

westlife

HSC

aileenli said:
Took me ages to find a job after I finished year 12.

Okay, imagine that you walk into a supermarket and hand your resume into the manager.
The manager is most likely to be some sad-ass in their 30's or 40's, still working on wages having dropped out of school in year 10 and then worked their way upwards - and they'll be there for just about the rest of their lives.

And then walks in a youthful, optimistic, high-school graduate - possibly studying a Commerce or Law degree at university that will guarantee them a paypacket the same size as the supermarket manager's, in the first year they graduate.

I totally understand their resentment :D
i know my manager who is only 21 (his dad is the longest serving manager in the area, who you know, aye?) and when some hands him a resume, he takes it and throws it in the bin. all because they are done online and it keeps an even playing field. but the then more then half the staff are some how related. hell i got my job because my mum worked with his dad when they were teens. it still took me forever to get the job.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC

wuddie said:
certainly ma'm.

i can't tell you the exact name of the places, but telemarketing industry is always after people, both inbound and outbound. decent pay.

i got mates who work for a survey company (can't remember the name, you know the one that always does surveys for smh), and they are struggling to find staff. they pay awesome but no one knows about it. well, now you do.

bars, rsl, clubs are generally recruitting because they don't want to have to pay penalty rates. so get yourself a rsa and a rcg and you're in a rare breed.

you just have to look elsewhere besides the ones everyone looks for. it makes sense because you've placed yourself with a greater chance.
Thankyou! Being constructive rather than just saying people are doing it wrong is a step forward.

Were you saying that you find it amazing that people are finding it hard to find a job (lolfind) because unemployment is so low? Because low unemployment rates indicates to me that there would be fewer jobs. Either that or there would be a problem with there not being enough applicants for jobs, which would make it easier to get employed...

It could swing either way.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^

It is my opinion that the unemployment rates is so low because they're all taken.

I'm just going to join the Reserves.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
reserves is a way out. speaking of which, i am already in the AR, so if i am somehow unemployed, i can always jump over there and see what they can offer.

i think the unemployment rate is low because there are not enough people filling the gaps. if you look in the paper, there are thousands of jobs advertised every week. any employer will tell you it is getting harder and harder to find people. this should be the best time to find a job. it makes sense because when you have a low unemployment rate, there is less competition.

an ecomomics student can tell you the labor demand is outstripping the supply. that's why we can demand higher wages, therefore inflation and whatnot. you get what i mean. the point is, if you really want a job, now is the time.

L-esky

HSC
yeah I've been trying to find work for after school/weekends for the past 2 years and a lot of places don't even respond to my applications or if they do i go for the interview and never get further than that step.
It's driving me crazy because I then see some of the drongos who actually get the job and I fail to see how they could be better than me...yeah I know I sound up myself etc but it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean I went for an interview at kfc last holidays (thats how desperate I'm getting) and I thought it went well, I presented myself well etc and answered all their questions but I didn't get the job and then I found out this girl I go to school with did get the job and I have no idea how she did...I mean no joke she always smells and I honestly don't think she washes. Yeah, I know that sounds mean but it's the truth and she doesn't present well, speak clearly like everything I thought would be important but obviously isn't. Although, it did make me feel even better about the fact that I don't eat there now that I know the kind of people they employ.
I figured out recently though that the fact that I live out of town and my parents work and I don't have my p's/own car may turn potential employers off...it doesn't make it suck less though.

*rUsTy*

HSC

wuddie said:
i don't want to sound cocky, but not only have i got every job i went after, but i've also knocked back a few...

you guys need to find jobs that you're happy to be working at, not purely for the money. that way you would actually stay at the job for more than a month.
I am exactly the same. I have got every single job I applied for and have been working and making my own money ever since I was 15.

I started at what people will more often than not, avoid applying for, and that is the very bottom (KFC). I then moved up to Telstra Stadium as well as Acer Arena working with food, and getting a major pay rise.

I now have a really cool job which I enjoy and get paid a lot for as an Usher at Acer Arena.

My advice, start at the bottom, don't expect to get a great job at first. Get experience and it'll pay off. Employers like to see that you started at the bottom and worked your way up through various jobs.

rebeccalbanks

HSC
I got my job without having to hand in a resume or have an interview (I did work experience there and then like a year after I did that they needed someone to work Saturdays and they offered me the job) but after some reckless spending I'm broke and I'm tempted to work Sundays somewhere else. But yeah anyway...hand resumes into places even if they aren't looking for anyone at the moment. It shows your proactive and that you really want the job.

aileenli

HSC
Where did you do work experience? Nail place or a hair dresser's I bet. The guy already said he handed out 50+ resumes, and most of them get binned anyway, as opposed to showing persistance. I s'pose you could keep giving them resumes to show how much you *really* want the job, but that would look desperate over persistant.

EDIT: it says hairdressers in the other thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)